Dec 26, 2015, 04:36 PM
GTH NFL
Thread OP
Discussion

Why do squirrels hate the lord baby jesus?

I've been stringing lights outside for the holidays for years, decades really. I have never had this problem until this year. I've had six light sets disabled by squirrels. They are chewing the wires in two. Unfortunately they are biting them off right at the light socket, so all that's left is a nub.

I thought it might have something to do with the LEDs, but it appears they are doing the damage during the day. I watched one do it to a set hung on our barn in the middle of the afternoon. Boredom? Curiosity? Intentional?
Dec 26, 2015, 04:40 PM
Closed Account
Maybe they think mankind has offered them gifts of glowing fruit.
Dec 26, 2015, 04:44 PM
GTH NFL
Thread OP
Well, he was holding the bulb like a nut.
Dec 26, 2015, 04:46 PM
Squirrels did the same to my outdoor lights. Thank the EPA. They want the insulation to degrade when put in landfills. Therefore instead of vinyl plastic used for insulation it is now made out of soybeans.
Dec 26, 2015, 04:55 PM
GTH NFL
Thread OP
Interesting theory, they're not eating the insulation, but maybe.
Dec 26, 2015, 04:56 PM
------
Quote:
Originally Posted by little nail
Squirrels did the same to my outdoor lights. Thank the EPA. They want the insulation to degrade when put in landfills. Therefore instead of vinyl plastic used for insulation it is now made out of soybeans.
So squirrels have no devilish intentions after all
Dec 26, 2015, 07:24 PM
I'd rather be Flying
Leave'em on 24/7
Dec 26, 2015, 07:50 PM
When they chewed my wiring in two, they took the female connect and who knows how many lights. Must have taken it to their nest for dessert.
Dec 26, 2015, 07:53 PM
GTH NFL
Thread OP
Squirrels are evil.
Dec 26, 2015, 08:16 PM
------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Park_Flyer
Squirrels are evil.
You might be right
...........They has chewed through the insulation on the wires and made the whole town’s power die! (The Squirrel who did it was fried). And at Christmas time, one of their terrorists, got fried in a transformer in Rock Creek, BC and took out all the telephones! Once one lived in my Mommy’s car and ate the back seat from the inside out!......
http://thecatfromhell.blogspot.ca/20...ation-day.html
Last edited by coriolan; Dec 26, 2015 at 08:22 PM.
Dec 26, 2015, 10:34 PM
Many types of lighting and electrical insulation today is made of soy based materials. Soy based means they are eaten by mice and other rodents.

Capitalism dictates that the money to be made overrides longevity of the product.

Welcome to the 21st Century.
Dec 27, 2015, 01:53 AM
heard hillary might be running for president ....trying electrocute themselves
Dec 27, 2015, 03:52 AM
I dunno if they hate Jesus, it seems maybe they are anxious to meet him?
Dec 27, 2015, 05:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Park_Flyer

I've been stringing lights outside for the holidays for years, decades really. I have never had this problem until this year. I've had six light sets disabled by squirrels. They are chewing the wires in two. Unfortunately they are biting them off right at the light socket, so all that's left is a nub.

I thought it might have something to do with the LEDs, but it appears they are doing the damage during the day. I watched one do it to a set hung on our barn in the middle of the afternoon. Boredom? Curiosity? Intentional?
I've had this problem for years, even with old style lighting. I stopped putting lights on the roof because I couldn't keep them all on for more than a couple days at a time before the squirrels would chew them.

The terrorists have won. I didn't put up a single light this year.
Dec 27, 2015, 06:20 AM
Closed Account
We used to have tree rats. They've been persuaded to go away.

Quick Reply