This thread is privately moderated by Aeromister, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Dec 25, 2015, 11:20 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Sporty Forty Reduced to a Sporty Thirty

I received the 75% Sporty 40 short kit early this week so I thought I would get things started. Time is limited between all the Christmas and New Year’s activities but as you can see things went together pretty fast. The Short kit (cut by Balsaworkbench) was pretty complete, the wood was nice and light, and the cutting was right on the money with the reduced copies of the plans. For the most part I followed Ken Willard’s construction article sequence. I also measured and cut the cabanes to length – the front cabanes are slightly longer which gives the upper wing a slight positive incidence to the lower wing and stab.

With the Saito being a little longer than a typical 2 stroke, I was originally going to extend the fuselage but decided to just move the firewall back. Since the firewall had been cut to the height for the original position, I had to add a small piece of spruce to the bottom. The fuselage went together really fast as you can see in the pictures below. I got the landing gear plate cut and fit, but decided to wait to glue it in until I get the lower wing built so I could predrill the holes for the hold down dowels.

One thing to watch out for, if you build one of these is when you move the firewall back you limit the room for the fuel tank. I had to cut a hole in the former at the back of the fuel tank compartment to accommodate the length of a 4 oz slant tank. This was no problem since I wanted to be able to install and remove the fuel tank from the bottom opening in the fuselage.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 23, 2016, 10:04 AM
///////
Did you actually tried diesel? Your old post just got 'revived'
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310418

Quick Reply