Sep 02, 2004, 09:46 AM
This is funny, I did a similar thing. Plane was single channel Ace pulse, Tee Dee .020, no throttle. On it's maiden flight I filled the tank and it took off like an angry hornet, .010 would have been plenty. Way out of trim and balance. Three plus minutes of hammer-head stalls seems like a life time. Finially came down accross the road in a horse corral. When I get there, 15 years old at the time, there are two wild eyed horses running around and a very angry horse owner. To his credit, he gave me the plane back, covered in what you find in a horse corral, and didn't even make me go in there with those two horses to get it. His look said "don't come back again". Got home and the first thing I read in the trimming instructions is "Don't fill the tank".
Funny thing is the friend standing next to me had his first flight a few weeks later with a 4 channel plane, way over powered. He fought it for about 2 minutes before it crashed. Never thought to close the throttle. Those were the days.
Sorry for going off topic.

Dave
to remove ads between posts
Sep 02, 2004, 10:41 AM
Dave,

Thanks for the story - I remember when theis flight stuff was such a big mystery. Now it is just an enigma...

Great memories!
Sep 02, 2004, 12:35 PM
Thread OP
Good stories, all!

I gave away some of the Sky Runner and Lightnings to friends and friends with kids, and a recurring theme is that they hit the charger for a full minute (or more), straight out of the box, whereas it's usually already pretty juiced up from the factory.

I'd say one out of every two planes does an endless climb into the sky, and into oblivion!

If I give one away now, I also give out the admonition, "turn it on and empty the battery before you even put it together".

Nonetheless, I've had immense fun with both of them, just as free-flights. I'm looking forward to the bipe conversion.

--------------

Regarding the bipe, I started mapping out my conversion a couple nights ago - it looks like it will be fairly straightforward; there seems to be plenty of room in there for the Cirrus 4.4's (on sale now at HobbyPeople, by the way!), and the GWS R4P with end-on pins.

I was originally going to try to cram a B2C in there some way, but I think I'm going to put that motor back for another time and use the EDP100 with a 4025 prop. I have a GWS 2A ESC that I think will do the job. Fitting motor in there looks like it will be the challenge...

I've heard the real Acro-Bipe (rubber free-flight version?) houses a steel ball in the nose for weight. I don't think this electric plane has one. Anybody found one in theirs yet?

I'd like to remove the plastic bracket at the rear that holds on the tail planes, and replace the stabilizer with my own depron setup, but somebody at the plane factory felt generous with the glue that day, so I'll be using the stock elevator with a torsion bar to connect the two halves.

The plane parts, less the landing gear, weigh about 33g, so I'm headed for an all-up weight around 70g. I'm estimating around 10oz wing loading (heavier than I wanted, really), but plenty of power at close to 100 Watts/Pound.

More to come...
Sep 02, 2004, 04:35 PM
That lightening sure flys well. I have been flying rc for many years, but I am still amazed. So much better than the "Spicy Wing". I increased the charge time to 3 minutes on my third flight and sure enough it flew away.
Sep 02, 2004, 05:10 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by bykrdan

I'd say one out of every two planes does an endless climb into the sky, and into oblivion!
I buy them when they are on sale to give away as gifts to nieces and nephews. I help with the trim and make sure the battery is maxed out. I would say we loose 3 out of 4 of them. That is the plan.
jimbo
Sep 02, 2004, 05:19 PM
Awhile ago there were a few threads on very light electric timers so that you could have the motor cut off exactly when you want it to. Do a search and they should be easy to find. Sounds like a good addition if you don't want to go all the way to RC.

Dave
Sep 03, 2004, 07:00 AM
anyone know of a different place to by these that doesn't charge 6 dollars for handling.....
comes out to $19 with shipping and handling. $10 plane plus $9 to get it to me! please
Sep 03, 2004, 07:31 AM
My local B&M Harbor Freight has no plans to carry them locally. Is there enough intrerest for a group buy?? Someone to act a point man for the inital shipment and then distribute them from there..
Sep 03, 2004, 07:42 AM
Flying Free
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiberius
My local B&M Harbor Freight has no plans to carry them locally. Is there enough intrerest for a group buy?? Someone to act a point man for the inital shipment and then distribute them from there..
Same story here. Local HF stores (three of them) have about twenty of the Lightning and Skyrunner that they have had for over a year. They have no plans of stocking the Biplane. I would want three of the Biplanes, but the shipping and handling adds $13, that is a bit steep, but I'm not shure that a group buy can cut that by too much, especially if you count the hassle. Ordering 3 biplanes makes the cost $14 each. I think I'll wait until I've built the other planes I have in the boxes before ordering.
Sep 03, 2004, 09:35 AM
Krued Up

cool pusher

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=43678
Sep 03, 2004, 09:57 AM
Thats NOT indestructible
Hi

I live in the UK and would like to get some Lightning's to convert and one of the $15 digital calipers (the same ones cost around $70 here). Harbour freight want $55 to ship it here which is crazy. Do you guys thing my best bet is to get somone to get it at a local harbour freight (are there lots around?) and UPS it here (which will be less then $55)?

Thanks
Josh
Sep 03, 2004, 03:27 PM
Hey y'all... watch this!
J8M8l - I have the 6" Centech (Centek) brand calipers that HF sells for $20. I don't know how I ever lived without them. Digital readout in inches and mm. You might also notice the dizzying array of rotary tool bits that they sell (not Dremel brand).

Tiberius / Erashby - Thanks for info about local HF stores not having them in stock. I was about to make the 25 mi trip to get two for myself. Now I will call first.

Everyone - I thought HF offered free shipping for orders over $50 !?!
Sep 03, 2004, 03:40 PM
I am building an addition to my house, and added a few of these to my nail gun order, I think that the handling price is in line, even with shipping for just one (less than $50) if you look at the alternative. I have paid $15 for a FF Wal-Mart fomie, and $30 for a Wal-Mart single channel plane before.

Fritz
Sep 03, 2004, 03:42 PM
Hey y'all... watch this!
Ah, now I get it. The buyer is charged $5.95 handeling for any size order, however, orders over $50 get free shipping.

My local HF (Everett, WA) does have 62 of the Pusher Planes in stock, but no Bipes.

I might just have to stop by this weekend and get a couple as test platforms for my CDROM motors etc.
Sep 03, 2004, 05:13 PM
Hey y'all... watch this!
I just got off the phone with the owner of UBHobbies. They are willing to sell the Acrobipe for $11.95 / ea. + Shipping.

Additionally, they have the Funcraft Mustang and Spitfire as well as other models to choose from.

Here is a listing of possible freeflight conversion planes at UB Hobbies.
http://www.ubhobbies.com/displayroom...l?catuid=14722

To get the Acrobipe deal at $11.95 you will need to call in your order instead of ordering online.

FYI, the Acrobipe is a 15" ws rubber powered model.
The HF biplane is a 10" ws electric model.

Quick Reply