Real hoverboard.

Judging by the video, it's surprising quiet
to remove ads between posts
Dec 24, 2015, 09:48 PM
Rapidly aging user
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCvertt
Judging by the video, it's surprising quiet
LOL - if 36 EDF's at full chat can be quiet maybe I can be young again.. I think I'll save my $20K (!) for now...
Dec 25, 2015, 12:42 AM
Being young again would be nice.

Good news though. Looks like it comes with these ear plugs that are barely noticeable
Last edited by RCvertt; Dec 25, 2015 at 02:49 AM.
Dec 25, 2015, 01:21 AM
Cool. It's a lot different from the designs I had come up with, but I think it's great that they made a working product.

However, there are HUGE inefficiency losses that could have been addressed. Six minutes of use before the batteries run out for $20K...

I really like the concept of a skirtless design for a hoverboard, but why didn't they adopt any of the technology on skirtless hovercraft designs that has been developed in the last 60 years?

The Air Board never really caught on for a number of reasons due to it's own design problems, but is still a lot more efficient.

Airboard | The Personal Hovercraft (1 min 43 sec)
Dec 25, 2015, 08:10 AM
From the article:

Quote:
For the first time in history, every person will be able to fly whenever they want, wherever they want. ArcaBoard represents the first revolutionary breakthrough in motion since the the bicycle, automobile and airplane.

ArcaBoard represents total freedom of movement, total freedom of travel. ArcaBoard is a personal vehicle that can move in every possible direction including upwards.
From the Arca website:

Quote:
Now you can have wings. Now you can walk on air. Now you can overcome your limitations. Now you can become a superhero. ArcaBoard will make you get there. Your perception of who you are and who you can become will be forever changed. ArcaBoard it's an extension of your will and creativity by offering raw lifting power and total freedom of movement. There are no limits, no restrictions, no boundaries. There is only you and ArcaBoard.
Poe's Law strikes again, I'd be totally convinced this is just a parody of the usual kickstarter culture nonsense if I didn't know otherwise. At least they've gone all out with the crazy, I can't wait to get one of these and transcend to a new plane of consciousness when riding it

Still it's an impressive accomplishment, for a certain definition of impressive.....you wonder if they done any research at all on hovercraft or just said 'EDFs are cool right? So they must be the most efficient way of generating static thrust right? And if a dozen won't do we can just keep adding more can't we?'

And that video, geez I couldn't make it past about a minute for the cringing, you wonder how anyone managed it with a straight face. For added laughs here's a quick tour of the FAQs:

Quote:
Upon request, the batteries could be charged by ARCA, either during the warranty time, or after that period. After the warranty time, the cost to change the batteries is $6,840.
$20k for the board and they can't afford someone to proofread apparently.

Also these two are right next to each other:

Quote:
There is no terrain that you can't pass over.
Quote:
If the ArcaBoard will end up submerged in water, the machine must be let to dry. Do not attempt to power it on if water is present inside.
It can pass over anything and offers total freedom of movement including upwards! *cough* limitedto30cmsheight *cough*

Guys, please stop I'm dying over here

In all seriousness I have to admire this thing. If someone posted the idea here they'd be ridiculed for it, it's nice to know you can succeed if you throw enough power at the problem. Wouldn't want to be near this thing if one of the batteries decided to go boom though!

From what I've read I think the board might actually have the thrust to leave ground effect and fly around freely, it's just limited by software/sensors. It seems to be actively stabilised by computer as well (like a multirotor) which gives me this image of someone hacking it to remove the height limitation....that'd really be a sight to see and would almost justify the price.

10/10 entertainment, the best thing I've ever read on christmas!
Dec 25, 2015, 10:07 AM
In the 1970's or 80's, there was a Popular Mechanics article on one that you could build with a 5 hp vertical shaft motor and a 24" prop that you could mail order. (before the ebay thing) It was made mostly out of 1/8" mahogony (sorry, Luan now) doorskins, and was about 7 ft. diameter. You would lean in the direction you wanted to go. I bought a motor for one, and then kind of stalled on the project. I think it was mostly for parking lots, but was considerably less than $20,000.
Dec 25, 2015, 06:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiftySlicks
...From what I've read I think the board might actually have the thrust to leave ground effect and fly around freely, it's just limited by software/sensors. It seems to be actively stabilised by computer as well (like a multirotor) which gives me this image of someone hacking it to remove the height limitation....that'd really be a sight to see and would almost justify the price.

10/10 entertainment, the best thing I've ever read on christmas!
The thrust to weight it has also makes it pretty much a death trap. One malfunction and it shoots you to the moon. I'm afraid that skateboards work as well as they do because of friction. Remove most friction like this build does and you remove the control that friction provides as well. You'd need some serious thrusters all around this thing to keep it straight.
Dec 27, 2015, 04:17 AM
People are so easily conned...
If it can go over any surface water included then why is there no video of this?
-Over sand or gravel etc the edf.'s would be eroded by the abrasive airflow in seconds.
-Over water the spray would be horrendous and the water impact on the fans would reduce the rpm and lift, apart from the high cushion pressure creating a depression as deep as the air cushion. Therefore zero elevation above the surrounding water and very limited forward speed e.g. 3-4km/h at best.
Control etc on any type of sloping ground? Non existent.

Not to say it isn't some kind of achievement to arrange so much power in such a small space. But 180lb's is quite heavy. Not the kind of thing you can just carry under you arm like a surfboard once the batteries are flat. In fact it would need a trailer similar to a jet ski.

Well i promised myself not to put other peoples ideas down but surely its far too premature to be promoting and taking orders for. Maybe $20k is not that much these days.
Oct 28, 2017, 01:28 PM
Hi Pete my old mate. Got to agree with you on this one. That board is just crazy. An accident weighting to happen. Hell if you want to fly pay the price and get a B-10 jet pack. A much safer bet. Thought you might like to know I'm planing on building a new machine using your intergrated flap system. Just the same except the top hull design. Say hi to Fredo for me.
Last edited by Shane green; Oct 28, 2017 at 01:34 PM.