Dec 24, 2015, 06:50 PM
HighFlyGuy
Thread OP
Discussion

I am going to buy a 3D printer for myself!! Looky?

I've been looking around for some cheap decent kits. This one seems to be decent for a clone and has a larger print area than most clones.

The price is great and the quality seems good considering what it is, a good starter printer to learn and tinker with.

Any comments? Good or Bad? Suggestions regarding 3D printing?

I've been reading for months and want to add 3D printing to my hobbies!

HoHoHo!!!!

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Big-s...ml#60615998307
to remove ads between posts
Dec 26, 2015, 01:40 AM
HighFlyGuy
Thread OP
HoHoNoBodyCares
Dec 26, 2015, 02:32 PM
It's one of the many i3 Prusa clones (seems like everyone in China is attempting to sell a copy of it). There's no way to know how it will compare to all the others that look just like it. It is based on open source firmware, which is a plus if you like to tinker.

My i3 Prusa clone gave me a lot of trouble, but it is working well now:
http://www.rc-cam.com/forum/index.ph...s-3d-printers/

- Thomas
Dec 26, 2015, 02:43 PM
HighFlyGuy
Thread OP
Awhile back I was going to order the one in the image you posted, it was around $340
This one has a larger build area, so it says. I guess we'll see how it works out

Thanks for the link
Dec 26, 2015, 08:46 PM
Citizen 46

I am going to buy a 3D printer for myself!! Looky?

I looked at a lot of the Prusa i3 clones and the reviews/feedback were all over the place. One thing that was consistent was the generally poor support. Since this was my first 3D printer, I decided to spend a little extra and get an i3 kit from Mr. Prusa himself. http://www.prusa3d.com

It went together without a hitch, and has been working great with no problems for three weeks now. I'm really happy with it so far!!
Last edited by rnettles; Dec 26, 2015 at 08:52 PM.
Dec 26, 2015, 09:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by highflyguy
I've been looking around for some cheap decent kits. This one seems to be decent for a clone and has a larger print area than most clones.

The price is great and the quality seems good considering what it is, a good starter printer to learn and tinker with.

Any comments? Good or Bad? Suggestions regarding 3D printing?

I've been reading for months and want to add 3D printing to my hobbies!

HoHoHo!!!!

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Big-s...ml#60615998307

As Thomas said above, seems like every store in china is making or selling their own I3 clone.. and that's a lot of different I3 style printers to choose from

The I3 design itself is a well proven and although I haven't owned one myself, I think is a good choice for your 1st printer and something to tinker with.. and you will need to tinker with any of the cheaper derivatives

Generally, they all use the same or similar electronics (mega 2560, ramps 1.4, lcd etc) as well as similar steppers. Providing they all work, worst case is you can re-use the electronics and steppers for something else. With the volumes getting bigger and bigger all the time, costs for the electronics and steppers to suit I3 is getting cheaper all the time so your seeing cheaper and cheaper kits.

Some of where the costs also get cut to make them cheaper is hotend and extruders, I predict at some point you will upgrade both , nothing wrong with that, all part of the learning and tinkering, and hopefully what comes is good enough initially to work fine until your ready to upgrade.

Other cost cutting areas is the heated bed, thinner aluminium, or cheaper materials, lower wattage beds, possibly bad for hot & cool spots on the bed will make for part of the learning process, and again I predict you may upgrade the heated bed at some point, or you may be ready for a better printer before you get to that point.

Lastly the frame, rigidity is king, any wobbling or flexing can and probably will affect your print quality, weak wobbly frames either will make your prints terrible or will force you to print very slow.
Having a larger print area is good, but if they have just extended things without strengthening or going for thicker material.. it could be a significant problem. I suggest while your assembling, cast a critical eye over the entire frame and look for ways to strengthen it as you go. The coolest and best way is to decide what needs strengthening and then once you have it up and running, print off re-inforcing items you can bolt onto the frame / rod ends etc that will strengthen everything and make it more rigid.
You will get lots off satisfaction knowing you have customised and improved your own printer.. by printing your own parts

Thingiverse and yeggi.com are excellent places to look for printable I3 frame / extruder parts others have made to improve their I3 printers.

Good luck
Dec 27, 2015, 10:27 AM
HighFlyGuy
Thread OP
Thanks for the info, I've been reading more lately. It always comes down to having the item in hand for when some of the information actually makes sense or clicks. At least for me.

I'm really excited, I want it mostly to learn and be able to print anything I would need to fix something, or tools, etc. Some of the items are crazy, the NASA wrench, the scissor jack. Both are all printed in one piece that actually function and are printed in 1 single piece, not multiple parts that you put together. It is crazy!
Dec 31, 2015, 09:34 AM
KC9TPL- Get Legit
Look at the Eclips3d. They guy putting the kits together will provide great support. Much more expensive but totally worth it for the speed and print quality. Will only print PLA.
Dec 31, 2015, 10:11 AM
HighFlyGuy
Thread OP
Thanks, the printer is on it's way! I'll have it soon and I'll post how it goes
Jan 03, 2016, 02:25 PM
Nice find, was going to spend double that on a ready built printer but this might just be worth a go at that price
Mar 24, 2020, 06:14 PM
Suspended Account
I got a markforge mark2 3D printer and it prints really well. 3D printing is cool, why not try it out I bet you'll love it @ highflyguy.
Mar 27, 2020, 08:11 PM
treefinder
The printer you linked to looks identical to the Anet A8 I bought from banggood.com about a year ago. (Currently $139 https://m.banggood.com/Anet-A8-DIY-3...l?rmmds=search ) . Mine didn't come with the two spools of filament, though.

My experience with it has been quite good. I put the kit together on a long afternoon, following the powerpoint slide show and a video. Printed a simple box about the size of a matchbox right after finishing the assembly. I have added only a few "enhancements ", including an x axis tensioner, platten adjuster finger wheels to replace the screws original, a quarter inch plate glass plate cover, and bearing stabilizers for top of jack screws. Um, I also replaced the linear ball bearings with sliders. Probably added 20 bucks to the cost, as most included printed parts right off the A8. Most of my prints are small plane parts, although I did print Z axis frame and needle cutter and some fairly large cowls. It has been a good machine for the parts I need. You can probably lunch off any A8 posts you find, as well as .stil files on thingiverse designed for the A8.

Banggood is a good source for replacement parts. After a year's use with PLA and PET I replaced the hot end hollow shaft and nozzle. Got a set of five - lifetime supply?
Last edited by springer; Mar 27, 2020 at 08:16 PM.
Mar 27, 2020, 08:42 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
I'm sorry, but I don't understand why so many people like Banggood. Every time I have ordered something from them they take FOREVER to ship, even from the U.S. warehouse, and what 'really' ticks me off is they show something 'in stock' in the U.S., yet after I order it, I get notices that it will ship from the Canadian warehouse. Canada is NOT the U.S.!! I am awaiting an order right now that said it would ship in 2-3 days, then air freight would be 3-8 days. It has now been 23 days, and it says it is being sorted.

SteveT.
Latest blog entry: My shop....
Mar 27, 2020, 11:55 PM
Me and a guy with a mustache
Yeah, I've been screwed by Banggood (appropriate name for them) a few times. I've spent at least a couple of thousand dollars with them but their last screw-up was the final straw for me so I've been avoiding them if at all possible.

Anyway, I've had my Curality Ender 3 for at least 3 years now and it is my first 3D printer and I couldn't be happier. I can think of only 3 must-have upgrades for it and other than those it has been working like a champ with very little down time. The only thing that has failed on it is the filament feeder, which is made of plastic. I replaced it with an all aluminum unit and it's been fine since. The only consistent maintenance I do is changing the nozzle a couple times a year and cleaning the glass bed every month or so. I would compare the print quality and reliability of my Ender 3 up against a Prusa any day of the week. Not saying the Prusa is not a quality machine, but if budget is a concern, an Ender 3 or Ender 3 Pro can't be beat. It's a favorite printer for many You Tuber's, including Teaching Tech.
Mar 28, 2020, 08:24 AM
treefinder
I've been getting stuff from banggood for 4-5 years at least ( it became my mail order source after Harbor Freight started doing brick and mortar stores, I just drive to them [picked up a predator 212 and wheels for a go kart for grandkids yesterday]). I admit I have had a few glitches, one item never showed, but they refunded cost. A lipo got lost in the 'ether' for over a month, I emailed them, they refunded, it finally showed up, they told me to keep it. I usually order $10-20 at a time , mostly motors, esc, servo, lipo stuff and it takes 2 weeks to get to MI sometimes 14 days (). Seems odd it takes longer to get to CA than MI. I always select the cheapest shipping with tracking, unless the item is only a few bucks and an optional vs need one, then it goes cheapest. I don't place orders around Chinese new year or any US holidays.

Quick Reply