Dec 24, 2015, 12:23 PM
we can take off without that
Thread OP
Discussion

Speed controller immediate reverse?

Hello.
After a long time I am getting back into RC boats.
Does anyone know if any Hobby King ESC has immediate reverse function?
I bought the Turnigy Marine 35A, which has reverse, but it is really difficult to engage. I have to bring the throttle to neutral, then move it half way to reverse, then back to neutral, then again to reverse and only then motor will engage in reverse.
Surely there must be some cheap brushless esc which can engage reverse more easily?
I had a tiny Schulze brushed esc before and it engaged reverse immediately.

Thanks
to remove ads between posts
Dec 24, 2015, 01:14 PM
Submarine or Target?
I have a HK esc that acts that way. But it was meant for crawler trucks. I have to program the brake function out if it. I just printed the data sheet this morning. It will probably be January before I get a chance to try it. As an industrial maintenance tech, I have a lot of 12hr shifts to work between now and Jan 1.
Dec 24, 2015, 04:17 PM
Thread OP
I learned a bit more about cheap Turnigy and similar boat ESCs.
Looks like most of them are derived from car Esc and have a brake function.
Apparently to go in reverse is a function called 'double tap' where you have to go to neutral, then to reverse (nothing happens) then back to neutral, then to reverse and motor will run.

Unfortunately this is no good for tugs, battleships and other slow boats which are heavy and have a lot of momentum. These boats need reverse immediately if they are on a collision course with weeds, branches, etc, otherwise small detail can get damaged such as PE railings etc.

It is not clear if HK's cheap Turnigy boat ecs have the double tap function or not. It is also not clear if the brake function is separate from double tap so even if brake function is switched off the esc still requires the double tap action to engage reverse.

Shame because I really need 4 or 5 cheap escs for very low amps, my tug draws only 3A at max throttle with 45mm tug prop on a 2s Lipo battery. And even then it moves too fast not scale.

Another thread on RC groups mentions that Castle Creation boat escs engage reverse directly from neutral without double tap, but looks like they are all out of production and they are very expensive anyway, and for very high amps where as I only need 3A.

I'll keep looking.
Dec 24, 2015, 10:02 PM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
green flyer look here: http://www.mtroniks.net/cat/Boat-Speed-Controls Good ESCs reasonably priced. You don't even have to ship them overseas since they are UK made.
Dec 24, 2015, 10:52 PM
KC8WPF
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_flyer
Unfortunately this is no good for tugs, battleships and other slow boats which are heavy and have a lot of momentum. These boats need reverse immediately if they are on a collision course with weeds, branches, etc, otherwise small detail can get damaged such as PE railings etc.
There are still some full size tugs around with direct drive direct reversing Diesel engine. Some are ex Army ST's, others are NY State Canal tugs. When I was stationed on the Columbia River Lightship, we had a direct drive direct reversing Fairbanks Morse Diesel. Going into reverse right away on models of those type tugs might appear unrealistic in a nav competition.
Dec 25, 2015, 01:41 AM
I would "second" the MTRONIKS line, of Marine speed controls. Good product, good price! I have them in 3 of the 4 tugs, that I regularly use.
Dec 25, 2015, 01:51 PM
Thread OP
Thanks very much, MTronik escs look good. The price is a bit high, cheapest brushless is 46
I only need one for the tug so I may have to accept this price.

I also noticed this one from Robbe, Roxxy BL Control 730, but its not clear if there is a reverse and how it works. I'll ask the shop if they have details about it.
http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/...ntrollers.html

I also have a 1/200 Missouri build I'm hoping to start soon, I would like to power all 4 props, for this build I need much cheaper escs x 4.
Ironically the motors are very cheap and seem to be good quality, in the tug i have a Turnigy Aerodrive 900kv 28mm outrunner, it is very smooth and lots of torque on just 2s. It cost only around 10, I will probably be putting these in the Missouri as well.
Dec 25, 2015, 05:47 PM
I see all your typos
You don't need four ESCs for each motor/prop. One ESC for four motors will do as having independent control of each motor is likewise not needed--this is not a pivot-on-a-dime type of vessel. For maneuverability, the rudders should do just fine.
Dec 25, 2015, 08:19 PM
Nickel Belter
If you'd actually read his post, you'd see he's talking about a brushless motor, which means each will need its own ESC.
Dec 25, 2015, 09:36 PM
Answered to the wrong posted thread. I must be getting old.
Last edited by frankg; Dec 26, 2015 at 12:47 AM.
Dec 25, 2015, 11:20 PM
I see all your typos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ56
If you'd actually read his post, you'd see he's talking about a brushless motor, which means each will need its own ESC.
All right. I can handle the admonishment--guilty as charged, But did you know that you can indeed run multiple brushless motors on one brushless ESC?

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1357604
Dec 26, 2015, 12:54 AM
One thing I might add to the subject is that if you are going to try to run more than one brushless motor with one speed control, make sure that they are sensorless motors. You cannot run two sensored motors on one speed control.

The much safer way is to run two speed controls thru a servo Y harness to the receiver.
Dec 26, 2015, 05:56 AM
Thread OP
Yup I read about running two or more brushless motors with one esc. From what others have said you need very well matched motors and a high quality esc (expensive), and even then if one motor steps out of sync with the others, due to for example hitting a weed, you may have problems?

Searching a bit more on the web it seems some people managed to re-program their Turnigy Marine esc (a higher amp model) to direct forward/reverse.

I read more carefully the generic boat esc manual on HK's website, it does seem that they can be programmed in this way. So I will get a boat esc programming card and let you know how I get on. If it works its a huge relief, I can get 4 escs for less than 40 total. And the one esc I already have doesn't need to go to waste.

"1 Operation mode
Forward with brake can only move forward, when throttle reverse, it is brake, without reversing this mode is mainly used for racing.
Positive and negative rotation with brake: reverse function is available, when push the throttle from forward direction to the reverse zone, ship model is in the braking state, the throttle must return to the middle, and the motor stops operating then reversing. this mode is mainly used for training.
Direct positive and negative rotation: When push the throttle from the middle point region to the reverse zone, the motor reverses immediately"
Dec 28, 2015, 01:04 AM
Which way is it blowing?
Vantec makes really good speed controls.
They're not the most inexpensive, but they are rock solid and reliable.
I've used three. They all have immediate reverse.
Dec 31, 2015, 02:52 PM
Thread OP
I received the Hobby King 30A boat ESC and programming card. This ESC comes with 'brake' or 'double-tap' reverse, but with the programming card it can be easily programmed to direct reverse mode. This esc only costs around 9 so I am happy (if it lasts a long time).
Here is a quick video of forward-reverse operation with one continuous movement of the stick from forward to reverse.
Ignore the crash at the beginning, the TX slipped a bit on the hull.

HobbyKing 30A Boat ESC direct reverse test (0 min 19 sec)

Quick Reply