Dec 24, 2015, 02:20 AM
Where's the lift?
Yippee!

2016 Pacific Northwest Aerotow Schedule

Well, 2015 is coming to a close, and 2016 is just around the corner, so once again, it's time to start the regional Pacific Northwest Aerotow thread, and get some dates written down on the ol' hobby calendar!

The aerotow events shown here are for the Pacific Northwest, i.e., the upper left corner of the USA, including western and eastern Washington, Oregon, Northern CA, and British Columbia. As the calendar matures, additional events will be added, and dates will be confirmed as firm commitments come in from the event hosts.

Please feel free to add new event alerts and updates to this thread on an ongoing basis. This is the place to ask for details, such as directions and accommodations and such, from our veteran attenders. All dates are subject to change, so check back here often for updates (I will keep the list of events up-to-date by editing this Post Number One as required). So let's start sending in those invites and announcements. See all you glider addicts at the segelflugschleppens throughout the 2016 season. --- Don Bailey, glider junkie

RCSF Aerotow Spring Warm-up, Weaver's Field, Othello, WA, Wil Byers event host, Apr 8-10 (Fri-Sat-Sun)

Yakima Spring Tug Fest, Glessner's Field, Yakima, WA, Gene Cope event host, April 29-May 1 (Fri-Sat-Sun)

High Country Flyers Aerotow, Morrison Field, Kamloops, British Columbia, Dean Wichmann event host, May 20-22 (Fri-Sat-Sun)

Portland PASS aerotow, Willamette Turf, Salem OR, Jim Gibson event host, May 22 (Sunday)

Yakima Aerotow (17th Annual), Glessner's Field, Yakima, WA, Gene Cope CD, June 3-5 (Fri-Sat-Sun)

Portland PASS aerotow, Willamette Turf, Salem OR, Jim Gibson event host, June 12 (Sunday)

RCSF Aerotow Summer Opener, Weaver's Field, Othello WA, Wil Byers event host, June 24-26 (Fri-Sat-Sun)

Portland PASS aerotow, Willamette Turf, Salem OR, Jim Gibson event host, July 17 (Sunday)

Skagit Aerotow (formerly "Monroe Aerotow"), Concrete Muni Arpt, Concrete, WA, Don Bailey CD, July 30-31 (Sat-Sun)

Portland PASS aerotow, Willamette Turf, Salem OR, Jim Gibson event host, Aug 14 (Sunday)

Mission BC Aerotow (15th Annual), Anderson Sod Farm, Doug Aldridge CD, Aug 19-21 (Fri-Sat-Sun) CANCELLED

Portland PASS aerotow, Willamette Turf, Salem OR, Jim Gibson event host, Sept 11 (Sunday)

Portland PASS aerotow, Willamette Turf, Salem OR, Jim Gibson event host, Oct 2 (Sunday)

Other events? Event hosts, please send me your dates!
Last edited by dgliderguy; Jun 17, 2016 at 05:06 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 24, 2015, 04:42 AM
Jet, aerotow and heli junkie
Confirmed:

May 20, 21, 22
High Country Flyers Aerotow 2016.
Located 30 minutes south of Kamloops B.C.

More info to follow
Dean W.
Dec 24, 2015, 08:59 AM
I am working with my club to get an aerotow event going in June or August. I will keep this post updated.

Joe
Dec 24, 2015, 11:43 AM
The dates for the 2016 PASS aerotow events have been penciled in as follows:
May 22
June 12
July 17
August 14
September 11
October 2

Jim
Dec 26, 2015, 12:49 AM
Will fly for food

Looking for your opinion

For the last many years the WRAF have graciously allowed the Aerotow community to use their field in east Wenatchee, which is by far the best RC facility this side of the Mississippi. The traditional dates were the last weekend in September. I know many of you have been there at one time or another but the overall attendance has always been rather low. Some have suggested the attendance is due to the date being late in the season. This is one of the reasons I chose these dates as the weather in Wenatchee is still warmer and the sun always shines there. Even when a major storm is hitting the coast in 2014 we still got to fly every day.

So the question to everyone is, do you want an aerotow event in late September? Is everyone already burned out for the season? The ability to secure a date earlier in the season may be difficult but if there is enough demand I will attempt to get one. What I do not want is to get another late Sept. date and have only 8 pilots show up.

Looking for your opinion
Dec 26, 2015, 02:28 AM
Where's the lift?
Dave, I vote for moving the Wenatchee event to peak summer months (June/July/Aug), if at all possible. By late September/early October, the birds are migrating south and the sun is too low on the horizon to be much good for afternoon lift. To me, that's the advent of building season, when I put on my scrubs and look for a good kit to start in on.

My vote would be a weekend right during the long days of June or July, if you can get it.
Dec 28, 2015, 12:58 PM
Hi Don, Thank you so much for putting out the schedule so early. I will be attending one or more events in the northwest this year. It is a great group of guys and the locations are hard to beat. Scott
Dec 28, 2015, 01:35 PM
Where's the lift?
Scott, that's great news! I'll save a spot in the queue for you.
Jan 02, 2016, 09:13 AM
Let me fly in Green Air

Tug Fest (Aerotow) 2016

Tug Fest 2015 was a great time. There were 7 tugs for 7 sailplanes for the first year of this event. The weather at Disappointment Field in late April can bring in some serious weather lift along with the normal fantastic thermals. For those that have had the thrill to soar in this weather lift can attest to the Adrenalin rush.

Gene
Jan 02, 2016, 09:19 AM
Let me fly in Green Air

Yakima Aerotow 2016

It is another year and it's time to get the word out on the 17th Yakima Aerotow event.
With the June date the lift conditions could not be better. The camping temperatures at night not as cold as the earlier event date.
Looking forward to a great event.

Gene
Jan 02, 2016, 09:29 AM
1/2 scale
This whole FAA thing has got me worried.
As a non US citizen, I can't even partake in the registration system for a "certificate of ownership"
The registration process is blocked from Canada.
Who knows if the FAA will require registration to cross the border with a model?

Cheers,
Dave.
Jan 02, 2016, 06:23 PM
Jet, aerotow and heli junkie
True Dave

At this point I have not made any bookings for U.S. events due to the uncertainties....registration, altitude, border issues.....eeek......

d.w.
Jan 05, 2016, 11:09 AM
Let me fly in Green Air
D. W.,
I found this under the UAS FAQ section of the registration page.
Q11. Updated: Are non-U.S. citizens visiting the United States on vacation or for drone competitions required to register?

A. Everyone, including foreign nationals and tourists, who operate a UAS for hobby or recreational purposes outdoors in the U.S. must use the FAA's online registration system. These non-U.S. citizens or non-permanent U.S. residents will receive the same registration certificate as U.S. Citizens or permanent U.S. residents. However, this certificate will function as a "recognition of ownership" document. This document is required by the Department of Transportation for foreign nationals to operate legally in the US.

If you can't register online there is a contact login and phone number on the UAS registration page.
Gene
Jan 05, 2016, 11:17 AM
Where's the lift?
Gene,

Thanks for passing that on to our Canadian OFBs.

A reminder, though, to not turn this into (yet another) FAA thread... there are plenty of those on RCG and elsewhere for staying abreast of the developing saga... we will all know soon enough what the particulars are, and how they may (and most likely will not) affect us aerotow junkies.
Jan 05, 2016, 12:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjensen
For the last many years the WRAF have graciously allowed the Aerotow community to use their field in east Wenatchee, which is by far the best RC facility this side of the Mississippi. The traditional dates were the last weekend in September. I know many of you have been there at one time or another but the overall attendance has always been rather low. Some have suggested the attendance is due to the date being late in the season. This is one of the reasons I chose these dates as the weather in Wenatchee is still warmer and the sun always shines there. Even when a major storm is hitting the coast in 2014 we still got to fly every day.

So the question to everyone is, do you want an aerotow event in late September? Is everyone already burned out for the season? The ability to secure a date earlier in the season may be difficult but if there is enough demand I will attempt to get one. What I do not want is to get another late Sept. date and have only 8 pilots show up.

Looking for your opinion
Dave,
thank you for establishing early how best to plan for events in Wentchee.
Autumn is such a awesome time with the apple harvest going on and particular crisp blue sky's on occasions.
To me the last chance aerotow is a fantastic grand finale for the year.
If it was possible to host two events one in summer and then the last one in
fall that would be grand .
I totally understand the issue with participation therefor perhaps if we could generate a clear list with name and next Yes - NO attending might solve one problem .
A special thank you to Don B. for generating the 2016 agenda nice work well done very exiting lets hope for blue sky's and good times to come.
Ivan.