Jul 26, 2004, 09:24 PM
Thread OP
Rant

Inexpensive home-brew winch? Is it possible? RRRr!

I've looked everywhere, and all I've seen are winch kits in the $500+ range. That's a little too steep of a price, and I think I could home brew something for far less. Does anyone know where I can get some help? what Kv motor should I use? What size motor should it be? How low ($$$) can I go? Anything would help!

BTW, is there any way I could come up with a proportional control system for the winch, rather than pulsing a solenoid? Couldn't I use something like a sewing machine foot pedal, and run a bunch of transitors (field effect? Note I'm a novice at electronics, however I'm very good at soldering! ) or tubes by it that could handle the current load? I've got a problem with using a solenoid on a weaker plane, I'd hate to see a Paragon or a Viking wing snap while doing the funky chicken up on launch.
Last edited by e-sailpilot86; Jul 26, 2004 at 09:27 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 26, 2004, 10:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by e-sailpilot86
I've looked everywhere, and all I've seen are winch kits in the $500+ range. That's a little too steep of a price, and I think I could home brew something for far less. Does anyone know where I can get some help? what Kv motor should I use? What size motor should it be? How low ($$$) can I go? Anything would help!

BTW, is there any way I could come up with a proportional control system for the winch, rather than pulsing a solenoid? Couldn't I use something like a sewing machine foot pedal, and run a bunch of transitors (field effect? Note I'm a novice at electronics, however I'm very good at soldering! ) or tubes by it that could handle the current load? I've got a problem with using a solenoid on a weaker plane, I'd hate to see a Paragon or a Viking wing snap while doing the funky chicken up on launch.

Here's one for kit for $285.00 http://www.superskeg.com/ And of course you could do a homebrew if you are a good wood worker and some creative metal working skills but when it's all said and done you would have invested a lot more in terms of time and material procurement. You can launch any plane on a winch without breaking it but you have to respect the limitations of it's design... tap, tap, tap.....

Good Luck
Jul 26, 2004, 11:11 PM
No post.
Last edited by Ollie; Jul 27, 2004 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Close
Jul 27, 2004, 08:48 AM
SSP#14 aspirant

winch plans

Check this out I asked the same question about a month and half ago

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232331

this should get you going on something.

Soar Dude
Jul 27, 2004, 02:30 PM
Thread OP
did you start making your own winch yet?
Jul 27, 2004, 04:11 PM
I am in the process of rigging a winch for my HLG by using an old variable speed drill and a drum of mason's twine. I will be able to plug it in near my house via extension cord.
Jul 30, 2004, 01:21 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
What's wrong with a good old hi-start? Cheap, easy to use! They work great!
Jul 31, 2004, 02:07 PM
Thread OP
Hi-starts are great! It's just that they can hardly launch a 3.4 meter and up scale ship to a real hang time altitude. Unless, of course, I build a super ultra high start! Maybe I'll do that instead. Tying knots is easier.
Jul 31, 2004, 03:00 PM
I have a NE Sailplane XL hi-start that is rated to 4M, I believe. It sends my 80 ounce 3M Airtronics Legend up with authority. 100' rubber and 400' line. Add the slightest breeze and I am competing with the winches for launch height.

I also use it to launch Spirits and Gentle Ladies. Just don't pull back as far. with a 150 foot pull I get a 12-13 pound pull and it sends the Spirit and the GL way up there with no problem at all. Not my first choice for a 2M plane, but they seem to be able to handle the launch with no problem. over 200 launches on thse 2M planes and no broken parts. Have broken several wings on the winch, however.

About 50 3M launchs between my Legend and other 3M planes and everyone loves the power of this thing. They call it the big bear hi-start.

NESail XL - $110 complet set-up
http://www.nesail.com/detail.php?productID=872

Aerofoam also has hi-startes rated for 4M planes - $135 complete
http://www.aerofoam.com/hosemonster.html

I am not trying to discourage you from building your own winch, but if budget is an issue, it is hard to beat a hi-start if you have the room.
Last edited by aeajr; Jul 31, 2004 at 03:04 PM.
Aug 02, 2004, 07:47 PM
for the low budget winch, I like my John Deere PTO, an old Ford rim and some mason line. Whooooooo Weeeeeeeeee! That dog hunts! Just kidding, it's a JD for crying out loud, it can't hunt...........
Aug 02, 2004, 10:43 PM
When I begam flying sailplanes over 30 years ago, I couldn't afford a histart so I built a winch for less than $25 for a rebuilt Ford long shaft starter motor and a Ford solonoid. (I said this was over 30 years ago). A friend welded up a 2 inch winch drum from a 4 inch long section of 2 inch diameter heavy wall aluminum conduit tubing and some 0.092 aluminum from an old street sign. Frame was welded up from some flat iron salvaged from a scrap pile. A friend built a winch drum around a section of 2 inch diameter kitchen rolling pin and a section of aluminum street sign. Nobody does this any more but back then we couldn't buy winch parts so we rolled our own. Price of reebuilt starter motors has gone up a lot but you can build a winch for about $100 if you are a good scrounger and can do the hard work yourself.
Aug 02, 2004, 11:48 PM
what about the gettomans winch idea from the other thread
Aug 03, 2004, 03:40 PM
TROUT OR THERMALS
Looking for picture of a bicycle wheel hooked up to a peddle seat used for a winch. anyone else have that pic?

Dean
Aug 03, 2004, 05:29 PM
I have seen a bicycle based winch in some thread somewhere, but I don't have the photo.
Aug 04, 2004, 10:04 AM
.: Looking for Thermals :.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr
I have seen a bicycle based winch in some thread somewhere, but I don't have the photo.
Yes, me too, I think it was an australian guy who did this. I'd like to see a picture too.

Also, maybe the same australian boy, mentioned he made a High start from bicycle blades (the inner tube, don't know its name) cutting them in spiral and joining them with a knot. I'd like to see a picture o this too.

Maybe the luck is with us...

Ricardo.

Quick Reply