Jan 04, 2016, 09:53 AM
Some people have had bad results with hot water, some haven't. I froze my glued on Trekker wheels and broke the glue to remove the tires.

Depending on how much you want to spend, RC4WD has a micro crawler section with wheels and tires.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 04, 2016, 11:52 AM
Keep Looking Up
I'll check that site out. Yeah I found some supposedly good 1:24th scale crawler tires on Amazon (Liquid RC, etc) for not much.. maybe 7 bucks a pair. If they fit on the stock wheels, I'll be happy with that.
Jan 04, 2016, 03:42 PM
Keep Looking Up
Looks like all the 1:24 scale crawler tires for the Losi are going to be a lot more narrow and smaller outside diameter than the stock Rocksta tires, but maybe they will still work ok.

I have some on order, a couple different kinds, so we'll see how it goes. Anything will probably be an improvement unless the ride height is compromised.. Looks like some of them are taller tires than others though, and you definitely want the biggest ones you can get.

Looks like those "Miclaws" might be perfect, but seem to be like unobtanium

I got some of these:
"RC4WD Mickey Thompson Baja Claw TTC Micro Crawler Tire" As they seem to be the largest outside diameter of all of the available ones and the widest too. I got 8 tires for about $31..

I also got: "Micro Rock Claws, Mounted, Black Chrome (4) " For about $13. I think those are smaller though, but a lot cheaper.

-------------------------
Couple more vids-

BASHER ROCKSTA -Tire/ Wheel dimensions - shock issues (6 min 1 sec)

BASHER ROCKSTA -Quick Un-Boxing (HobbyKing) (2 min 15 sec)
Last edited by BWX232; Jan 04, 2016 at 04:05 PM.
Jan 05, 2016, 12:34 PM
Keep Looking Up
And an outdoor running vid...
BASHER ROCKSTA - Outdoor Running (9 min 27 sec)
Jan 05, 2016, 08:05 PM
I have the vaterra slick rock , I wonder how this compares size wise with the slick rock , & what body options might work ,.
seems like it has enough power to handle a pretty steep climb

Here is my slick rock , I Imagine its only a little smaller than this ?

Oh & ya I drilled holes in the wheel rims & soaked the tires in wd40 ,..it made the tires softer ,..& allows them to squish over the rocks a little better ,..I have not tried the simple green yet ,..but the wd40 soak did seem to make the tires on both my slick rock & honcho softer ...
Last edited by dogtoy; Jan 05, 2016 at 10:40 PM.
Jan 06, 2016, 12:49 AM
Keep Looking Up
It's a whole nother scale smaller.. Quite a size difference I think.

Measure outside diameter of tires.. on the Rocksta it is only about 2 inches.
Jan 06, 2016, 11:30 AM
ok ya its just a little guy , the slick rock tires are bigger , still for the price with the independent steer its pretty neat , there must be a good solution for that shock screw though ,..something we can make a bushing out of & a less stiff spring ,..if its that small & light adding weight might make it more effective too
Jan 06, 2016, 01:49 PM
Keep Looking Up
Yeah I have been looking around and it is hard to discern the actual sizes of the micro shocks I am seeing for sale. Some are for 1/36th scale vehicles which would be way too small, and some are for the Losi micro crawler, but hard to tell if they will fit on this Rocksta, even with some mods, and they might be too stiff too.

As far as springs go, same problem really. Might have to just measure the springs on the Rocksta, and then buy springs on some industrial supply type website/ retailer. Maybe buy a bunch of different spring rates to try.

I am sure there's an easy solution to the shocks out there, but might take some experimenting to find it.

It might be as easy as finding something to use as a bushing in the original shocks, and then finding a soft enough spring of the right size to use on those shocks.
Jan 07, 2016, 12:28 PM

Motor and pinion gears

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWX_
Oh I was thinking about just installing new tires onto the stock wheels. Looks like the tires are just glued on, should be easy to put them in hot water or heat them up and get them off.

I have a kit version coming, so maybe I will try to mount tires on those wheels when they get here.

I'll measure the wheels and see if it is even close before I order new tires though..

Oh BTW, the RTR version is in stock again.
I just order the kit version, does it come with the pinion gears and what motors would you recommend.
Jan 07, 2016, 02:17 PM
Keep Looking Up
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawsondoyle
I just order the kit version, does it come with the pinion gears and what motors would you recommend.
I will have the kit version in a while- still in shipping. So not sure on that.

Also not sure about motors yet. One guy that was commenting on one of my vids was going to try a brushless setup. He linked to a brushless inrunner I think it was on hobbyking.

A brushless setup would be cool, but not sure if the slow speed crawling would be as good or not. I guess any "130 size" brushed motor will fit.

Check out the comments by ROBOFORCERX2000 on this vid:

BASHER Rocksta 1:24th Scale Mini Rock Crawler first look -FPV (9 min 57 sec)
Jan 07, 2016, 04:07 PM
Thanks for your quick reply this is new ground for me all my experience is in multi rotors
Jan 09, 2016, 07:21 AM
Keep Looking Up
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight
How are wheels connected? Hex, half moon shaft, or axle pin?

Quote:
Axle pin.. Tiny little pin!
Quote:
I'm not sure if "regular" 1/24th scale crawler tires like for that Losi will fit or not. Need to buy some and see I guess.
Well I found something out last night. It does have pins, but also hexes.

Maybe that's the way all hexes work, I don't have any wheels like that, just an RC10 that has pins that fit directly to the wheel with no hexes.

When I first took off the wheels to look, the nut was still stuck to the wheel, and all I saw was the pin on the axle shaft. Well when I took the wheels off to check and see if the other Losi wheels would fit last night, the hex was stuck on the shaft.. I was like, WTH? Where did that come from?

Cool thing is the Losi micro crawler wheels fit right on! That means any wheel made for that should also fit right on no problem as long as it has enough clearance. Clearance is tight, but if it does rub at all, it will be an easy fix with some sandpaper or whatever.

I made a vid showing what they look like on there, and comparing them to each other. Should be uploaded soon.

All those tires are a lot narrower than the stock Rocksta tires, and also smaller in diameter, but some are bigger than others.

I think I got the biggest ones you can get (the biggest I found so far - Mickey Thompsons), but those Losi Rock Claws seem to be quite a bit smaller, but other ones I saw online were closer to the Mickeys - Like the "RC4WD Interco Super Swamper TSL/Bogger Micro Crawl Tire RC4ZT006 RC4ZT0069". They aren't quite as big, but close.

This is good news.. I am not sure if the bead locks make a difference as to how the tire mounts to the wheel though. I didn't try to take any of the tires off of the wheels yet, on the stock wheels or the Losi wheels that come mounted w/ tires.
Jan 09, 2016, 07:33 AM
Keep Looking Up
Something like this would be cool!
http://www.advantagehobby.com/269880...eel/?pcat=1432

(aluminum beadlock)- But man $50..
Last edited by BWX232; Jan 09, 2016 at 10:51 AM.
Jan 09, 2016, 09:13 AM
Keep Looking Up
Rocksta Crawler - Wheel and tgire Upgrade Options (9 min 35 sec)
Jan 09, 2016, 09:36 AM
It looks way more scale with those smaller wheels.

Quick Reply