Dec 22, 2015, 08:55 PM
Engineer for Christ
Thread OP
Discussion

Open letter to the FAA

You may not realize it, but the new registration of RC aircraft requires you to sign an enforceable contract in which you state that you will not fly FPV. Thus, I made this open letter to them representing all of us (FPV and LOS pilots). Please make your own videos (or share this one) and spread the word. We must be united against this broad overreach on the part of the FAA.

Open letter to the FAA on the part of Aeromodelers (4 min 28 sec)

If you have not done so, please sign this petition as well on Change.org: https://www.change.org/p/federal-avi...t-registration

-Alex
Last edited by IBCrazy; Dec 22, 2015 at 09:08 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 22, 2015, 09:02 PM
Wow, you did an excellent job with this video.
Dec 22, 2015, 10:14 PM
ChrisI
Well done Alex. Not so crazy. I can't understand how there is already 14 thumbs down? This whole thing is on side of FAA is crazy. I can see FAA enforcers showing up at a MultiGP asking for registrations and then laying fines on everyone who has one for violating FPV and also everyone who does not have one for not having it That sure will make things a lot safer right ????????
Dec 22, 2015, 10:22 PM
Engineer for Christ
Thread OP
All 14 dislikes means is that there are a combination of 14 trolls and FAA reps who have watched the video. Let them dislike it. If you're not p*ssing someone off, you're not making an impact.

-Alex
Dec 22, 2015, 10:46 PM
Good video man I wonder y there's not certain contingencys in FPV flying like FPV racing and the people who wanna fly 10 miles away has that ever been mentioned.
Dec 22, 2015, 11:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLs
Well done Alex. Not so crazy. I can't understand how there is already 14 thumbs down? This whole thing is on side of FAA is crazy. I can see FAA enforcers showing up at a MultiGP asking for registrations and then laying fines on everyone who has one for violating FPV and also everyone who does not have one for not having it That sure will make things a lot safer right ????????
The faa has no right to do that. They are no law enforcement agency. Their registration is not even enforceable by an police officer because there is no law saying that you have to register your rc model! The faa doesn't get to make laws. Public law section 336 is what applies to you if you operate a recreational rc model aircraft.

If they lay fines on people there, then its because of scared chickens who know nothing about how our legal system works and bow down to this massive unconstitutional overreach. The faa is the one who is breaking the law, not us.
Last edited by Made in Austria; Dec 23, 2015 at 11:33 AM.
Dec 23, 2015, 12:47 AM
FPV 8x8 summit in progress
deleted
Last edited by Ruken; Dec 23, 2015 at 09:58 PM. Reason: I got too angry
Dec 23, 2015, 02:49 AM
Actively rebelling against the law just makes the FAA feel like they made a serious law. Ignore it, it's not a serious law, and not worthy of your effort to fight it. The FAA I'm sure is giddy with joy that someone as important as IBCrazy is taking them seriously.
Dec 23, 2015, 10:53 AM
s'like freakin' NASA in there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rattydude77
Good video man I wonder y there's not certain contingencys in FPV flying like FPV racing and the people who wanna fly 10 miles away has that ever been mentioned.
Yeah --- this... There is nothing I've seen other than these special interest carveouts for amazon and google that I've heard of that allows for legal non-line of sight flight.

If one wants to be legal, but fly up to a mile or so away, and takes extra care for RTH, battery, failsafes, etc... there is nothing that I've seen that allows for that...
Dec 23, 2015, 12:43 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Is it no wonder so many give up on voting? Laws are passed, then instantly go into litigation, then are found unconstitutional by a judge that can't be impartial. I really believe that the "drone" hysteria, like so many other fads will quickly pass. It's no coincidence that the FAA wanted to implement their registration program before Christmas. I can just see them all sitting around wringing their hands over hundreds of thousands of drones buzzing around neighborhoods Christmas morning, "oh, the humanity!". Most Christmas present drones will be WLToys, Hubsan, Syma, Blade type toys. After a few shaky out of focus videos in the back yard, or of getting smacked into the side of the house, they will be relegated to the back closet with their hula-hoop, Furby, and Tickle-me Elmo. Once the FAA figures out that they won't have a large population of drone operators to lord over, they'll move on to the next group of willing participants to push around.
Dec 23, 2015, 07:42 PM
Top Gun
Everyone should report this video all over the place
Dec 23, 2015, 08:06 PM
I support this open letter 100%, and signed the petition. Alex thank you for everything you do and continue to do in the community.
Dec 23, 2015, 09:25 PM
Drone flying in your neighborhood is a BAD idea.
Drone flying in a safe area is a GOOD idea.
I think those are the main points at a minimalist level.

Here's the part I haven't figured out yet:
People are upset about people (via drone technology) spying on them.
People are NOT upset by government (via NSA technology) spying on them...
Dec 24, 2015, 10:48 AM
BGR
BGR
Foam Junkie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Newland
Is it no wonder so many give up on voting? Laws are passed, then instantly go into litigation, then are found unconstitutional by a judge that can't be impartial. I really believe that the "drone" hysteria, like so many other fads will quickly pass. It's no coincidence that the FAA wanted to implement their registration program before Christmas. I can just see them all sitting around wringing their hands over hundreds of thousands of drones buzzing around neighborhoods Christmas morning, "oh, the humanity!". Most Christmas present drones will be WLToys, Hubsan, Syma, Blade type toys. After a few shaky out of focus videos in the back yard, or of getting smacked into the side of the house, they will be relegated to the back closet with their hula-hoop, Furby, and Tickle-me Elmo. Once the FAA figures out that they won't have a large population of drone operators to lord over, they'll move on to the next group of willing participants to push around.
And that group will be us.
Dec 24, 2015, 11:01 AM
I wanted to add:

full scale flights that occur over my neighborhood = bad and risky to my entire block, like the thousands of other blocks wiped out when the full scale overflights of people and homes wiped out most of the block by crashing (whereas a rule not allowing overflights of non agreeing people and parties would have not blown up the homes, planes would have hit land only)

a drone flying over my neighborhood = preferable in every way, and the entire population is twisted into -not- minding full scale, potentially explode everything you own full size overflights. to me, the collective effort should simply be aimed at stopping what explodes homes repeatedly, every year, some even coming up soon per the next big headlines

for all the posting about sheeps following inline with drone registry, I don't see those as the sheeps. the bravado of a full scale pilot flying a cub or Cessna above my home is literally the most offensive thing in the sky to me, how dare they risk my entire family whereas a phantom at 80 feet certainly does not. ok, back to total compliance with overflights of fs now that was just a luxury rant. insert safety stat claims at this point...the people with burning homes would disagree with those stats.
Last edited by branflakes; Dec 24, 2015 at 11:23 AM.

Quick Reply