Dec 23, 2015, 11:45 AM
Thanks for the congrats guys! It feels really good to finally make it over 500mph. Its been a goal for a really long time now. Thanks Stu and Alan for catching the speed on the guns.

Its funny, normally, I can hardly sleep the day before its going to be windy but this time was different. I knew it was raining in the morning so I was actually pretty relaxed. The excitement started to build though when I got to Lancaster and found the highway was closed due to high winds blowing sand and dust. I managed to detour quickly around the closure and got back on the highway a couple of miles later to find a string of overturned 18 wheelers on the side of the road. I think I counted a total of (10) on the drive up. Horrible luck for the drivers but I figured this was a good sign for DSers ;o). Another good sign was that every one of the thousands of windmills at Mojave were parked with blades weathervaned to prevent breakage. When BSP came into sight and I could tell it wasn't raining, thats when I got the feeling this was going to be a big day ;o)

Alan and Stu were already on the hill at Weldon but I couldn't resist checking BSP on the way there. I measured 62mph (sensor says 52G71 for when I was there) before I threw out my 85oz K2m with Alan's airspeed telemetry. It would up fast and the backside was relatively smooth for BSP. As long as you kept the bottom turn low, it wouldn't try to roll you. I got up to 450 something (with the temp set conservatively low) and started wondering if it was blowing 60 at Weldon?? I decided to leave some of the best BSP I'd ever flown in hopes to find the same at Weldon. FWIW, Verizon still doesn't work at BSP...

As I pulled up to Weldon, I got some sprinkles on the windshield and started trying to talk Alan and Stu into going to BSP. It was blowing in the 50s and they weren't interested in packing up so I started putting planes together.
I tested the air with my 85ozer then flew the K130DP. This was a maiden of a new one I had built using some new methods and was eager to test it out. I was also using some different settings to try to prevent the high speed flick problem that I had experienced in the past. Well the new plane and new settings worked wonderfully and I never had any unwanted behavior in any of the flights despite some turbulence. It felt alot easier to fly than in the past with no surprises. It sure was nice to hear the 500mph speeds! Stu got the 509 up at the wall and a few laps later, Alan called shouted out 513mph over the wind! YEEEEHAW!

My next flight was with my 150oz K2m and it wound up fast but was really getting bounced around. I managed a bunch of close calls and sloppy laps but the speeds came with a best of 460mph.

Alan went up next and flew some of the best laps ever with his K2m. He got 462 ON RADAR then quickly landed because he was having a hard time seeing the plane with the poor lighting. It was really fun to see Alan's competitive side ;o). Nice flying Alan!

We flew round after round still getting good speeds but nothing higher than before. I had a peak gust of 60mph while I flew the K130 and we had a peak gust of 62mph for the day. Stu got 182mph on his Bee and Alan got 412mph on his D-80.

It was a spectacular day! I wish Bruce could've made it to Weldon but work and road closures delayed him getting to the hill. He made it to BSP and got to fly for 45min or so before it got too dark. I just spoke to Bruce and he and Stu are headed up to BSP as I type so stay tuned ;o)
Last edited by sll914; Dec 25, 2015 at 06:50 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 23, 2015, 12:32 PM
U down with EPP? Ya U know me!
Thread OP
Epic!!
Dec 23, 2015, 01:56 PM
Launch and Recovery System
Congrats to you!!!!!!!!! Nice!
Dec 23, 2015, 02:09 PM
Remember... Fly for fun!
Thanks for the report Spencer! Can't wait to catch up in April! That is, you better get up the hill this time around haha
Dec 23, 2015, 02:20 PM
Auzzie built planks
Bloody incredible spencer , I got a man tears reading that. The amount of time , effort , patients , commitment , determination and good old fashion hard work you have put into this hobby is unmeasurable. Let a lone bringing the kinetic series to the masses and allowing people to feel the buzz of DSing the best planes on the planet. inspirational is an understatement , and proves a point of which you can achieve anything you want to , you just have to keep at it and back your self and you will get there.

Brilliant spencer , and thanks for the ride mate.

Tim
Latest blog entry: More colours
Dec 23, 2015, 02:30 PM
thread killer extraordinaire
I spoke with Spencer earlier today on the phone and is was so cool to hear the excitement in his voice telling about the day, but there was also a underlying relaxed tone that he had finally gotten the monkey off of his back and got a 500 mph on the gun...

So Stoked-Congratulations again!!!!

Great pictures thanks for sharing them with all of us!

Chris
Dec 23, 2015, 03:35 PM
More like crunchman....
So good to read a detailed report from Spencer & realise that even the coolest big dogs get the buzz some of us do at somewhat lesser speeds......
Back on top of the pile, most deserving
Mental!
Dec 23, 2015, 03:39 PM
Congrats Spencer!
Dec 23, 2015, 03:40 PM
Where is the inspiration
Thanks for the report spencer.
Big well done on the new record and to all than managed to us pb,'s and air frame records.
Hope to hear more good speed from today.
Dec 23, 2015, 03:50 PM
sleep hard
Congratulations Spencer (and Alan & Stu)! Way to raise the bar...again Epic news.
Dec 23, 2015, 04:04 PM
AvB
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Far out, thanks for the great report Spencer ... I nearly coughed up my morning cocoa when I read about the big trucks blown over on the highway!! It's just a different level over there!!! Unbelievable.

I have to echo everything Tim says. I think all of us have huge admiration for the single minded, methodical, scientific, persistent way you progress the development of DS planes and fly them at the most extreme level. I know it's a hard long road but it's not a lonely one as so many of us, even in the background, are on the ride with you and are honoured to know you.

Most of the world still doesn't even know what we're talking about with DS, but for the elite subspecies of crazy cowboys who are similarly obsessed, the rare milestone moment of yesterday's 513mph WR is bigger than Christmas or anything else on the news!

I think there are a lot of guys who'd like to hear the (classified??) details of the tweaks you made that settled the K130 down so much better.
Dec 23, 2015, 06:44 PM
Thanks guys! Sure is fun when the planets align and you finally score a big day!

Absolutely Andrew, I will post details on the K130 thread ASAP!
Dec 23, 2015, 06:51 PM
C'mon more Energy
Congrats. That's fantastic.
Wow. Gusts to 60! Standing launching in that would have been an experience.
Dec 23, 2015, 06:55 PM
Brett
Congrats Spencer!

BTW, is that a fairing between the fuse and LE on the K130? Hard to tell from the pic.
Dec 23, 2015, 07:33 PM
407mph P.B...Going 4 500mph!

Congrats

WOW!!! Congrats on the new World Record Spencer!!!

Also congrats to Alan and Steve on the new PBs!!

I still remember back in the day....it would be a weekday morning at Parker...sun barely coming up...cold 50mph Santa Ana Offshore winds...I would see this plane ripping around DSing like crazy fast....as I get up the hill to Parker I see Spencer by himself and a radar gun tripod stand...thats real determination hahaha congrats man!!!

Quick Reply