Oct 18, 2020, 12:30 AM
OlliW
Quote:
Originally Posted by uk_mookie
I use LD56100DPU33R ultra low noise linear regulator. I have been using this on lot of my designs and has always worked very well for me.
many thx for the info.

this looks like a little nice thing. You are not worried about the voltage range of 5.5V and the maximum rating of of 7V?

Some time ago I had changed my type of 3.3V LDO from what I was using since years, and I then had a couple of issues with some of the LDOs "burning through" destroying then the complete board, and I suspect this had been due to that "cheap" 5V SR regulators may momentarily not be that stable at power up... I then switched back to my old LDO type and since then didn't had such an issue anymore...
to remove ads between posts
Oct 18, 2020, 05:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlliW
many thx for the info.

this looks like a little nice thing. You are not worried about the voltage range of 5.5V and the maximum rating of of 7V?

Some time ago I had changed my type of 3.3V LDO from what I was using since years, and I then had a couple of issues with some of the LDOs "burning through" destroying then the complete board, and I suspect this had been due to that "cheap" 5V SR.
I have not had any issues since making my own 5v SMPS using TPS56637, this has been a tried and tested solution with a lot of flying hours.
The FC's are fitted with both power supplies First one is an H743 which is flying my Scout and the second one F4 is in a DART XL. Both using Canbus inspired by you. i'm happy to share the designs.

Malcolm
Oct 18, 2020, 08:43 AM
OlliW
cool, very good to know, I guess I should start using the TPS and replace the sot23-5 LDOs then too ... many thx
Jan 12, 2021, 05:40 AM
Hi, I'm trying to build a 1-axis gimbal with a NT-Motor like design.
For different reasons, I'm planning not to use any encoder, but I didn't find any information if it is possible to use the NT-Motor Encoder firmware and configure it without encoder.

It's my understanding that the firmware implements FOC control, but I dont know if it implements also sine-wave for this purpose.

I also have had a look into the nt-motor-triple boards as there is no provision for enconder on them, but there is no information in the wiki about how to configure them, or if 3 external encoders are required.

Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
Jan 12, 2021, 12:49 PM
OlliW
the NT motor firmware handles both the case of with encoder and without encoder

when encoders are used it implements some simplified FOC control, while without encoders it's simply sone-wave only (you can find more detailed info on my web page www.olliw.eu, I've written it all up there)

the tripple only works without encoders
Jan 12, 2021, 05:11 PM
Thanks OlliW.

Im reading the NT protocol here:
http://www.olliw.eu/storm32bgc-wiki/NT_Bus_Protocol

Is is required to set the NT-Motor configuration to NTBUS_MOTOR_CONFIG_ENCODERUNKNOWN or it is detected automatically?
Jan 12, 2021, 07:29 PM
OlliW
it's not something you set

don't overdo or overthink, if something is not said in the wiki that it needs to be done, it doesn't have to be done. Load the firmwares into the motor module and the controller, and run the GUI for configuration, that's it.
Jan 19, 2021, 05:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlliW
it's not something you set

don't overdo or overthink, if something is not said in the wiki that it needs to be done, it doesn't have to be done. Load the firmwares into the motor module and the controller, and run the GUI for configuration, that's it.
My intention is to use the motor module *without* the controller. The reason for this is that I my design is quite particular and requires a custom firmware and board. In any case, it could be nice to see people using the motor module with an arduino so many applications other than gimbals will be possible. I think It could be a nice way for the project to gain traction.

For now, I'm holding back on using the motor module.
Jan 19, 2021, 05:42 AM
OlliW
Quote:
Originally Posted by g2rp
My intention is to use the motor module *without* the controller.
ah, ok.
This has been done by folks before, but I wouldn't remember any link or so. It means however that you need to do some experimenting to get it up and running. The wiki is quite complete as regards the NT interface, as it is actually showing the real code parts, but it admittedly doesn't provide much info on how to use it. You can however assume that not much needs to be done besides sending the motor data packet. If you start with the non-encoder command, it should be really easy.

you are highly welcome to publish an Arduino example
Nov 23, 2021, 12:06 PM

Storm32 Micro

Finally have all the boards after somehow losing my first set when we moved house.
Looking forward to building have all the components now too.

I intend to use the storm32 micro gimbal for the DJI Airunit using a polar camera. The image is only a first draft, but proves it works, using yuneec 1613 motors, hoping for better performance with the Storm BGC,
Want to try follow mode (fpv mode) where camera follows the body of the drone but removes any twitches whether that’s supported I don’t know but I’ll try.
Nov 23, 2021, 04:56 PM
OlliW
oh, wau, totally forgot that this thread is also existing LOL

STorM32 does support following the body, I'm not sure however it would if you would do roll & flips and such

the IMU is a new design of you, correct?
I wonder, this chip piece in the left back corner, is this the LDO? I think you already told me once but it seems I have forgotten, what part would it be?

(I'm also in the course of designing some new boards, to go with G4, and replacing the LDO with something small DFN type would be good)
Nov 24, 2021, 05:39 PM
Hi Olli

Quote:
STorM32 does support following the body, I'm not sure however it would if you would do roll & flips and such
Thats great news, rolls and flips I am not too bothered about.

Quote:
the IMU is a new design of you, correct?
I wonder, this chip piece in the left back corner, is this the LDO? I think you already told me once but it seems I have forgotten, what part would it be?
Yes thats the LDO, its been a fantastic 3.3v 1amp supply for me and it has great noise rejection, even when attached to switch mode power supply. Its the only one i use now. You have to be careful as absolute maximum is 7v but I do not go above 5.5V
Its a LDO56100DPU33R, also its tiny and does not need much in the way of supporting caps, on this design i just use as the datasheet suggests 2 x 1uf.

Quote:
(I'm also in the course of designing some new boards, to go with G4, and replacing the LDO with something small DFN type would be good)
I'm really looking forward to that, i have used a G474 on some canbus boards for Ardupilot. they are small and easy to work with. I have a few G474 so if you need 1 or 2 as the silicone shortage is annoying at the moment let me know .But i remember you were going to use the G431 / G441. i looked for some but could not find any available.

The image is my can node with G474.
Nov 24, 2021, 05:44 PM
Pressed wrong button, cant delete.
Last edited by uk_mookie; Nov 24, 2021 at 06:00 PM.
Nov 24, 2021, 05:54 PM

Storm Micro IMU NT

I built the IMU this evening and its working as it should, uploaded the FW via BgcTool and i have a blinking light, which is great news, So its alive

I know this thread is quiet but its for DIY Storm32, let me know if i should use the other Storm32 thread instead.

Anyway here are a couple of pics. Its quite small i could probably do a little better but for now it will do the job, i uploaded from o323BGCTool_v253 fw version o323bgc_ntimu_v045_module_v3x_f103t8 hopefully that's the correct one if not then I can swap it out for a later version, need to understand the v1/v2/v3 differences. I'll go and read the Wiki to get better informed.

Anyway that's my job for tonight completed. Next one will be the BGC it self then I can test the IMU.

If anyone wants more info on the IMU then let me know.
Nov 25, 2021, 02:35 AM
OlliW
Quote:
Thats great news, rolls and flips I am not too bothered about.
if you find it to not work, it would be a bug, which I should correct (I know it's working for 3 axis, but for 2 axis I haven't tested myself)

Quote:
LDO, its been a fantastic 3.3v 1amp
many thx for part
sadly, hard to get, all sold out LOL
yeah, essentially all of these high amp 3.3V LDO get killed at 6 - 7 V ... / V is already among the better ... should be safe enough

on the can board you seem also have a quite small SR, may I ask what chip this is?

I'm not soo happy with what I'm using currently. I mean, they work great, but are expensive or too weak

Quote:
G474 ... i remember you were going to use the G431 / G441
that's merely because it's what I got a few for
I also always forget what the differences between them are LOL, just few more ADCs, OPs, and HTIM, so really very minor, I think (pl correct me if I'm wrong)
I guess, if it wouldn't be for availability I would opt for the 474 series too ... but it is as it is

Quote:
the IMU ... its working
fantastic

no issue with this thread, it's just what I was surprised since I had totally forgotten about LOL

the different versions v1,v2,v3 have different pin assignments
v1 should be obsolete
v3 is best as it provides hardware uart on the EXT pins (for v2 I have to do it per software uart), but I think I never released a design for it, and in fact I guess I will deprecate it and v3 will become something G4 based
so: v2

Quick Reply