Dec 22, 2015, 11:07 AM
Thread OP

Hitec X1 AC Plus - Question about charging vs balancing modes

This may be stupid question but I am new to charging LiPos. I have the Hitec X1 AC Plus charger with the balancing board. I went thru the manual yesterday and it looks like if I want to charge and balance LiPo battery, I have to use the Balance mode. I guess, the Charge mode does just simple charging even though the balancing connector from the battery is plugged in, correct? I was hoping that it would be smart enough to balance charge if I use the balancing port.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 22, 2015, 11:18 AM
RC Guru
The standard Charge mode will not balance charge. The only modes that it will actively balance the cells is in Balance or Storage charge modes. Any of the other modes it will monitor the cells, but it will not balance them.
Dec 22, 2015, 11:21 AM
Thread OP
Thanks. I have to make sure I use the Balance mode from now on.
Dec 22, 2015, 06:52 PM
Your being new to LiPo use may I suggest you read this:
https://sites.google.com/site/tjingu...arging-how-tos
There is a wealth of information on LiPo batteries and charging there.

BTW: The reason you connect the balance connector to the charger when in Charge Mode is so that the charger can ensure no cell goes over 4.2V. If one cell does get to 4.2V the charge stops. However this can leave the battery undercharged. You are better off always using Balance Mode.

Glen
Feb 16, 2016, 01:20 PM
I honestly don't understand why this charger has a charge mode at all. I found this thread trying to answer that question.

It does the same max amps of charging current (3.2A) in both modes so why would you ever consider using charge mode?
Feb 16, 2016, 02:12 PM
RC Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavMe
I honestly don't understand why this charger has a charge mode at all. I found this thread trying to answer that question.

It does the same max amps of charging current (3.2A) in both modes so why would you ever consider using charge mode?
Because balance mode requires a balance adapter to be plugged in, and there are certain batteries out there that do not have a balance adapter, for example Fromeo LiIon batteries do not use a balancer. There are also 1S batteries that people charge that you won't be able to charge in balance mode.

Quick Reply