Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Apr 05, 2016, 11:25 AM
This is why I started designing my own airfoils. I have found over 50 years of model airplane building experience some variation of trying to make a perfect wing ( airfoil } is very difficult. But the model flew well anyway. For many years I tried different airfoils and just made wings and used the same fuselage. They all flew the same. It was troubling to me. So i designed my own and they flew the same as the Epplers, Wortmanes, Drealas, etc. There is a penalty with such a blunt leading edge as shown in your pictures. The leading edge needs to be like the drawing. But, thats about it. The leading edge starts the air going over the rest of the airfoil, so be careful with that. Its all about the entry , or the leading edge.

Vern
to remove ads between posts
Apr 05, 2016, 05:34 PM
The other wing has the same leading edge, but perhaps a little less reflex. Regardless, it seems to fly well so far.

Hussle
Apr 09, 2016, 07:20 PM
less is more
Let me guess......Now that you have discovered inaccuracies in your airfoil, you are going to build another super accurate version but at 4m wingspan this time.
Apr 09, 2016, 08:06 PM
Tempting, tempting. But not for a while yet. Uni is keeping me busy.
May 02, 2016, 03:12 AM
Random slope flyer
Just caught this thread. Thanks for all the build info and discussion - looks great, very tempted.
May 02, 2016, 05:10 AM
My pleasure, I'd hoped that it would help someone else out later on

Hussle
Aug 06, 2016, 02:23 AM
Some more footage, cruising around in light lift (check out the bushes at 0:33) with full camber deployed.
Co5 rainy day (1 min 46 sec)
Aug 06, 2016, 01:18 PM
less is more
It is quite a floaty plane. I'm guessing that without flaps, you could get quite a bit of ground effect on that final landing glide.
Oct 18, 2016, 03:35 PM
When you cut the wings do you have to stagger the templates or can they parallel with each other.
Oct 18, 2016, 05:21 PM
I cut it with the plates parallel. I scaled the airfoil templates so it then gave the true airfoil when cut to the correct sweep angle
Apr 18, 2017, 12:08 AM
Haven't posted an update in a while, so here's a video for you, complete with hand catch (you're welcome Kent ). I've finally got around to setting up a proper strong hi-start for this plane, and got some decent height out of it, and the sunny weather shows of the colour-scheme nicely

Co5 hi-start launches (2 min 32 sec)

Hussle
Last edited by Hussle; Apr 18, 2017 at 12:36 AM.
Apr 18, 2017, 09:34 AM
less is more
Nice!.... a floaty hand catch. You get extra points for that one.
Apr 20, 2017, 03:20 AM
Nice flying Hussle!

Have you got any more details of the bungee attachment? It's something I've yet to attempt and would be interested to see how you've approached it.
Apr 20, 2017, 04:59 PM
Hi Miniphase,

I've got three hooks on my pod, made from the 5mm basswood ply that forms the central "rib" of the pod. The hook furthest back, which I'm using for the high-start launches, is about 45 degrees ahead of the cg, or perhaps a little closer.

Hussle