FAA registration for small UAS thread - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales

Benton County R/C Aerodrome (Adair Village, Oregon, United States)

Dec 19, 2015, 12:11 AM
Alert

FAA registration for small UAS thread

Many of you have probably seen the FAA's announcement about registering all UAS over 250g, beginning in a few days on Dec 21 st.

I figured I'd start a thread here so we could share information, especially as it looks like it will be a hot topic over the next few weeks/months. The AMA has already recommended against registering for the time being.

Here are a few highlights of the FAA's registration announcement:
  • A person must register with the FAA in order to fly any unmanned aircraft ("UAS") over 250g. That includes airplanes, helicopters, multicopters, etc, etc. They even specifically include tethered and untethered systems.
  • When you register, they give you a number. You put the same number on all of your UAS. So registration is per-pilot, not per-aircraft.
  • Registration costs $5 for 3 years, and they will waive the registration fee from Dec 21-Jan 21.
  • Registration number must be on the UAS somewhere. You can use a pen or marker. Does not need to be visible from the air, just on close inspection.
  • All registrants must be at least 13 years old, or have a parent register for them.
  • Registration is done online.
  • The FAA is threatening severe fines ($25,000) for noncompliance.

Now, just today I saw another post with some concerning information. In the past the FAA has said the list of registered UAS pilots will be private and accessible only to the FAA, their contractors, and law enforcement. But today, a blogger is claiming he got an email from the FAA saying the list will be accessible to the public including registrants names and addresses. It could just be a misunderstanding, but if true that would be pretty upsetting to many people.

Personally, It seems like this whole registration requirement directly conflicts with my understanding that the FAA is not allowed to regulate model aircraft. I'm sure this will go to court and I think I'll wait and see what the AMA and lawyers say about all this.

So yeah, that's happening. If you have any thoughts let's talk about it.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 21, 2015, 01:21 PM
I'm not registering a damn thing with the government, not my planes- or my guns. Ever, the government can only do things like this if we allow them to. Resisting a Rc plane is nothing more then a tax
Dec 21, 2015, 02:23 PM
Just a heads-up, the registration page is live: https://registermyuas.faa.gov/register

And I'm already seeing several reports of people registering, then logging into their own accounts only to see other people's names and addresses.

Based on privacy and concerns over the legality of regulating hobbyists in the first place, I haven't registered yet.

I'm hoping more information will come to light over the next month or so, and it sounds like even the FAA says the deadline is Feb 19th. I don't see any reason to rush into it, especially when the website seems to be leaking private information already.
Jan 02, 2016, 03:42 PM
AMA position is that law excludes AMA members. Seems like we're already required to put AMA number on planes so it's at least a duplication. Government over-reach but it's response to some jerks who fly near full scale guys or in crowds. Now they would want AMA number, FAA number and FCC call sign for video use. Geeze, just wrap my birth certificate in there. I'm holding off until AMA action plays out.