FAA and DOT: Your Private Registration Information Will Be Available to the Public - RC Groups

FAA and DOT: Your Private Registration Information Will Be Available to the Public

The FAA's FAQ says your private info will remain private. The DOT and an FAA spokesman think otherwise.

FAA and DOT: Your Private Registration Information Will Be Available to the Publ

"The FAA plans to incorporate a search by registration number in the future."

Just when some of you thought the FAA's UAS registration process might be something you could choke down, the rest of us who realized the darker truth involved in the gathering and storage of hobbyist's private information are even more ready to jump ship, even if it is a long way down! An article has emerged on Forbes from contributor John Goglia, claiming that hobbyists that register with the FAA will have their names and registered addressed made public, a statement that sends shivers down my spine.

The article goes on to state that the author felt something was amiss as the FAA F.A.Q states only the FAA, the contractor(s) and law enforcement agencies would have access to drone/rc airplane modelers private information. However, some very different wording came from the Department of Transportation that reads: “all records maintained by the FAA in connection with aircraft registered are included in the Aircraft Registry and made available to the public, except email address and credit card information submitted under part 48 [the new model aircraft registry].” The DOT goes on to say public searches can be performed by registration number as well.

The author then wrote to the DOT, was referred to the FAA, and then received a reply from an FAA spokesperson stating “Initially the Registration system will not have a public search function. The FAA plans to incorporate a search by registration number in the future. Names and addresses are protected by the Privacy Act. The FAA will handle disclosure of such information in accordance with the December 15, 2015 Federal Register notice.”

“all records maintained by the FAA in connection with aircraft registered are included in the Aircraft Registry and made available to the public"

In my opinion, it seems highly likely that private information - at the very least your full name and possibly your address - will become public information at some point, searchable by anyone with an internet connection. At what point does this turn into a witch hunt, where local law enforcement and/or privacy vigilantes decide to knock on your door after a mysterious multirotor of fixed-wing aircraft is spotted in your area? I would expect we will receive an official reply from the FAA and DOT before the cutoff date of February 19th. Let's hope it happens. Until then, enjoy the total anonymity of flying your model aircraft in the NAS.

CLICK HERE for the original article on Forbes

Last edited by Matt Gunn; Dec 18, 2015 at 08:59 PM..
Dec 18, 2015, 08:50 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
They will knock on your door. . . Help themselves in to your home, slap on the cuffs, confiscate your RC aircraft, then hand you a 27,000 fine or arrest you.

!MERRY CHRISTMAS AMERICA!
Latest blog entry: My RC 737 Assembly line!
Dec 18, 2015, 09:19 PM
Free as a bird now.
Matt's reaction to this matches my own.

When Joe Public thinks there is an "evil drone" trying to peek in his windows, he's going to have a list of "suspects" to go and confront about it.

Thanks for keeping us safe FAA! I hope the angry guy who comes pounding on my door isn't going to be carrying a gun. (An unregistered gun, of course, because he doesn't have to register it.)
Last edited by Brian Courtice; Dec 18, 2015 at 09:25 PM.
Dec 18, 2015, 09:42 PM
Microbursts hurt.
It's pretty clear by doing so the FAA will be breaking the law. So why register in an unlawful system? I feel bad for anyone who has already registered.
Dec 18, 2015, 09:58 PM
RCGroups Editor
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy
It's pretty clear by doing so the FAA will be breaking the law. So why register in an unlawful system? I feel bad for anyone who has already registered.
No one has yet. Registration opens on the 21st. But I hear ya! I'm hoping we as modelers will see some relief through litigation.
Dec 19, 2015, 02:20 AM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Gunn
No one has yet. Registration opens on the 21st. But I hear ya! I'm hoping we as modelers will see some relief through litigation.
What do we do if the AMA fails to stop these new FAA regulations Matt?

Our personal information will be public.

. . . . . . The same as sex offenders.
Dec 19, 2015, 03:00 AM
As I have said before if someone gets your number you will have worse things to worry about than someone looking up your address. With your number they have the power to impersonate you with it. All they have to do to get you thrown in jail is put it on something and do something illegal with it and as far as the authorities are concerned YOU did it. You will have no defense against this, nobody will believe that it wasn't your model.

If your number is on the model then you are on the hook for it, enjoy your stay in prison.
Dec 19, 2015, 04:40 AM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull
As I have said before if someone gets your number you will have worse things to worry about than someone looking up your address. With your number they have the power to impersonate you with it. All they have to do to get you thrown in jail is put it on something and do something illegal with it and as far as the authorities are concerned YOU did it. You will have no defense against this, nobody will believe that it wasn't your model.

If your number is on the model then you are on the hook for it, enjoy your stay in prison.
There is one defense. . . . Maybee

If you always film your flights. ....

That way if someone impersonated you you can show police your videos and prove it wasn't you.

If not the entire hobby is finished. . . Done. . . Gone. ... out here.
Dec 19, 2015, 08:40 AM
Microbursts hurt.
How do they even validate? It's not like a gift credit card can't be used... maybe all the FAA employees should have their names and addresses listed. Im sure they have something in their home that weighs more than 250g and can be made to travel through the air.
Dec 19, 2015, 12:23 PM
Complete noob at your mercy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull

even without this information becoming public, how hard would it be to find out someone's FAA number if it's displayed on all of their craft. all someone has to do is peek in your garage window and see that number, attach it to a cheap multirotor, then land it on the lawn of the whitehouse...

now you are in jail because you unfriended them on twitfacetagram.
Dec 19, 2015, 12:31 PM
RCGroups Editor
The number doesn't have to be visible from 10 feet. You can write it in pencil inside the fuselage if it makes you feel safer.
Dec 19, 2015, 12:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Gunn
The number doesn't have to be visible from 10 feet. You can write it in pencil inside the fuselage if it makes you feel safer.
so someone breaks into your garage to write your FAA number down...

either way, no matter if the number is 10 feet tall in neon, or super fine print braille... the fact that someone can easily place your number on a craft you don't own or don't pilot then do something bad with it to frame you... is a serious flaw in this ridiculous reactionary illogical "system" these scumbag pirate politicians have come up with.

i refuse to subject myself to this nonsense.
Dec 19, 2015, 12:53 PM
Eye in the Sky
As i stated on another thread about the same report

NEWS FLASH

Uncle Sammy, already knows everything about you

YOU have given many entities from professional to private all you information for years
from Birth dates to SS numbers to addresses etc etc etc

YOU are not hid from anyone, especially the Government

As a AMA member you are suppose to already have your information in/on your model
Name , address, AMA number...and No One in ALL these years have Screamed
PPPPPRRRRRRIIIIIIIVVVVVVVVAAAAAAACCCCCCYYYYYYY.... .............over it ?

If/ When in the future they have an ability to have a search on a Certificate number ( registration ) just as they already do on Millions of manned aircraft, what difference does it make ?

If you model gets away and someone finds it how are they suppose to know who owns it unless they can trace the Number to it's owner ?
same way in case of you doing harm with it?

IF your Number is inside your model ( battery bay for example ) no one can see it unless YOU show them...and another NEWS FLASH...99% of the Public , has NO CLUE about ANY OF THIS !!!!!

My local Law enforcement has had NO instructions or knowledge of any registration.....

and besides as i stated They already KNOW everything about you......

the fear of someone reporting you over yada yada...IF you have done nothing and you know it and as one stated ( if your so worried ) FILM IT

BUT no one can get your number unless YOU give it to them....
And most of you have passed out your SS number like bubble gum to a vast array of entities already and none of you have complained ?

You have posted your info all over you models cause the AMA said so and you did not complain ???

Geesh......

Secure your information.......if your that worried, like you have suppose to have been all along.

I do not like all this either...BUT
they know everything anyway...and I have nothing to hid, nor will i try

I will fly and have fun and if approached ( as most all know me anyway -for I am surrounded by Law Enforcement ) I will just do as i always do
let them watch what i am doing and have a conversation and enjoy the moment.
And if i need to show them a Number, will be glad to do so...and if someone complains, I will straighten it out...
as I fly in a private location...others would have to be the ones trespassing !! End of story
Dec 19, 2015, 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HGhost
If/ When in the future they have an ability to have a search on a Certificate number ( registration ) just as they already do on Millions of manned aircraft, what difference does it make ?
so lets say i'm your neighbor and i don't like you because every time we are chatting and i try to make a point you go on long winded rants using caps and sarcasm and just a general all around bad attitude...

so i decide i'll just get even with you by breaking into your garage, unhooking your battery door, writing down your FAA number, then crashing a cheap HK drone on the whitehouse lawn with a few spaklers duct taped to the landing gear and your FAA number written down on it...

for the next year-ish, every bad day you have... you can thank me for that.

still cool with this whole thing?

even better, when these pirates publish your information (name/address) and i can just look up your FAA number instead of needing to break into your garage... just makes it that much easier to frame you (the neighbor i can't stand) for something that makes you guilty until proven innocent.

sound good to you?

how about this... go ahead and post your full name and address and AMA number here in this thread for the world to see, then keep talking down to people like they are complete idiots...

see how well that works out for you.
Dec 19, 2015, 02:18 PM
frank and beans....
i'm for a registration system but more like traditional aircraft. Let's raise the bar on the equipment & the cost of entry into the hobby. And for God sake have a registration system that identifies the model aircraft with the operator & a N number like all other aircraft, separating the two traditional aircraft & model aircraft by the FAA & DOT says to me that they're not the same as traditional aircraft & shouldn't be governed in the same way. Tha FAA is playing a double standard as it fits their interests.

Nietzsche