This thread is privately moderated by mudman1959, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Dec 17, 2015, 05:53 PM
Live to fly... Fly to live
Thread OP
Discussion

Our Hobby is in Jepordy...

Here is a letter I put together and have sent to my State Senators and Representatives... I am not against Multi Rotors and someday would like to have one. I see this as a issue for all RC Pilots... Be it Airplanes, Helicopters or Multirotors.

Dear Sir or Madam,

Recently the FAA has ruled that my Hobby is now to be regulated. I will now have to register to enjoy my Hobby. What is my Hobby you ask. It is flying RC airplanes. I am a current Member of the AMA (American Modelers Association) and have been for quite a few years. I follow their rules and regulations which state: Visual line of sight, Below 400 feet, Giveaway to any real aircraft, Do not fly within 5 miles of an airport, my airplanes are all marked with my name, address, phone number and AMA number. I am covered by the AMA insurance for any instance that might occur. I feel that we the few... 180,000 + members are being wrongly singled out. To regulate and enforce this FAA Regulation will be impossible and the cost to the tax payers will be phenomenal. The problem is not with the few that do follow the rules but the masses who do not. The ease and availability to acquire should I say a "Drone" or as we call them, Multi Rotors is very easy, sales this year for Christmas will be in the 100 of thousands. They are available everywhere and most are over the half pound minimum weight limit. The Ruling is vague in the description of what needs to be registered. It says "Drones"... Well I fly RC Airplanes, I... fly them! Not a Computer. Unfortunately all RC aircraft are included. I currently build all of my RC airplanes and in the last 25 + years I have been flying, regulating me will not change the issue, I will still fly by the Rules set forth by the AMA. Putting fines on us if we do not comply with the FAA registration and possible jail sentences for flying a Toy... Sounds ridiculous doesn't it. I have included the ruling below from the Senate dealing with "Aircraft flown for Hobby or Recreational use". The AMA is a Community-Based organization and has been for 80 + years. It is solely funded by the members and it is not a Government controlled agency. Our Freedoms as Americans are slowly disappearing in America. Please do not let someone regulate my Hobby away from me. I do not have the answer on how to fix the issue other than to teach and inform the masses who will get into the Hobby, flying RC this year and the correct way to do so. Thank You for your time and listening to a concerned RC Pilot.

FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012
Senate Bill, Section 607(g)
...exempts most model airplanes used for recreational or academic use from any UAS
regulations established by the FAA

SEC. 336. SPECIAL RULE FOR MODEL AIRCRAFT.
(a)
In General
.--Notwithstanding any other provision of law relating to the incorporation of
unmanned aircraft systems into Federal Aviation Administration plans and policies, including
this subtitle, the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration may not promulgate any
rule or regulation regarding a model aircraft, or an aircraft being developed as a model aircraft,
if--
(1) the aircraft is flown strictly for hobby or recreational use;
(2) the aircraft is operated in accordance with a community-based set of safety guidelines and
within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization;
(3) the aircraft is limited to not more than 55 pounds unless otherwise certified through a design,
construction, inspection, flight test, and operational safety program administered by a
community-based organization
(4) the aircraft is operated in a manner that does not interfere with and gives way to any manned
aircraft; and
(5) when flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the aircraft provides the airport
operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the
airport) with prior notice of the operation (model aircraft operators flying from a permanent
location within 5 miles of an airport should establish a mutually-agreed upon operating
procedure with the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic
facility is located at the airport)).
(b)
Statutory Construction
.--Nothing in this section shall be construed to limit the authority of
the Administrator to pursue enforcement action against persons operating model aircraft who
endanger the safety of the national airspace system.
(c)
Model Aircraft Defined
.--In this section, the term ``model aircraft'' means an unmanned
aircraft that is--
(1) capable of sustained flight in the atmosphere;
(2) flown within visual line of sight of the person operating the aircraft; and
(3) flown for hobby or recreational purposes
Last edited by mudman1959; Dec 17, 2015 at 05:59 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 17, 2015, 09:22 PM
Pronoun trouble...
The AMA just sent out a very encouraging memo: Don't register. They're working on it and unless their work is a total failure, the deadline isn't until February.

Quick Reply