Thread Tools
Mar 03, 2016, 04:39 AM
Registered User
If someone made a mach3 driver, I think the Thermino would become very popular!!! Love the concept and design.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Mar 03, 2016, 05:48 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datman
If someone made a mach3 driver, I think the Thermino would become very popular!!! Love the concept and design.
Doing that is a no-sense, as you lose than the best qualities of Theremino as the Theremino Cnc is freeware...
(my opinion, of course...)
Mar 11, 2016, 07:43 PM
Registered User
Harpia's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Søren Vedel
Wonderful tutorial, Pietro. Ande very well explained with a lot of pictures. Great job!

I wish I had seen your approach before I started out to go the Arduino way. Seems to be a lot easier. Anyway, I will continue my Arduino based cnc foam cutter, as I have got as far, as I am now.

I have a question:

Can you tell me, if I need DevWing Foam when I already have Profili Pro? I can generate G-code with Profili Pro, so does Dev Wing Foam make any advantage?
I think you can generate G Code with Profili Pro. Devwing Foam just have more features than Profili.

Edson
Mar 12, 2016, 05:47 AM
Registered User
Thread OP
I don't know how profili works.
Devwing foam is a reality nice piece of software indeed.
Mar 15, 2016, 06:57 PM
Registered User
Very nice build! I've been reading all I can about the Theremino and trying to put together a complete list of all components I will need for my build. I will be building wings for 116" wingspan Extra 300 model. 2 piece wings and stabs but will need to have wing tube holes cut.

Do you know of the DevFoam app allows for this?

I have been intimidated to build a system as I do not know any "coding" that seems required for Arduino and other systems. Theremino seems to remove that obstacle!

Thanks very much for sharing your build with such great detail!Rob
California
Last edited by Aerobotix; Mar 15, 2016 at 07:05 PM.
Mar 16, 2016, 02:33 AM
Registered User
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerobotix
Very nice build! I've been reading all I can about the Theremino and trying to put together a complete list of all components I will need for my build. I will be building wings for 116" wingspan Extra 300 model. 2 piece wings and stabs but will need to have wing tube holes cut.

Do you know of the DevFoam app allows for this?
Yes DevWing foam can add holes to any panel you have in your wing.

Here an example of a wing I'm planning to cut with a circular (a tube) to make servo wires to pass trough.
Same situation if you want to cut a circular/rectangular hole to insert a spar



You can define shape and dimensions both for root and tip of your panel.
Then you decide if you want to cut it during the profile cutting (holes must be at the same percentage of chord on root/tip) or to cut in a second stage (you can remove shell and cut your hole)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerobotix
I have been intimidated to build a system as I do not know any "coding" that seems required for Arduino and other systems. Theremino seems to remove that obstacle!
Thanks very much for sharing your build with such great detail!
Rob
California
Theremino is really simple to use. Just follow my wiring instrucions (ask if needed)
Then if you want to use ThereminoCNC you only have to add your pins and pin type in HAL and you're ready to go

With DevCNC Foam this is not needed. You enter preferences and set there your setup (motor rotation, step/mm ecc ecc.) super easy

Ciao!
Last edited by pieri70; Apr 05, 2016 at 03:25 PM.
Mar 17, 2016, 12:19 PM
Registered User
Thanks for the reply. I'm in the early stage of creating a list of parts to build the machine. Trying to learn about linear vs. belt systems. Then order and assemble the system.

How are you connecting the actual "hot wire" to the carriage system? Are you using a spring to maintain tension for tapered cuts? I saw that Theremino has temp sensors and I'd be interested in having an automated temp control feature from the software.

What are you using as the power source for the Hotwire?

Thanks!

Rob

[QUOTE=pieri70;34272411]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerobotix
Very nice build! I've been reading all I can about the Theremino and trying to put together a complete list of all components I will need for my build. I will be building wings for 116" wingspan Extra 300 model. 2 piece wings and stabs but will need to have wing tube holes cut.

Do you know of the DevFoam app allows for this?[7quote]

Yes DevWing foam can add holes to any panel you have in your wing.

Here an example of a wing I'm planning to cut with a circular (a tube) to make servo wires to pass trough.
Same situation if you want to cut a circular/rectangular hole to insert a spar



You can define shape and dimensions both for root and tip of your panel.
Then you decide if you want to cut it during the profile cutting (holes must be at the same percentage of chord on root/tip) or to cut in a second stage (you can remove shell and cut your hole)



Theremino is really simple to use. Just follow my wiring instrucions (ask if needed)
Then if you want to use ThereminoCNC you only have to add your pins and pin type in HAL and you're ready to go

With DevCNC Foam this is not needed. You enter preferences and set there your setup (motor rotation, step/mm ecc ecc.) super easy

Ciao!
Mar 18, 2016, 05:57 AM
Registered User
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerobotix
How are you connecting the actual "hot wire" to the carriage system? Are you using a spring to maintain tension for tapered cuts?
On the Y axis I have a V carved Aluminium support.

Look figure 2 here below under the arrow there is the wire (red spot) and the V carve.



I mave a sharp "V" with a rasp.
These two V are support for the wire, that is tighten by a light bow that must be as long as carriage Y position in the maximum extent on your sweep wing

If you use springs to tighten your wire you surely get unwanted cuts..


Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerobotix
I saw that Theremino has temp sensors and I'd be interested in having an automated temp control feature from the software.
Yes it has temp sensor but temperature control isn't controlled by that..
You can set a pwm signal that move a potentiometer to dim your power, but I didn't use this..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerobotix
What are you using as the power source for the Hotwire?
A simple AC/AC power supply with a dimmer to control power output.
If you want to drive a 0.2mm wire 1m long you need at least 48V 150VA.
Mar 20, 2016, 03:52 AM
Registered User
Thread OP
Here is a test with Chuwi Hi8 Pro windows 10 tablet

4 axis CNC Theremino and cheap 8" Win tablet (1 min 54 sec)
Mar 22, 2016, 04:17 PM
Warbirds Lover
Dreamcatcher's Avatar
great cnc machine !

thank you for sharing :-)
Mar 22, 2016, 04:56 PM
Registered User
Thread OP
Hope you enjoy!
Apr 04, 2016, 10:09 PM
Registered User
Awesome job!
10 Euro for the board?? Already purchased mine!

Do you believe the theremino free CNC softwares will be continously updated?

I have a RAMP 1.4 arduino shield board, I should be able to hook it up to theremino without problems, right?

As far as softwares go, do I really need Profili, or DevWing to cut wing or is it possible to draw my wing in any cad (I'm very good at SolidWorks) and generate the Gcode? I really don't want to spend the money...my cnc is already at USD140 without the frame (I already have the bearings and rails though) and I set a budget of USD200 maximum for this project.

Thanks!
Apr 05, 2016, 03:13 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasciodc
Awesome job!
10 Euro for the board?? Already purchased mine!

Do you believe the theremino free CNC softwares will be continously updated?

I have a RAMP 1.4 arduino shield board, I should be able to hook it up to theremino without problems, right?

As far as softwares go, do I really need Profili, or DevWing to cut wing or is it possible to draw my wing in any cad (I'm very good at SolidWorks) and generate the Gcode? I really don't want to spend the money...my cnc is already at USD140 without the frame (I already have the bearings and rails though) and I set a budget of USD200 maximum for this project.

Thanks!
Actually Theremino Cnc is updated on a regular basis, for the future I don't know as I'm not in the Theremino development team.

Creating GCode of a wing using SolidWork is possible, but requires some special skills if the wing is tapered, still more if you want to apply spars, holes, LE or TE. I suggest devWing Foam, my application
Apr 05, 2016, 06:32 AM
Registered User
Thread OP
Hello
I can confirm what Durone said
I can suggest you to use a CNC Shield V3 that is proven to work on this setup.
You can find it starting at 4$ on ebay

I have no experience with Ramps 1.4 but I know it works only at 12V maximum.. and I don't know which are the exact pins to connect..

Bye
Apr 21, 2016, 11:41 PM
Registered User
William_Sidney's Avatar

CNC Upgrades


Great Post!

Ordered a Master DIL to build the CNC adapter for my HobbyCNC board.

http://www.theremino.com/hardware/adapters#cnc

Will look at using DevCNC and DevWing Foam to replace jedicut.


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools