Dec 17, 2015, 08:12 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

new adhesive:too good to be true?

https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid...www.5secondfix

what can you tell about this product?
what is it made of?
anything?
is it feasible or just another publicity exageration?
tubeless tires, multigrade oil, crazy glue. epoxy, monokote... all seemed too good to be true, so why not this?
but we need evidence on what it is made of, and how it works.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 17, 2015, 10:09 AM
Been to the dentist in the last few years?

This looks remarkably like what they use now in place of silver fillings, a UV activated polymer.
Dec 17, 2015, 01:05 PM
B for Bruce
I've got two such fillings in my own head which have been there for over 15 years now. So I suppose it shouldn't be a surprise that the resin they use has made it to the commercial market by now. And at $20 for a specialty repair if it works I'd buy it. Hell, I'd buy one to try at that price.

One of the first styles of 3D printers was a UV cured resin where the platen slowly sunk into a pool of the liquid resin while the printer's UV light scanned over the surface of the resin and "cured" the printed shape out of the pool. And that was also about 12 to 15 years ago.

I don't see using it for general building since I'm suspecting that there's likely only a CC or so of the resin in that pen. But I'd buy one to try on some tough repairs just to see how it works out. And I'd be FAIRLY confident in it since these UV cured resins are not all that new..... and the fillings are still holding up just fine.
Dec 17, 2015, 01:19 PM
It might be smart and maybe cheaper to get hold of the exact stuff used by quality dentists

my cousin, a highly regarded dentist also teaching dentistry, told me his estimate was that maybe 90% or more of USA dentists practice bad dentistry .... but that should not be big news and is not different from many countries unfortunately
Dec 17, 2015, 02:34 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMatthews
I've got two such fillings in my own head which have been there for over 15 years now. So I suppose it shouldn't be a surprise that the resin they use has made it to the commercial market by now. And at $20 for a specialty repair if it works I'd buy it. Hell, I'd buy one to try at that price.

One of the first styles of 3D printers was a UV cured resin where the platen slowly sunk into a pool of the liquid resin while the printer's UV light scanned over the surface of the resin and "cured" the printed shape out of the pool. And that was also about 12 to 15 years ago.

I don't see using it for general building since I'm suspecting that there's likely only a CC or so of the resin in that pen. But I'd buy one to try on some tough repairs just to see how it works out. And I'd be FAIRLY confident in it since these UV cured resins are not all that new..... and the fillings are still holding up just fine.
thanks form the input. and it would be great to find out if there is a source so we can buy it in larger quantities and still be of high quality. maybe only for small repairs, but see what is happening with cyanoacrilate: now we can get it at dollar stores way cheaper than it was when it was released. and then learn about the uv device that comes with the package to see if it can be used-and how long- if buying it initially and then getting the thing somewhere else.
anyway, seems promising, knowing what it is and that lasts long.
Dec 17, 2015, 02:38 PM
Thread OP

another source

there is a possible source here:
http://www.masterbond.com/products/uv-adhesives
could be interesting to see if we can get some.
Dec 17, 2015, 05:43 PM
Thread OP

more

and this too:

http://www.polysciences.com/default/...ctive-monomers
Dec 17, 2015, 06:19 PM
Sink stinks
Not too good to be true, but too good to be glue.
Dec 17, 2015, 06:58 PM
You should look at UV curing resins for SLA 3D printing. Finding the adequate UV light source is also important. And like all resins these should be handled with some care.
Dec 18, 2015, 02:51 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandano
You should look at UV curing resins for SLA 3D printing. Finding the adequate UV light source is also important. And like all resins these should be handled with some care.
thanks.
tried, but there are too many products and haven't been able to find a place where they have an easy access.

it could be better if you can provide a link.
Last edited by phil alvirez; Dec 18, 2015 at 03:02 PM.
Dec 18, 2015, 04:56 PM
I only have a conventional Fused Filament Deposition printer. There's a few people that have built their own stereolithographic printer in the #reprap channel of the freenode IRC network that might know of good resin sources near where you live. A quick search on google for "sla resin canada" brought me to this page: http://creativecad.works/index.php?r...ory&path=20_27 , BUT I do not know them and can't tell if their product is a good one.
Dec 18, 2015, 04:56 PM
I think that UV-setting resins are also used to create tough decorative surfaces on ladies' fingernails.
Dec 19, 2015, 08:50 AM
Thread OP

source

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogbeagle
I think that UV-setting resins are also used to create tough decorative surfaces on ladies' fingernails.
that could be a source.
if some1 can provide a link?
Dec 19, 2015, 08:24 PM
Entropy is happening!
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlcrlee
It might be smart and maybe cheaper to get hold of the exact stuff used by quality dentists

my cousin, a highly regarded dentist also teaching dentistry, told me his estimate was that maybe 90% or more of USA dentists practice bad dentistry .... but that should not be big news and is not different from many countries unfortunately
Yes, just like Australia for example!
Dec 19, 2015, 08:53 PM
semper mitis
Saw this earlier and don't know much. It appears to be a similar product.

The reviewer's curse strikes again (with Bondic) (5 min 34 sec)

Quick Reply