Dec 17, 2015, 08:03 AM
Thread OP
Question

Favorite Charger

Hello All,

I was looking at getting a new charger and I am looking at the Hitec X4. I was curious what others are using or what do you think of the X4?
to remove ads between posts
Dec 17, 2015, 09:27 AM
My favorite is my Revolectrix Dual PowerLab 8x2. I have no experience with the X4.
Dec 17, 2015, 10:13 AM
I use both the Revolectrix CellPro 10S (no longer available) and the CellPro 10XP. They work well and, they are very easy to use.
Dec 17, 2015, 10:47 AM
Jaketheone46
My favorite is the reaktor charger lineup I prefer single units and love my 300..if I was goint to go wit a dual or quad charger I would definitly go for the reaktor 300 x2 or the 300 x 4. So accurate and so many features.. I dont think they can be beat for the price..
Check out the reaktor 300 thread its very popular and the dual and quad versions are the same model as the single in every way stuffed into the dual or quad case..
4 reaktor 300's in one case could do some serious charging..most other dual and quad chargers have 4 50 watt units stuffed in a case the reaktor is 4 300 watt units..power!!
Dec 17, 2015, 12:02 PM
Revolectrix GT500.
Dec 17, 2015, 05:33 PM
H4 is a relatively low watt charger that might be OK for low cell count packs 2,3, maybe 4 cells.
Dec 17, 2015, 06:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobinseattle
Hello All,

I was looking at getting a new charger and I am looking at the Hitec X4. I was curious what others are using or what do you think of the X4?
What ever you decide, buy the best charger with your budget. Buy good, buy once.

As for my club,most have purchased one of the Cellpro line. The Cellpro PL8 will handle yust about anything, with the PL6 not fat behind.

I've got 2 PL8s, have set up a half dozen club members Pl6 and PL8s. Everyone is happy with theirs.

Cellpro has a USB dongle that allows full customizing your charger, right down to putting your name and phone number into the chargers LCD display.
Dec 18, 2015, 03:19 PM
Quote:
Hello All,

Well let's go about this from a different direction. Just what are your charging requirements?

What are the different cell counts that you need to charge?

What is the largest battery you need to charge (to figure the watts, full charge pack voltage times the Ah).

How many batteries of each cell count do you need to charge at one time?

If you only have one or two cell counts you probably don't need a quad charger.

If your largest battery requires more than 80 watts for a 1C charge you probably should be looking at a higher wattage charger.

If you need to charge several low wattage batteries of differing cell counts at the same time then the X4 might very well be the best choice.

IF your requirements point to a multi section charger of higher wattage I recommend the GT500 DUO.
http://www.usastore.revolectrix.com/...GT500_Category

Glen
Dec 18, 2015, 04:01 PM
I have been using the Hitec 4X and am happy with it. I fly gas, not electric, so every plane will have at least 2 batteries (rx and ignition), and sometimes more when I use an on board starter, and the Hitec receiver with the second battery option. That will be 2 to 3 liFe and one Lipo, and I can charge all of them in one session.
True, I don't use any battery with a cell count of more than 4, and generally the highest capacity is 3200 mAH.
I am using a converted PC power supply as my 12 V source and never had an issue.
Dec 19, 2015, 06:02 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcrandall1
Well let's go about this from a different direction. Just what are your charging requirements?

What is the largest battery you need to charge (to figure the watts, full charge pack voltage times the Ah).

If your largest battery requires more than 80 watts for a 1C charge you probably should be looking at a higher wattage charger.

If you need to charge several low wattage batteries of differing cell counts at the same time then the X4 might very well be the best choice.

IF your requirements point to a multi section charger of higher wattage I recommend the GT500 DUO.

Glen
I have a bunch of different batteries from 2S-6S .

Thanks everyone for your input. After thinking about it. I probably don't need a quad. Thinking about this now. Hitec X2 AC Plus 2 Port AC/DC Multi-Charger

I really want to stay under about $130
Last edited by jobinseattle; Dec 19, 2015 at 08:42 AM.
Dec 19, 2015, 10:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcrandall1

Glen
I'd also highly recommend the GT500/GT500 DUO. I charge a 3C all the time and have no reservations about it.
Dec 19, 2015, 10:41 AM
Quote:
I have a bunch of different batteries from 2S-6S .

Thanks everyone for your input. After thinking about it. I probably don't need a quad. Thinking about this now. Hitec X2 AC Plus 2 Port AC/DC Multi-Charger

I really want to stay under about $130
On AC input, the Hitec has a max rating of 100 Watts. That's 4 Amps max charging current on s 6S LiPo.

It also has only a 200 Ma balancing capability. The Cellpro chargers mentioned are much more capable, but they are also much more $$$$.
Dec 19, 2015, 03:33 PM
Thread OP
This has been very helpul. Maybe I just just get a single charger with a higher watage ouput and spend a little more money.
Dec 19, 2015, 04:18 PM
Quote:
This has been very helpul. Maybe I just just get a single charger with a higher watage ouput and spend a little more money.
I think it would be wise to size your charger according to the packs you are using (capacity) x number the packs you want to charge (e.g., parallel charging) x the charge rate (I'd figure at least 3C) and determine the minimum number of watts you need. Take into consideration where you might be going in the next 2-3 or more years in terms of higher capacity packs. It's better to oversize than under size.

I have two sets of packs for my aircraft and charge at the field at 3C. Flight time is ~9 minutes and charge time is 20-23 minutes so I have a short break in between flights.
Dec 19, 2015, 05:32 PM
Thread OP
Hoping someone can help understand what the cord is coming out of this charger? My current charger does not have this. Only an area to plug in a parallel board.

Quick Reply