FAA Registration for RC glider pilots - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Dec 17, 2015, 12:44 AM
Team Hello Kitty
Discussion

FAA Registration for RC glider pilots

For those who wish to comply with the new FAA requirement to register as an RC pilot (starts Dec 21 2015), here are links to some excellent info that has been posted in other RC Groups threads or by other clubs. I'll update this list as more references pop up. Feel free to contribute links and observations.

From the FAA
FAA Registration page for RC pilots
Dec 17 2015 update - the AMA just issued a request to all AMA members to hold off on FAA registration. See the full text in the AMA section of this post (below).
From RC Groups Multi Task F3X forum area
"2 days left for comments to the DOT registration of models"
From RC Groups Dynamic Soaring forum area
"New regs?"
From RC Groups Sailplane Talk forum area
"sUAS FAA-required registration Open Now?"
From the South Bay Soaring Society (SBSS) club forum
"The FAA did it!"

"More on FAA rules"
From the CVRC website:
"FAA announces drone registration rules as report highlights soaring dangers"
From the AMA
Dec 17 2015, AMA Govt Relations Blog - "Hold Off On Registering Model Aircraft"
The AMA is working to get the FAA to exempt AMA members from registration...
Misc References
"FAA Rule - Registration and Marking Requirements for Small Unmanned Aircraft" - New Rule as of Dec 16 2015. Very long, lots of details, included for reference only.
Last edited by SoaringDude; Dec 18, 2015 at 12:33 AM. Reason: links update
to remove ads between posts
Dec 17, 2015, 11:19 AM
Team Hello Kitty

Distance from SVSS field to UCD airport

One of the FAA requirements is that you contact "the airport and control tower" before flying any RC aircraft within 5 miles of any airport. As the Google Earth image below shows, the distance from the closest (NW) corner of the SVSS field to the southern-most end of the UCD airstrip runway is 5.25 miles. So there is no need to contact the airport when flying at our field.

Chris
Dec 17, 2015, 11:42 AM
Old Prop Buster

Comment on FAA Regs

If you want to comment page on the new regs the FAA website is open for comments. Here is the link.
http://www.regulations.gov/#!documen...2015-7396-0001
Gary
Dec 17, 2015, 02:08 PM
Old Prop Buster
I almost forgot.
You must be registered by February 19th, 2016.
Anyone caught flying without proper registration after that date could face a fine. The FAA says civil penalties include a fine of up to $27,500. Criminal penalties include a fine of up to $250,000 and up to three years in jail.
I wonder if I can get a prison tattoo of a Radian?
Remember there is no enforcement arm of the FAA, but it is possible to get a fine. The FAA fined SkyPan 1.9 million recently.
Gary
Dec 17, 2015, 02:12 PM
Electric Airplane Junkie
what is this then??

http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certific...t_registry/UA/

Brian, an EAJ
Dec 17, 2015, 02:25 PM
Team Hello Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhchan
Wow, great find Brian. That FAA page directly conflicts with the main UAS registration page. My guess is that it will be corrected soon.

Brian, I just noticed that at the bottom of your page the Last Modified Date is August 21, 2015 9:45:12 AM EDT. That date predates the official FAA reg announcement.
Last edited by SoaringDude; Dec 17, 2015 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Clarified FAA page last modified date
Dec 17, 2015, 09:53 PM
Team Hello Kitty

Dec 17 2015: Two things happened today

1. The AMA issued a request to all AMA members on their Govt Relations Blog to "hold off" on registering with the FAA. Full text of that message is here.

2. The FAA issued a "Fact Sheet" clarifying the fact that, in essence, state and local laws cannot override federal laws affecting UAS. This does not affect SVSS members but it's good news for RC soaring pilots who live inside the LA city limits (see this RCG thread for details).
Dec 18, 2015, 11:15 AM
Old Prop Buster
I read the message from the AMA and there were several points. One don't comment on the proposed regulations yet. Too late, I guess they wanted to give us talking points? Second don't register yet. I am going attempt to register Monday morning so I can be a guinea pig. I believe there is going to be some sort of agreement we have to acknowledge to complete registration. This was one of the recommendations of the task force. Maybe it won't be there, but I want to read and have that document to see what we are agreeing to. I am not 100% convinced yet that there is not going be rules like a 400 foot max. altitude. The FAA is pretty much rushing this through and flying by the seat of their pants on this.
Yes the Feds regulate the sky, but the cities may regulate the land where you take off and land from. A lot of good that will do you when you are in the LA jail. Is the FAA going to come your defense when you end up in court? There is an old saying, you can't fight city hall and that really applies here. I hope that someone who reads that does not say " I can fly my multi rotor at the Grasslands Park (SVSS Field) and there is nothing anybody can do about it." I doubt that will happen, but you get the picture. I guess that means you can fly from national parks now?
You are right Chris it really does not affect us.
Dec 18, 2015, 03:05 PM
Team Hello Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Dumb Thumb
... I am not 100% convinced yet that there is not going be rules like a 400 foot max. altitude. ...
Gary, long term I share your feeling about this, esp. as more commercial drones are pressed into service. Here's one of many reports on this market:
Report: Commercial UAV market to reach $2 billion by 2022
Just a wild guess that eventually flying fields will have to apply to the FAA for a permit to exceed 400'.
Dec 25, 2015, 01:30 AM
Good for what ALES you
Another drone in the news...

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/...during-a-race/
Dec 26, 2015, 11:56 PM

Don't shoot at drones

Message body
Is It OK to Shoot Down Your Neighbor's Drone?

http://gizmodo.com/is-it-ok-to-shoot...one-1718055028
Dec 27, 2015, 01:32 AM
Good for what ALES you
BTW, how does the new regulation prevent this?

Video of Gun-Firing Drone Spurs Investigation (1 min 8 sec)
Jan 15, 2016, 03:14 PM
while I kiss the sky
I am waiting until Monday Jan.18 to register, as AMA has indicated in the blog,
that they are expecting additional clarification on 400 ft. height limits etc.,
after the weekend talks with FAA.
I am also concerned about the security of credit card and personal info. on the FAA website.
Much about this situation is still "up in the air” and will likely not be resolved for a while yet.
Dave
Last edited by Wavy Davy; Jan 15, 2016 at 03:36 PM.
Jan 15, 2016, 03:44 PM
while I kiss the sky
I have recently watched two TV programs from the 1960's (Man From U.N.C.L.E. and Fireball XL-5) featuring a RC plane being used as a bomb, or platform for shooting projectiles. This kind of stuff has been around for a long time ;-)