Dec 16, 2015, 08:23 PM
Thread OP
Alert

More on FAA rules

All pilots of any rc aircraft must be registered. This applies to all pilots 13 yrs or older. Failure to register before flying any rc aircraft outdoors is the same as failure to register a full size aircraft - $250,000 fine and possible jail time.

Registration begins Dec. 21, 2015. Registration fee is $5. Registration must be renewed every 3 years. Registration is FREE from Dec. 21, 2015 to Jan. 20, 2016. I understand you pay and then it is refunded.

As of now the AMA does not require FAA registration for AMA membership. SBSS will NOT be checking for FAA registration.

I have sent an inquiry to the AMA on whether the 400 foot FAA altitude limit is a hard restriction and whether the 5 mile limit from airports is a strict no-fly zone. I'll keep you up to date here.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 18, 2015, 04:13 PM
Thread OP

FAA rules clarification

Height and airport rules remain as before. We can fly over 400 feet and must notify airports within 5 miles. NOTHING HAS CHANGED FOR US.
Info per answer to my inquiry to AMA.
Dec 18, 2015, 11:00 PM
In an email from AMA today, they suggest holding off registration for awhile while a legal issue is decided by the courts or until closer to the Feb deadline.
Dec 19, 2015, 07:44 PM
Thread OP

My feelings on registration

Registration is free until Jan 20, 2016. So why not register. Who knows when a Federal action is going to be settled. This one has been going on since Aug 2014. But then again the fee is only $5. The choice is your's. I am going to register.
Dec 19, 2015, 08:41 PM
It is just $5 for 3 years, so don't worry about the free period. Let's hold off registration for now so that AMA has a chance to flex its muscles. The fewer registrations FAA starts to get, they will treat AMA the more seriously.

Besides, who knows what bugs this new registration website might still have. Let somebody else test it out first for a couple weeks.

Relax.

(DLG is fun! And they can be built under 250g. )
Last edited by Haoyang Wang; Dec 19, 2015 at 08:52 PM.
Dec 22, 2015, 08:02 PM
Thread OP

400ft ceiling

If you try to register, the FAA requires you to attest that you will not fly higher than 400ft. Later in the application, they ask you to swear under penalty of fines that all info you give in the application is true.

LOOKS LIKE DESPITE WHAT THE AMA SENT ME, THERE IS A HARD CELING AT 400ft.

Dec 23, 2015, 11:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdemattei
If you try to register, the FAA requires you to attest that you will not fly higher than 400ft. Later in the application, they ask you to swear under penalty of fines that all info you give in the application is true.

LOOKS LIKE DESPITE WHAT THE AMA SENT ME, THERE IS A HARD CELING AT 400ft.

Too soon to say. AMA is still fighting for us. Don't register yet. There seems to be a reasonable chance that it will be an "either or" type of thing where we'd still follow the AMA safety guidelines which may allow flight over 400 foot.
Dec 23, 2015, 12:18 PM
Sean Worthington
I agree with Bob on not registering before the end of the time period or the language changes to something that we can live with. We have some time to let this sort out.

If someone registers and the language changes, it is conceivable that they could be held to the old language given they signed it.
Dec 23, 2015, 01:27 PM
The reason I brought up the 400' issue and the 5 mile airport minimum to the board was that everything FAA I read said 400' and 5 miles. Ultimately it is each clubs responsibility to contact the airport, not the AMA . We fly in FAA airspace, not AMA airspace.. Emphatically, don't register yet. I hope the AMA and the FAA get together on this soon. It does not sound like the AMA has the correct process in place yet otherwise we would already be registered with the airports.
BS
Dec 24, 2015, 01:30 AM
NorCal Electric Soaring (NES)
I'm following along with you guys. Two other good threads on this in the Sailplane Talk area. Per the AMA they should have more to report after mid January and 2 more meetings with the FAA. Fingers crossed!

Chris B.
Dec 24, 2015, 12:52 PM
High Lift Coefficient

.....and they keep coming

Washington Post has an article that states 400,000 of the wrapped gifts under the Xmas trees are drones Expect to hear a lot of strange noises around the neighborhood tomorrow afternoon and this weekend!

Merry Drone Christmas!
Dec 27, 2015, 11:42 PM
FYI, If you register with the FAA for the New Law. Your Information goes public to All people in the world. Your Name, Address, Age, Phone Numbers, and the remainder of the info you fill out in the registration. I just got wind of this.

Tim
Dec 28, 2015, 01:09 PM
Following is a copy from the FAA Web site. It appears their intent is to keep data private except for law enforcement, but that could, of course,

"Q34. What information will I be required to provide on the FAA UAS Registration website?
A. You must provide your complete name, physical address, mailing address, and an email address. The email address will be used as your login ID when you set up your account.

Q42. Who can see the data that I can enter?
A. The FAA will be able to see the data that you enter. The FAA is using a contractor to maintain the website and database, and that contractor also will be able to see the data that you enter. Like the FAA, the contractor is required to comply with strict legal requirements to protect the confidentiality of the personal data you provide. Under certain circumstances, law enforcement officers might also be able to see the data. In the future, the registration database will be searchable by registration number, but not by name or address. However, it is not searchable at this time."
Dec 28, 2015, 01:11 PM
......that, of course, could change.
Dec 28, 2015, 03:57 PM
Here is the comments I uselessly sent to the FAA.

"AMA members have guidelines and insurance of $2.5 million. They already have a database that more than meets FAA UAS requirements. The 400' altitude limit will destroy the glider or sail plane pilotless hobby. We can see full scale aircraft and should be able to fly in AMA designated sites with a 1000' altitude limit."

Quick Reply