Nosen Citabria - 1/4 scale Bush Plane - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Dec 16, 2015, 11:30 AM
Build Log

Nosen Citabria - 1/4 scale Bush Plane

OK, quick intro if you can bear with me.

Fairly new to site. Long time hobbyist. I went into hiding for 10-12 years with family, kids, job, life etc after being in the hobby for 10 yrs during the 90's. Getting back and collecting goodies again.

Things sure changed. Mainly the ARF world and lack of kits and builders. Yes, I was a builder and diving back in where I left off.

First inline, I needed a work bench and work area. I did some clearing and rearranging in the garage. Snagged an isolated corner. I had a couple used base cabinet units from a demo job, add a 2' x 6'8" flush birch HC door with a 1/4 drywall surface and back in business. I can now build and leave project on a dedicated table again.

On with the project.

Nosen 1/4 sc Citabria. Yes, the lumber yard box with die crunching. Glutten for punishment but these were the early intro of giant scale. That's what makes it fun.

build won't be crazy fast as still have kids in the home, work, shores etc.

oh yea, vision

Mild bashing a Citabria into a Denali Scout with tundra tires. She will have flaps, enlarged vertical redesigned fin/rudder, squared off elevators, redesigned wing tips, added flaps, longer extended carbon fiber landing gear (bush plane look) vs the squatty aluminum Nosen kit and lastly a set of PR Bush authentic scaled bush tires. Power plant will be a Brison 2.4 gas. I had one before and scored one NIB. Great engine designed for aircraft with 22#'s of thrust.

couple warm up pics. will be semi-boring till some real structure starts to appear.

photos compliments of iPhone. all I have. sorry
Last edited by RagwingFan; Dec 17, 2015 at 12:22 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 16, 2015, 11:36 AM
Catching up to date

I spent a couple hours a couple weeks back punching and cutting out die cut parts as well as basic inventory of kit. I had purchased several months back online. Just been waiting for chance to break her open.

couple pics for grins
Dec 16, 2015, 11:44 AM
OK, last night finally started some actual construction

the fuse sides are 1/4" stick material. There are additional laminations to build out cabin area as well as dowel stringers down length of fuse. fun truss construction. a lot of angles to cut. The basic side construction is done to the point I will be adding the main plywood cabin cross former.

For those not familiar with Nosen kits from the past and are spoiled wth modern arms, check out the 2 page construction manual for a 1/4 sc aircraft
Dec 16, 2015, 12:00 PM
OK, pretty much up to speed

Had to include a couple pics just for those who may be lured by the flashy box art of modern kits/planes.

here's a couple pics how Nosen kits were packaged. My Citabria lost its package pic. I have a Champ in stash as well. You can see that over whelming fine box art.
Dec 16, 2015, 06:11 PM
Veni Vidi Volavi
RagWIng Fan

Glad to have you back in the hobby. I had a Nosen Citabria years ago. OS160 two about 17's #'s

Great flyer, absolutely horrible kit. Started it and took 5 years to finish. Only reason I finished it was that I got tired of knocking pieces off it in the shop when I had to move it. Glad I did finish it as it became one of my favorite flyers. Lost it at a flyin in when the TX battery went south all of a sudden.

Have a few of the Nosen kits in the stash. The Champ, the Citabria, a Mr Mulligan and a couple of Cubs. Need to build a new one one of these days.

Enjoy the build, don't let the lousy kit quality and instructions get you down. The end result is definitely worth it!!

Brian

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I saw I flew
Dec 17, 2015, 12:14 PM
Thanks Brian. Still in the honeymoon phase of the build.

Here's some progress from last night.

laminated fuse cabin main secondary former as well as firewall. Marked firewall centerline and thrust line. Always easier to it before things are glued in place. I glued in ply laminations around cabin windows. Lastly, glued in cabin main former. Tonight, I should be able to pull tail together and start installing cross bracing etc.
Dec 17, 2015, 12:21 PM
OK, How about so teaser pics of what's to come.

Comparison pictures of original Nosen aluminum gear vs carbon fiber longer extended leg gear (from 1/4 scale Hemphill Extreme Decathlon).

Carbon fiber gear little wider at top mount but should work out perfect where exits lower fuse. Nosen gear was kind of "sucked" into lower fuse area.
Dec 17, 2015, 05:10 PM
May not be your style and may think its crazy

but here's the shoes for the project

nice comparison shot of 1/4 sc Cub tires.

scale Alaska Bush tires by PR Bush in Alaska.

Huge, scaled 36" tundra tires which are 8 3/4" at 1/4 scale..
Dec 17, 2015, 05:15 PM
couple pics of actual aircraft

still not decided on paint scheme. plenty of time for that.
Last edited by RagwingFan; Dec 18, 2015 at 04:26 PM.
Dec 18, 2015, 12:57 PM
I want to know how you could have a kit for several months and not open it
Dec 18, 2015, 04:20 PM
I hear you. lets say I started collecting a few kits in hopes of getting back in hobby. Then my youngest son (13) started an interest in learning how to fly. Well, that opened the door to fully launch back into the hobby selling the Mrs on that father and son adventure.

Great to be back in the world of balsa dust
Dec 19, 2015, 09:04 AM
Neat! Good luck with build. I'm a Houston grad so know the Woodlands.
Dec 19, 2015, 04:14 PM
Nice to see another "builder" back at it again!
I have a stash of large boxes that contain balsa "lumberyards" in them also!

I have taken an interest in the "bush style" aircraft myself after watching the Valdeez Alaska guys compete at Oshkosh air show the past two years!