Dec 16, 2015, 01:06 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Upgraded to ball diffs and now the dog bones won't stay in place

Hi, I just upgraded to ball differentials in my HPI Sprint 2 flux. But the dog bones up front seem to be too short? They fall out of the steering joint behind the wheel and get wedged up preventing the wheel from spinning and steering. I am not sure what's going on here as I transfered everything correctly.

If I steer the wheel completely on either side the dog bone falls out also.

I checked the exploded view and I am not missing any parts.

Thank you for any help
to remove ads between posts
Dec 16, 2015, 07:46 AM
Suspended Account
hi GT thats a common problem. I did not check but if you look im almost sure ud find longer cvd's for that .but till u can use a piece of nitro fuel tube and put in Drive cups on diff ..so they push the axle into drive cup on wheel. best advice i can give.can use a small piece oh wheel cup also to keep in drive cup on dif..
Dec 16, 2015, 08:51 AM
Did I make the A Main?
try to see if you can place some shims on the inside end of the axle before the bearing which will draw the axle closer into the out drive. Keep adding shims until you can't go any farther to where the hex pin will press up on outer bearing on the upright:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-5x8-...IAAOSwl9BWKVgq

Also check your camber adjustment and verify it's at -2:
http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/sho...28#post1953528

If you have any positive camber, then that could be another contributing factor.

Dec 16, 2015, 10:35 AM
Kid at heart..
Would putting O-rings inside the cups to prevent the dog bones from traveling too far one way or another help?
Dec 16, 2015, 10:46 AM
Did I make the A Main?
most definitely, I thought they were CVD's... since you've got dog bone's I would consider buying fuel tubing and using that instead. Once you figure the proper length you can pre cut more for later, on some cars you need different lengths on each respective side of the diff, here is an example from my Exceed DriftKing:

Dec 16, 2015, 11:26 AM
Thread OP
Thank you for the replies everyone. I noticed on HPI's website that they have optional dog bones which are about 30mm longer. So I'm assuming those are meant to be used in conjunction with the optional diffs.

For now I will try the fuel tubing and see how that works, thank you very much for the help everyone!
Dec 16, 2015, 12:40 PM
Suspended Account
like i said GT hpi makes longer dog bones.. try it im sure it will work
Dec 16, 2015, 02:08 PM
Would the hpi universals fix this issue?
Dec 16, 2015, 03:03 PM
Suspended Account
I have read many posts saying YES .. so my guess would be Sure i think.

Only HPI i run is a heavily modded 5B and a Hpi Vorza as my Dragster..both are so far from stock and I built my own dog-bones .
Dec 16, 2015, 06:18 PM
Thread OP
Guys lol. I decided to run the car 2wd to see what it was like and I have to say I had more fun on 2wd than I ever had on awd lol. It swings around like a real car. The only thing that sucks is that the car will do a 180 during a hard brake but its easily liveable lol. But still had a lot of fun

Quick Reply