Dec 15, 2015, 09:25 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Spencer Ornithopter Historic Videos

Hi folks. I just finished making some new videos about the ornithopter work of Percival Spencer. Around 1960, Spencer built the world's first radio controlled ornithopter, called the Orniplane, and a whole series of engine-powered ornithopters in the shape of a bird. Spencer was one of the greatest early contributors to the development of the ornithopters that we have today.

Spencer Seagulls
Spencer Seagull Ornithopters (4 min 18 sec)

Spencer Orniplane
World's First RC Ornithopter (2 min 54 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Dec 15, 2015, 10:50 PM
DIY Mania from Taiwan
nice vids,very educational
regards
Sam
Dec 17, 2015, 03:03 AM
Closed Account
I really enjoined the videos, thanks for sharing!
Dec 18, 2015, 12:48 AM
Insofar as the Spencer Orniplane was specifically designed so as not to shake the body up & down, I see it as no accident that the tail of his Seagull goes up & own in coo÷rdination with the wing, and I must therefore assume for the same reason. In my mind this has aerodynamic as well as mechanical energy optimizing advantages and is something I have often noted in living birds.

Clever guy! Thanks for posting
Dec 19, 2015, 11:00 AM
Hi Nathan,
These are the most detailed videos about Spencer's orni's
that I have ever seen.
Very interesting !
He was , indeed, a very clever man.

Did he ever work on a manned orni ?

Patricia
Dec 19, 2015, 11:54 AM
Thread OP
Hi Patricia. Spencer attempted to raise money to build a manned ornithopter, and the Orniplane was intended as a model of the proposed manned ornithopter. An independent study was done which concluded the design could be scaled up. As far as I know, he never started building the manned version.
Dec 20, 2015, 02:06 AM
great stuff thanks for sharing

Quick Reply