to remove ads between posts
Dec 26, 2015, 09:10 AM
Hot glue held together by foam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granted
Screw starter:
Good one !
Dec 26, 2015, 09:19 AM
Springer: it's a very fine thread on the shaft. About half as fine as a normal fine thread.
I used a couple of the round li-ion batts in those screw drivers and made an adapter to charge with my regular charger through the jack in the end of the batt. Shrink tube on it so as not to scratch the trans.

Tired of having your trans falling over in the grass??. Make one of these out of coat hangar wire. just slides onto the bottom of your trans.
Since then, I made a sheet metal one that screws to the bottom of the trans. Swings fore and aft to use and swings parallel to the bottom of the trans when not in use. I have no pics of that one, but if interested, will take some. I often wondered why the MFGs didn't do this

Gord

Gord.
Dec 26, 2015, 09:37 AM
serial scratchbuilder
DIY sockets:
Dec 26, 2015, 10:56 AM
I Look, Listen, and Learn
Gord you can also use one of those over the door towel/coat/purse hanger to keep it off the grass. Just slide the doorhook end into your belt or pocket and the hook side to hang your transmitter on. I don't like the strap around my neck so this is what I use when I need two hands free. Just don't go walking very fast or you'll hear that thud when it bounces off......don't ask.
Not at home so no pic right now.
I made a better one out of a piece of plexiglass....deeper and wider.... by heating and forming, solved the bouncing off problem, but lost it somewhere. Need to make another, I will post it when I get to it.
Dec 26, 2015, 01:06 PM
Good thread
Dec 26, 2015, 01:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly4fun28
Good thread
Yes, alot of people have shown me many cheap and good ideas over the past couple of years and I'm hoping some of these old and new ideas will help many others just starting to fly or those that haven't had a chance to see some of these.
Some good and usefull new ones that I haven't seen before have been posted here just recently that I need to remember for future use.

Another one that I just remembered from seeing awhile back. For those that like the bent flat aluminum type motor mounts is to buy a aluminum yard stick from harbor freight or northern, justcut to fit, drill your holes and bend . You don't even have to do any measuring....the lines are already on there. Just remember to use another yardstick to measure your wings or they might be a little short.
Dec 26, 2015, 05:24 PM
Retired CAD guy
Stock aluminum vs the cost of a BIG Ruler or Yard stick from aluminum are striking.

I look at the stock bins , get IRKED again, at the cost and then just go buy another Yard stick !

Creative use of non standard material is BIG part of the enjoyment of this hobby !
Dec 26, 2015, 05:41 PM
I have a power drill that always had poor NiCad batteries (cheap drill). Finally removed them and when needed a 2200mAh 3S battery fits into the battery holder at the bottom of the handle. Tons of power and long run time.
Dec 27, 2015, 07:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay
Stock aluminum vs the cost of a BIG Ruler or Yard stick from aluminum are striking.

I look at the stock bins , get IRKED again, at the cost and then just go buy another Yard stick !

Creative use of non standard material is BIG part of the enjoyment of this hobby !
I still feel a little guilty about cutting up a perfectly good yardstick tho.
Dec 27, 2015, 03:55 PM
Foam is where the heart is
My elcheapo screw starter using insulation tape. Just pull off the tape before seating the screw.

And my favorite foam shaping tools using 40mm wide emery cloth.
Both were quick prototypes however they work so well that I have never bothered improving on the design.
Dec 28, 2015, 06:31 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
For very strong Doublers over the foam , we use the thin chipboard that comes on cereal (other) boxes... A very economical replacement for plywood , probably about the same weight .. glues easily , and is easily paintable ... naturally ... Many a foamie' has had their nose reinforced with chipboard and survived an unusually long time ...
The Parkflyer Pete had them and is still around today , since 2002 ...
Dec 28, 2015, 07:28 AM
Having trouble with your micro plane flipping over on landing in the grass??
Try these 1/16 liteply wheels. The ones on the Revolution are 1 1/4 in. dia. with a plastic tube bushing hotglued in.
Here they are on the Beast.

Gord.
Dec 29, 2015, 06:46 AM
Forgot where I saw this one. Dollartree plastic bat for a cowl.
Dec 29, 2015, 07:24 AM
Or use the whole thing for a $1 bat fuse

To the bat plane Robin.......uhhh, Batman, did you lose your fortune?
Last edited by Timbo383; Dec 29, 2015 at 07:35 AM.