Sep 11, 2020, 10:43 PM
Ran out of carbon fiber for long pushrods?
Got any balsa sheet?

http://www.ofremmi.info/HowTo/BalsaP...d_from_bal.htm

"make a square tube of balsa-sheets
The main problem with the pushrod shown below, is that it's very low-tech: no carbon-fiber, no ball bearings, no pink aluminum parts.
"
to remove ads between posts
Sep 12, 2020, 02:48 PM
Youtube channel : solentlifeuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by perttime
Ran out of carbon fiber for long pushrods?
Got any balsa sheet?

http://www.ofremmi.info/HowTo/BalsaP...d_from_bal.htm

"make a square tube of balsa-sheets
The main problem with the pushrod shown below, is that it's very low-tech: no carbon-fiber, no ball bearings, no pink aluminum parts.
"

Before CF .... usual pushrods were square section balsa or as many people used : pine dowel ......

Its funny because at flying site with my trusty old Skymaster biplane with internal pushrods .... I've had other modellers want to look inside to see how I made the pushrods and fitted the wire ends. Seems with the change to rear mounted servos for most - traditional pushrods are a forgotten art.
Sep 12, 2020, 08:11 PM
looking up, down under
i went one better for my first ever successful r/c plane (drifter 2) and sanded 1/4" balsa stick to round
Sep 12, 2020, 08:53 PM
flyin' fool
Back in the day, balsa push rods saved servo gears. Then along came Nyrods and servo gear sales went through the roof.

Hummmm? I wonder.......................
Sep 12, 2020, 09:31 PM
I still use wooden dowels.
Sep 13, 2020, 12:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife
Before CF .... usual pushrods were square section balsa or as many people used : pine dowel ......

Its funny because at flying site with my trusty old Skymaster biplane with internal pushrods .... I've had other modellers want to look inside to see how I made the pushrods and fitted the wire ends. Seems with the change to rear mounted servos for most - traditional pushrods are a forgotten art.
On the linked page, the guy thought that 10mm square section was not rigid enough - and he got a much better result with the 8mm (internal) box section, with some 8mm pieces acting as formers.

He flies F3A aerobatics, so weight and rigidity are important. Also, he felt that using the same material as his fuselage is good, when there's variations in temperature and materials expand.

Quick Reply