Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jan 11, 2019, 06:05 AM
Youtube channel : solentlifeuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKChris
I'd like that to happen here, for both modellers and "makers" alike. Currently, if you go to one of the many large municipality recycling stations, and notice something potentially useful in one of the skips, you may potentially risk getting banned from the station and face charges for theft of government property

I have a hunch they are making more money of of "recycling" our trash than they'd like for us to know.......
When I lived in UK - I got really fed up with the Bin guys at the recycle site.

So many rules about what goes where ... fuel tanks OUT of fires and items (so what do you do with a Kersosine tank ?) .... they would not help or give advice - just moan !!
They would have many items they retrieved from the skips for sale on site ...

It became a 'business' for them and a total INconvenience for public to use.

Nigel
Latest blog entry: Difference of Forums
to remove ads between posts
Jan 11, 2019, 06:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermani
There is sooo much money in trash. It will make for a great investment for the coming years. The landfills of yesterday will be the treasure trove of tomorrow: they contain a lot of biomass, iron, some assorted rare metals and recyclable plastics.
On the South Coast of England ... Port Solent - a 'prestige' marina village is built on landfill. They have two items supplied as a result :

Geothermal heat from the ground and decaying trash.

Combustible gas from same trash which is collected and fed into the town system.

I've always thought it funny - that people pay high prices to live on top of **** !!

Nigel
Jan 11, 2019, 06:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare
Dunno... My City instituted a Recycling pgm years ago
Made everyone feel good.. it was designed to.

Brother in law is (was) director of the region wide program until last year.
He claims that the collected Recycled stuff gets sorted and most eventually finds it's way into the landfill..
a reality which No official Or politician will ever talk about.
There is Zero use for Glass .. it's into the landfill, albeit as small bits
Only a small market for garbage truck collected metals... storage issues outweigh it's sale values usually
Beer cans wel there is a deposit which the consumer pays.. but the metal is so alloyed it's of V low value
Plastics are Extremely difficult to sort. At best they get shredded, but mostly end up in the landfill

While paper does get recycled .. some. Laws require a % of recycled fiber in Newsprint. But then Newspapers aren't a growth industry either.

Green Washing is the term he referred to the charade as.
I have actually seen in UK ... the Recycle / dedicated item bins get emptied into the SAME truck !! Not only the big bins in Car parks ... but also the smaller bags etc. that householders were required to use !
My mother had her recycle Green bin refused to be emptied because it had wrong house number on it. My mother - a pensioner tried to explain to them - it WAS them that mixed the bins up ... in the end - she had to wheel that bin down the road to another house that had HER bin ... and swap them over.

Nigel
Jan 12, 2019, 10:39 AM
A Day @ a Time - Matt. 6:25-34

"Traction" for Fixing Problems

On one of my scratch builts, I really goofed with the wing panel. I had to cut out part of the top of the panel and reglue it to get the angle correct after botching an installation of an insert. The angle I needed to cut out increased from the area outside the nacelle to the tip.

I took some scrap baseboard and pvc to place under the trailing edge so I could get the angle right. I had to fasten down the front of the panel to the table so I used some plywood, drywall, and a cinder block cap to weigh down the panel. I also used one of those extender bars you put in a truck bed to hold cargo in place. I ran that from the top of the cap to the ceiling and extended it, it seemed to push down the panel very evenly with no give. Used some old t-shirts for protection and friction.

It came out ok, but some collateral damage at some glue joints I'll need to fix. The angle is exaggerated a bit so hopefully once glued it will spring back some.

I have some Foam Tac and epoxy, still pondering what adhesive to use in this situation. It is all foam. Suggestions very welcome, thanks.
Jan 12, 2019, 12:21 PM

Wheel on the cheap.

Cut a plug from balsa the dia. you want the wheel. Then cut two matching discs . I used a cool whip container top. Sandwich them together. Then harden the balsa with thin ca. The wheel in the picture a 3/4" dia. tail wheel I made.
Jan 12, 2019, 12:37 PM
Want a perfect circular motor mount ?

Get a Hole Saw ... the ones that have a central drill bit. Choose size to suit ... the drill bit gives you the hole for rear exit of shaft .. hole saw cuts a perfect round mount plate.

Nigel
Jan 12, 2019, 03:11 PM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife
Want a perfect circular motor mount ?

Get a Hole Saw ... the ones that have a central drill bit. Choose size to suit ... the drill bit gives you the hole for rear exit of shaft .. hole saw cuts a perfect round mount plate.

Nigel
Yes!
And to make it really neat, cut part way through and then flip it over and make the final cut from the other side.
Jan 12, 2019, 07:17 PM
looking up, down under
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruff1

I have some Foam Tac and epoxy, still pondering what adhesive to use in this situation. It is all foam. Suggestions very welcome, thanks.
better resolution (bigger, and taken closer) and i'd try to help

my eyesight can't even begin to understand the situation on what you've loaded
Jan 13, 2019, 09:12 AM
Scruffy1, probably should have posted a close in picture, I'll do that on this post. As mentioned previously, this is a situation involving all foam where I needed to cut out part of the top panel and reglue it to bring the trailing edge up to take out a warp in the panel. The gap increases as you go to the tip. The panel has a solid foam insert forward of the joint, and to the rear consists of ribs and covering all fan fold foam. Still may not give me the results I need but worth a shot.

The panel may want to return to the original position as I haven't put in any relief cuts, so I'm looking for the best adhesive to prevent the glue joint from separating. Another note is I do need to work on the lower seam as I noticed there was fracturing of the glue joint at places in the bottom joint. If it makes sense to cut a number of places underneath to alleviate the tendency to pull away I'm for that too (it may have already done that for me anyway). Taking the entire section completely off is a possibility, but I'm afraid I won't be able to sand it into alignment. I also have a servo in the way I'll have to deal with it if I remove the entire section (I better check it for operation now that most cutting has been done).

Thanks,
Kevin
Last edited by ruff1; Jan 13, 2019 at 09:18 AM.
Jan 13, 2019, 10:35 AM
I build with wood mostly, and have found the stirring sticks for paint make great servo mounts
Jan 13, 2019, 04:44 PM
looking up, down under
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruff1
Scruffy1, probably should have posted a close in picture, I'll do that on this post
Thanks,
Kevin
sorry, but i still can't see where you are trying to glue - old eyes, used to 1600x1200 minimum resolution

in any case, you could do worse than my "go to" mix of finishing epoxy and microballoons - wish i could be of more assistance, but that's all i can offer on the given detail

however, it works best in compression, rather than tension, where perhaps some very fine fibreglass might be your best reinforcement
Jan 13, 2019, 08:46 PM
Good point about glassing, I have a low spot on top where I could place a strip to hold it together.

Thanks for your feedback, cheers.

Kevin

Quick Reply