homemade ideas for cheap and/or free - Page 273 - RC Groups
Apr 16, 2018, 08:09 AM
I Look, Listen, and Learn
I just epoxy the smaller ring sizes in the props before hand and ream out the size I need to fit the shaft or prop saver as needed.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 16, 2018, 08:13 AM
Ready to fly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo383
I just epoxy the smaller ring sizes in the props before hand and ream out the size I need to fit the shaft or prop saver as needed.
Thanks
didn't try that yet
sounds like a good idea
Apr 16, 2018, 08:35 AM
I get really, really because I just seem to spend half of my valuable 'man time' trying to match adaptor rings to props that fit a prop adapter with the correct bore!!!!

Then throw the hexagonal GWS ones in and you have a real disaster. Unfortunately I only have one tapered adapter similar to what Nigel uses so for the rest I am scratting around!! Ring that fit the prop won@t fit the adapter or visa versa, really annoys me, anyway, hummmmmmmm, be calm, hummmmmmmmm.

Probably not much help but I did these :- https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2382421 to solve that particular problem (Banggood 'GWS style' DD 8 X 4 on a SunnySky adaptor for my RC Factory Fokker).

Since then I have done a few more to match various sizes and just print several spare, probably no use because if you had a printer you would have done this and if you don't you can't anyway (unless you know someone)........

Paul
Apr 16, 2018, 08:55 AM
flyin' fool
Mounting props without all the tears .................

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=3230

Also, invest in an 8mm drill bit and a small stepped reamer. (banggood)
Apr 16, 2018, 08:56 AM
Ready to fly
I hear you..
You would have thought that this things should be universal in size but noooo
Apr 16, 2018, 09:03 AM
looking up, down under
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronen70
I hear you..
hahahaha

don't bother looking at 1s battery connectors, or worse, any micro plugs
Apr 16, 2018, 10:25 AM
Too old to rock-n-roll...
Quote:
I hear you..
But they are standardized. The wonderful thing about standards is there are so many to choose from.
Apr 16, 2018, 10:32 AM
Ready to fly
Lol
Apr 16, 2018, 10:55 AM
Youtube channel : solentlifeuk
Get a decent Carpenters Tapered Reamer ...........

Cutting edge is hardest you'll find and not soft like the hobby ones.

Tapered - so it is universal size ... even caters for those unusual shafts !

About $5 on ebay ...

Nigel
Apr 16, 2018, 11:03 AM
Reap the wild wind
The O rings mentioned are still on the slow boat. Figured that my post would generate plenty of responses and I wasn't disappointed
Apr 16, 2018, 12:32 PM
Jack
Quote:
Talking about prop savers, The blue Thera-band is really great..
however, I still have a problem with the prop hub hole being larger than the prop saver's diameter.

anyone found a solution for this yet?
I have tried a hot glue bulb in the prop hole , also tried aluminum foil but non of them are precise enough. if the prop does not seat perfectly on the prop saver the performance are really bad.

every prop brand I have ordered seems to have a larger hole the the prop saver mount
I use these Maxx Products tapered cone style prop savers and when I fit APC props I use an adapter ring choosing a size that puts the prop on the lower part of the taper. All the other props I use (GWS, Master Airscrew, Great Planes, etc.) fit on the taper and need no fillers or drilling out or anything.

I buy the 3mm and 4mm adapters mostly and have been know to drill one out to fit a larger shaft if I did not have the right size on hand. I always cut the threaded portion of prop shafts off it there is one there and will even replace shafts to get rid of the threads.

Jack
Apr 16, 2018, 03:24 PM
Danish? Don't U eat that??
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulB
Then throw the hexagonal GWS ones in and you have a real disaster.
Just an info: The intention with the GWS style props originally was to make them easy to mount on either the original GWS geared brushed drive lines or the early Tower pro etc. "bell" style brushless motors, that both had M3 thread on the output axle, with the corrosponding 5.5mm nut size fitting perfectly in the hexagon cutout. Not many people use these any more though.

People just figured out other ways to use the cheap and easy to find GWS props, and since noone asked them to, I guess GWS didn't find a reason to change their product. They did and still do sell well, so logically other chinese people copied the design, hence there's a bunch of props out there with hexagonal center holes. As long as we keep buying them without complaining, they'll keep selling them. Simple as that.
Last edited by DKChris; Apr 16, 2018 at 03:58 PM.
Apr 16, 2018, 04:34 PM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Wow! This is a whole world of pain that I have managed to avoid.
I just bolted the props on the same way I was used to with IC engines and everything has been easy.
Props usually last for years...
Apr 16, 2018, 07:09 PM
looking up, down under
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooJung2Die
But they are standardized. The wonderful thing about standards is there are so many to choose from.
seen recently
Apr 16, 2018, 07:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskers
Wow! This is a whole world of pain that I have managed to avoid.
I just bolted the props on the same way I was used to with IC engines and everything has been easy.
Props usually last for years...
I feel like you Wiskers and trying to figure out what the heck are theses guys hitting with their planes/ props . I still have props from the 70s that company’s are no longer in business. Lol joe

Quick Reply