Mar 13, 2018, 03:32 PM
Guys,
let's not go down that road here , please.
Opinions, we all have them, right, wrong, whatever, it is what it is and a thread can very quickly get bogged down with that (pointless) discussion...

I have a REAL problem, I keep seeing used Q Tips (that is a brand name, don't know what you really call them, cotton wool buds????) in the bathroom bin.

MUST be a use for that miles and miles of soft plastic tube, surely.... Just have to figure out what......

Paul
to remove ads between posts
Mar 13, 2018, 04:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife
That's fine ... but we cannot ignore that many are in this hobby because of the online people such as Hobby King ....

Nigel
It’s nice to keep my local hobby shop around if I want to look inside a airplane box before buying it . I need a couple sheets of balsa they stock them plus light plywood and carbon fiber . Or I could Order it from China . Lol How you been Nigel I have been hanging around here and haven’t been on Wattflyers as Roadking97. Joe
Last edited by cracksmeup; Mar 13, 2018 at 04:25 PM.
Mar 13, 2018, 04:18 PM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksmeup
I would rather give my local hobby shop a couple dollars than buy anything from Hobby King , itís the retired union carpenter in me . Lol joe
When I was returning to the hobby I went to he local hobby shop and the helpful (?) guy there gave me advice on what I would need and the prices.
I walked out of the shop thinking, "I can't afford this."
Then I discovered Hobby King and realised that I could easily afford it. Worked for me...
Mar 13, 2018, 04:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskers
When I was returning to the hobby I went to he local hobby shop and the helpful (?) guy there gave me advice on what I would need and the prices.
I walked out of the shop thinking, "I can't afford this."
Then I discovered Hobby King and realised that I could easily afford it. Worked for me...
Should have worked harder when you were younger 😁
Mar 13, 2018, 05:40 PM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Perhaps it was more a matter of not wanting to spend that much on toy aeroplanes.
Anyway, why spend over $300 on a battery charger when you can do the job for $30 or less.
That's just stoopid
Mar 13, 2018, 06:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskers
Perhaps it was more a matter of not wanting to spend that much on toy aeroplanes.
Anyway, why spend over $300 on a battery charger when you can do the job for $30 or less.
That's just stoopid
Stick with the 300 dollar one I do .
Mar 13, 2018, 06:06 PM
As one of my idols, Red Green says, "You can't stay young but you can stay immature". I guess it is the little kid that lives a tad too close to my surface (71 years young, but still very immature) but ...

I patronize my great local hobby shop for most things, as they have supported me and my club very well over a lot of years. However, there are times when it makes sense to order online; sometimes, I want or need something that the hobby shop just cannot obtain, even though I usually try there first. But, my inner kid really, really enjoys the process of ordering up something and then eagerly awaiting it to come to my mailbox. I just can't help it. I bet there are some other old codgers (and young 'uns, too), that feel the same way. Just admit it! And enjoy it!

Life is short and, remember, "No one gets out of here alive." - Jimmy Morrison
Mar 13, 2018, 06:15 PM
serial scratchbuilder
I tried to support my LHS but every inquiry about supplies was met with "we can order that in for ya!". Yep, so can I at a fraction of the price. Granted some of these were pretty exotic requests, one was a covering iron.
Mar 13, 2018, 06:30 PM
I Look, Listen, and Learn
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulB
Guys,
Opinions, we all have them, right, wrong, whatever, it is what it is and a thread can very quickly get bogged down with that (pointless) discussion...
Paul
Guess they didn't see your post, paul.
Mar 13, 2018, 07:35 PM
I buy a lot of motors charging stuff, lipos from heads up rc in Florida . I scratch build 90 percent of my Airplanes going on 40 years including my Ivanís plan built 100 inch wingspan four motor Short Solent seaplane I built 5 years ago . So to me Hobby King is useless to me and many old time builders just like me . I have over 9000 free airplane PDFs to choose from and wonít get to them all before I take that long dirt nap but I will give it a shot . Lol just retired last year after50 years in the construction field and time to fly and build now 😁 joe
Mar 13, 2018, 08:56 PM
Too old to rock-n-roll...
Quote:
Guys,

I have a REAL problem, I keep seeing used Q Tips (that is a brand name, don't know what you really call them, cotton wool buds????) in the bathroom bin.

MUST be a use for that miles and miles of soft plastic tube, surely.... Just have to figure out what......

Paul
Q-tip tubes make good guides for push rods. Cut off the cotton bud and use them for mixing small batches of epoxy. The cotton tips make decent touch up paint brushes. I keep a box of them near the workbench. Fortunately they are so cheap I don't have to resort to rescuing them from the bathroom waste.
Mar 14, 2018, 04:21 AM
Youtube channel : solentlifeuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksmeup
It’s nice to keep my local hobby shop around if I want to look inside a airplane box before buying it . I need a couple sheets of balsa they stock them plus light plywood and carbon fiber . Or I could Order it from China . Lol How you been Nigel I have been hanging around here and haven’t been on Wattflyers as Roadking97. Joe
Our LHS ---- if you call a 3hr drive to and 3hr back local ... closed down !

Me .. fine - just about to leave house on a 2 week business trip through N.Europe ... Middle East and then home.

Nigel
Latest blog entry: Why the weather ?
Mar 14, 2018, 06:55 AM
Ready to fly
Quote:
Guys,

Paul
There is a post on this thread of that guy who use this tubes to make ca glue tips.
You heat the tube with a lighter and quickly streach it by pulling apart both sides with the cotton.
Then you cut the tube in the middle and you have a ca tip.
You can attach it to the bottle with silicone feul tube
I did this myself it works great. You save a lot of ca that way not to mention a cleaner job.
Mar 14, 2018, 07:57 AM
I Look, Listen, and Learn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronen70
There is a post on this thread of that guy who use this tubes to make ca glue tips.
You heat the tube with a lighter and quickly streach it by pulling apart both sides with the cotton.
Then you cut the tube in the middle and you have a ca tip.
You can attach it to the bottle with silicone feul tube
I did this myself it works great. You save a lot of ca that way not to mention a cleaner job.
And you can get into those harder to reach areas to reattach parts that have broken or come loose without tearing up more of the plane to get to with the longer skinnier tube.
Mar 14, 2018, 08:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerslayer
As one of my idols, Red Green says, "You can't stay young but you can stay immature". I guess it is the little kid that lives a tad too close to my surface (71 years young, but still very immature) but ...

I patronize my great local hobby shop for most things, as they have supported me and my club very well over a lot of years. However, there are times when it makes sense to order online; sometimes, I want or need something that the hobby shop just cannot obtain, even though I usually try there first. But, my inner kid really, really enjoys the process of ordering up something and then eagerly awaiting it to come to my mailbox. I just can't help it. I bet there are some other old codgers (and young 'uns, too), that feel the same way. Just admit it! And enjoy it!

Life is short and, remember, "No one gets out of here alive." - Jimmy Morrison
I agree, I like the hobby shops in our area, but I don't buy everything there, he doesn't have it or won't stock it , besides I build most of my stuff from scratch and have a mini hobby shop of supplies I've picked up over the years, not to mention some of the prices are too much for me,
On the other hand, I got tired of parts for my truck going bad before the warrenty ranout, 5 starters that didn' last a year, 3 lift pumps, 2 of them were over 300, I went to rock auto online for the water pump and a few other parts like the prices and the stuff seems to be working good

Quick Reply