homemade ideas for cheap and/or free - Page 253 - RC Groups
Feb 12, 2018, 01:09 PM
Youtube channel : solentlifeuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by headlessagain
I'd put a spacer the bottom of the vertical support so that the plastic pipes are angled up a little. Maybe a wooden batten with just the T pieces screwed onto it at intervals. My plastic pipe car rack does bend a little especially with fully ballasted flying wings on top
Andy
Did cross my mind ... thanks

Nigel
to remove ads between posts
Feb 12, 2018, 02:52 PM
I Look, Listen, and Learn
When I ran out of wall space I started hanging my planes from the ceiling with old shopping cart toddler straps. Wide enough not to dig into the foam and one easy snap click to put it up.
Feb 12, 2018, 03:46 PM
serial scratchbuilder
I take $tore hooks and bend them into "2", then use the result to prop-hang.
Feb 12, 2018, 05:10 PM
Reap the wild wind
I use small lengths of strapping tape, the type used to secure cardboard boxes. Tie into a circle,loop around the prop or tail and hang up on a hook or rail
Andy
Feb 13, 2018, 02:19 AM
At present in my old small model room .... thin lines in loops hanging from ceiling .... tail wheel or prop into it....

Nigel
Feb 13, 2018, 02:22 AM
Registered Abuser
I haven't used it, but I know some guys use ribbon (like for wrapping presents) to hang their planes. They will make a loop and tie the ends to a keyring. Then they just slide the loops over the plane and hang the keyring from a hook.
Feb 13, 2018, 04:05 AM
Hoops an' loops.......

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=1402
Feb 13, 2018, 12:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulB
Uggg.
You look like a lot of fun to fly with. I especially like the flying man and the smiley face nutball.
Feb 13, 2018, 01:10 PM
I always get nervous bringing my main home laptop out to the fly field for tuning my flight controllers. So I went by the pawnshop and picked up a Windows 7 laptop for $80 with tax and a neoprene travel case. Good deals can be found anywhere!
Feb 14, 2018, 07:49 AM
The Nutball fell victim to my latest stupid idea.......

Control Line Nutball (3 min 6 sec)
Feb 14, 2018, 07:59 AM
That reminds me.

Ideas for cheap, free......

Want to try Control Line flying 'on the cheap'??? Any old model that you are not afraid to loose. Cheap (steal from the kids if you have any) car transmitter and some fishing shop Spider Wire.

Great fun and a lot cheaper than buying one of the custom made timers (electric) or a launching stooge (wet fuel).
Feb 14, 2018, 09:12 AM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Good Grief!
Way back in the dim dark past I flew CL because RC was not yet a thing,
But I always daydreamed about how wonderful RC would be, relative to the restrictions imposed by CL.
Now, it's a bit like choosing to listen to your music on an old Edison cylinder machine.
Feb 14, 2018, 09:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskers
Good Grief!
Way back in the dim dark past I flew CL because RC was not yet a thing,
But I always daydreamed about how wonderful RC would be, relative to the restrictions imposed by CL.
Now, it's a bit like choosing to listen to your music on an old Edison cylinder machine.
I too started on C/L ... but when my brothers left home - I had no 'partner' to launch .... so got hooked by very early RC ...

One of the guys I used to fly with here - was C/L champ in Russia years ago ... which got me thinking about a semi RC model on C/L .... basically as guy above achieved .... RoG etc.

Nigel
Feb 14, 2018, 09:55 AM
flyin' fool
We flew control line combat with 15 sized diesel powered 'one 'design' wings on 50' lines as late as 15 years ago. It was the influence of modelers who moved here from Britain.......... called 'modellers'.

The RC pilots could outfly the UC boys at their own game every time. So, they lost interest and it died. Was great fun while it lasted though.
Feb 14, 2018, 10:22 AM
I had 3 C/L models .....

P63 Kingcobra with WenMac 049 .... also had sprung loaded firing rockets by 3rd line ! Engine had a recoil spring starter to it !! The plane was said to be : Aluminised Plastic ....
What that meant was it was white plastic with aluminium paint on ... !

Blimey - just found one !! Missing front wheel etc. but yes it is !!

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...hter-483188043

Other was a Veron Radian stunt machine - coupled flaps and elevators

Third was an unnamed model given to use - believe it was another Veron kit.

We used to fly on the front lawn of our house ... yes it was a large lawn !!

Nigel
Last edited by solentlife; Feb 14, 2018 at 10:28 AM.

Quick Reply