homemade ideas for cheap and/or free - Page 239 - RC Groups
Jan 12, 2018, 08:31 PM
looking up, down under
my favourites of late are :
  • hobbyking foam cure
  • multihesive
  • old school pva (but multihesive beats it in spades on slick surfaces, and for all porous stuff as well)
  • finish cure slow set epoxy (light as, when mixed with micro balloons)
maybe i'm strange, but cyanoacrylate and hot glue seem to have very niche uses in my style of construction

i don't like how brittle c.a. makes joins, and the fumes are hideous

my application of hot glue is so clumsy as to render it not worth persisting; and yes, i have 3 different guns and find them all equally useless (must be me)

unlike soldering, which i quickly mastered, glue guns are just frustrating, and it weighs more than the alternatives
to remove ads between posts
Jan 13, 2018, 03:49 AM
Youtube channel : solentlifeuk
One factor that I note ... use of a type of glue to match a job has become a thing of the past. With the modern glues now - people just want speed of joint.

Building styles have changed as well of course - use of foams etc.

I can remember slab balsa sides with doublers ... doublers fixed with Impact Adhesive ... which never set hard and allowed the item to bend take shape required. If that was today - it would likely be rock hard epoxy or some other non-flex quick set.

Nigel
Latest blog entry: The egotistic nature of some !
Jan 13, 2018, 05:00 AM
I Look, Listen, and Learn
[QUOTE=Whiskers;38976427Water based Polyurethane varnish is a good adhesive for foam.[/QUOTE]

I never thought about using WBPU as a glue but it makes sense. Good one Wiskers.
Jan 13, 2018, 05:49 AM
looking up, down under
i took to using wbpu as a dope substitute for solid balsa - you can spray it on really lightly, and sand between coats - for a very light waterproof finish
Jan 13, 2018, 06:07 AM
My Badius F3A is covered in nylon 'silk' ... applied using 50/50 water PVA mix ...

Here was as I first had her in film cover over the foam ...

Then I stripped it off ..

Prepared her for covering..

and this is final using spray paints onto the sealed nylon ...

Nigel
Jan 13, 2018, 06:09 AM
Oh ... nearly forgot .... at same time - I added trike U/C instead of the tail dragger she used to have. The trike gear being the $6 set from Hobby King for the EDF Stinger ... incl's steering servo.

Nigel
Jan 13, 2018, 07:12 AM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo383
I never thought about using WBPU as a glue but it makes sense. Good one Whiskers.
I first realised what a great glue it is when I found the durn stuff had really, really stuck its lid to the tin.
Something that sticks metal to metal as strongly as that is Good Glue.
Jan 13, 2018, 07:19 AM
looking up, down under
Capital Idea
Jan 13, 2018, 10:16 AM
I meant to do that. Honest!
I will have to try that WBPU idea but I've been very happy with the Loctite spray adhesive for laminating foam. Can you use the WBPU for laminating or just for joints? It seems to me that it would be very slow to cure between laminated sheets.
Jan 13, 2018, 10:18 AM
The nylon 'silk' is the finest plain net curtain material from local shop. You have to be careful - a finger nail can pull the threads !

But once 'painted' on with PVA- it creates a shell ....

My 93" Lancaster will be covered with it to give it the WW2 matt surface ready for the matt spray paint ... which is common wall semi-matt emulsion ... being electric - no need for proofing.

Nigel
Jan 13, 2018, 10:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPotts
I will have to try that WBPU idea but I've been very happy with the Loctite spray adhesive for laminating foam. Can you use the WBPU for laminating or just for joints? It seems to me that it would be very slow to cure between laminated sheets.
I have a method of producing extreme stiff foam laminated wings etc.

Get the laminating Epoxy resin .. its very thin and can be painted on.

Cut out your sheets as required ... apply thin film of epoxy to one sheet completely covering the area. Lay carefully the second sheet on top. Weight it down flat so it does not curve or distort. The film gives an incredible resistance to flex.

If you want extra strength - lay thin threads on the epoxy in rows ... thread that absorbs resin .... but thin so it doesn't increase thickness of final laminate unduly. Carpet or sail thread - but it must be UNWAXED ...
Place second sheet on and weight down as before.

Nigel
Jan 13, 2018, 10:43 AM
I Look, Listen, and Learn
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPotts
Over the past couple of years I have tried different types of paints and glues in search of a cheaper way to laminate two sheets of foam together and just about all the ones that need to air dry takes over a week to cure between the foam. I pretty much just stick to using GG now due to being able to apply and spread an even amount on large patches of foam without worrying about overspray from an aerosol can mess.
Jan 13, 2018, 10:56 AM
Because of the title ... Gorilla Glue is a Brand Name for :

Polyurethane Glue ... or commonly termed Woodworkers PU Glue.

Our local store sells it in BIG containers at less than half the price of the GG small bottle ...

Only difference is I cannot find a generic White version as GG do for indoor stuff. The PU Max shown here is waterproof once set and can be used for boats etc.

If I want superlight joint and can let it foam out from joint (pressed / clamped of course) - I am generous with the water spray. If I don't need lightness but want strongest joint without foaming - then don't spray water ... just let the air do it.

Nigel
Jan 13, 2018, 01:14 PM
I meant to do that. Honest!
I've had excellent results laminating with Loctite spray adhesive. The bond is considerably stronger than the Duro stuff but it is more expensive so I use Duro for prepping the foam surface for tape application (as Jack has recommended) and for bonds that don't need to be very strong. I use Loctite for everything else. My can of Duro is @ 8 years old though and that may have something to do with the weaker bond strength.
Jan 13, 2018, 01:29 PM
The Junk Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by scruffy1
i hate hot glue

but that's just me
Nope, not just you. Extremely heavy.

The only thing I use it for is small dabs to mount servos, receivers, etc. Small dabs. Very small dabs. The reason being it is so easy to remove with denatured alcohol without damaging any electronic equipment that may get splashed.

Tom

Quick Reply