homemade ideas for cheap and/or free - Page 215 - RC Groups
Oct 07, 2017, 10:58 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Years ago when my oldest son was young .... I used to make things for him.

Such as a big toy-box that looked like a country cottage ... but the memory that was prompted by Timbo's Dry Erase Board ... was the big blackboard I made for him.

Plain plywood sanded smooth ......... then painted with fine matt black paint. Originally I used Blackboard Paint ... but found that fine matt gave same results.

Nigel
to remove ads between posts
Oct 07, 2017, 05:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife
An old trick is to use a plastic cap from a bottle / spray etc.

If its a wing fitting ... cut slots so it fits over wing edge ...

If its to nose or flat area - you cut away leaving 2 or more equi spaced legs to glue INTO the face of the firewall ...

The flat face of the cap is usually thick and resilient enough to take motors up to moderate size.

Nigel
Thats brilliant, im actually making a wing ( the simplest pizza box from carbdoard) which this would be perfect for.

the mini arrow is a little more compelx so wouldnt work, it needs an actual firewall if your fitting the mtoor to the swappable power pod
Oct 08, 2017, 11:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by graywoulf
I only use the 3M 77 spray adhesive when I want to join two full sheets of DT foam together or for other large areas that need to be joined. It does not take much and it never comes apart.
My 3m77 has been delaminating. Walmart had Gorilla spray glue I am going to try.
Oct 09, 2017, 12:09 AM
It seemed like a good idea!!!!
I had to disassemble a fuselage pod from a wing and thanks to this thread remembered that people had said to use denatured alcohol.

A few squirts of isopropyl later and job done, came right apart with almost no effort at all and nice and clean.

So thanks for the tip gentlemen, I hope one day to be able to reciprocate with an amazing idea (but don't hold your breath ).
Oct 09, 2017, 01:04 AM
Older I get, the better I was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boa2110
My 3m77 has been delaminating. Walmart had Gorilla spray glue I am going to try.
None of my scratch built foamies ever lasted long enough for the 3M 77 to come apart so I never had that happen.
Oct 09, 2017, 01:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by graywoulf
None of my scratch built foamies ever lasted long enough for the 3M 77 to come apart so I never had that happen.
I have been using 5 min epoxy where my ailerons are delaminating.
Oct 09, 2017, 01:31 AM
That looks like a good place for some foam safe CA. I need to get some more of it now that I think about it.
Oct 09, 2017, 03:19 AM
Reap the wild wind
It's an old tip from the SPAD forums for using plastic kitchen chopping boards for motor mounts. My wife was throwing out some old ones so one found it's way into my materials supply store. Free so that qualifies for this forum.
It's 7mm thick so beefy enough to support more powerful motors especially if you drill and peg on all four sides
Oct 09, 2017, 06:39 AM
A Day @ a Time - Matt. 6:25-34
I have some 5 mm hard plastic sheets that came in some shipping boxes. I think ye old Dremel tool can be used to cut out motor mounts and other hard points. I will post a pic if I end up using them.
Oct 09, 2017, 08:01 AM
Out Standing In The Field
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookit
I had to disassemble a fuselage pod from a wing and thanks to this thread remembered that people had said to use denatured alcohol.

A few squirts of isopropyl later and job done, came right apart with almost no effort at all and nice and clean.

So thanks for the tip gentlemen, I hope one day to be able to reciprocate with an amazing idea (but don't hold your breath ).
You probably have a dozen of them, but think that everyone else already knows them.

I use the alcohol removal tip when I'm building, too. It helps me choose which glue to use based on how likely I am to need to remove something vs. the need for maximum strength.
Oct 12, 2017, 03:01 PM
I meant to do that. Honest!
My wife has been busy with an art project and yesterday she came home from Wal Mart with a can of Minwax Polycrylic clear gloss. It is a water based spray finish that is probably polyurethane in nature. I immediately grabbed the can and tested it on some scraps of FFF. I sprayed one in several light coats, one in one heavy coat, one with the can held @ 20" away, and one with the can very close to the foam. It didn't attack the foam on any of the scraps and dried smooth and clear very quickly. After @ 45 min. I tried spraying over them with some yellow spray paint that I know attacks foam worse than some others I've tried. It went on smoothly in light coats and in medium coats and did not penetrate the Polycrylic or attack the foam beneath.

I've tried the Krylon Craft Foam Primer and was not impressed when this same yellow spray paint penetrated it and attacked the foam beneath. It is also quite heavy and doesn't go very far coverage wise. It does work well with some spray paints as long as they are applied in very light coats though. Anyway, I'm switching to the Polycrylic.
Oct 12, 2017, 03:24 PM
Thanks for the heads up on that James. I will certainly give it a try.
Oct 12, 2017, 09:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPotts
My wife has been busy with an art project and yesterday she came home from Wal Mart with a can of Minwax Polycrylic clear gloss. It is a water based spray finish that is probably polyurethane in nature. I immediately grabbed the can and tested it on some scraps of FFF. I sprayed one in several light coats, one in one heavy coat, one with the can held @ 20" away, and one with the can very close to the foam. It didn't attack the foam on any of the scraps and dried smooth and clear very quickly. After @ 45 min. I tried spraying over them with some yellow spray paint that I know attacks foam worse than some others I've tried. It went on smoothly in light coats and in medium coats and did not penetrate the Polycrylic or attack the foam beneath.

I've tried the Krylon Craft Foam Primer and was not impressed when this same yellow spray paint penetrated it and attacked the foam beneath. It is also quite heavy and doesn't go very far coverage wise. It does work well with some spray paints as long as they are applied in very light coats though. Anyway, I'm switching to the Polycrylic.
Yes I've used the water base poly for many projects. It won't eat foam and will protect it from paint. It also comes in a can so it can be painted on with a brush. Just be sure you don't buy the yellow can. It is not water based and will eat foam.
Oct 13, 2017, 02:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo383
A page or two back when we were talking about prop holders, I thought about this idea. Cost is a dollar and some time.
Thanks for the idea....here is my correx version from a re-purposed lamp post advert. Cost was zero dollars and very little time
Oct 13, 2017, 04:51 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
In times of no plywood , we’ve used bits of cardboard , not the corrugated kind but the thin kind you find on the back or writing tablets … Saturated with a little super glue , it does the same thing as ply and can be drilled and screwed..