homemade ideas for cheap and/or free - Page 207 - RC Groups
Sep 13, 2017, 02:15 PM
I Look, Listen, and Learn
Quote:
Originally Posted by graywoulf
The soap is added make the surface a bit more slippery so as to aid in positioning the vinyl.
Same thing Nigel
Last edited by Timbo383; Sep 13, 2017 at 02:26 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 13, 2017, 04:53 PM
Just another 62 year old kid!
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife
I was told the dishwashing liquid was to break the surface tension of the water.Nigel
That's only if you are drowning fleas.
Sep 14, 2017, 06:35 PM
I meant to do that. Honest!
Reading these recent posts about using soapy water for vinyl lettering and trim got me to wondering if the same method would work with colored tape. I dislike using tape to cover foam because if you aren't VERY careful it tends to get bubbles and wrinkles. I have used window cleaner with ammonia to apply Monokote trim pieces for decades and that works very well for bubble free trim. On a whim I sprayed a piece of FFF lightly with Duro spray adhesive as Jack has suggested many times and let it cure then I sprayed it with the window cleaner, applied pink tape, and squeegeed out the bubbles. I set it in the sun for a few hours and had a look. There were no wrinkles or bubbles and the adhesion is as good as usual.

It certainly makes it easier to apply tape without the frustration of trying to avoid wrinkles.

I haven't tried the soapy water yet.
Sep 14, 2017, 08:19 PM
flyin' fool
Vinyl will let gases and moisture permeate thought to the surface. Tape? Not sure. Don't think so.

What ever you use, make sure it's UV protected.
Sep 14, 2017, 08:24 PM
Apparently tape is also porous enough. This tape is well adhered to the FFF surface. I don't know about the UV protection, it's just some cheap colored tape I got in an assortment from eBay.
Sep 14, 2017, 09:13 PM
flyin' fool
Here in Canada we have absolutely the very best and most sticky tape in the world. No prep needed with EPP or any foams. Better than lam film or any other tape on the market, UV protected, applies faster in less time and a warm iron takes out any unwanted wrinkles.

We've tested it against every covering method for foam know to man.
Sep 14, 2017, 09:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy
Here in Canada we have absolutely the very best and most sticky tape in the world. No prep needed with EPP or any foams. Better than lam film or any other tape on the market, UV protected, applies faster in less time and a warm iron takes out any unwanted wrinkles. We've tested it against every covering method for foam know to man.
So. when are you going to send us some?
Sep 14, 2017, 09:35 PM
Build straight - Fly twisty
In Canada you mend fences with tape?
It needs to be good...
Sep 15, 2017, 09:38 AM
The point is that the method also works with tape, at least with the tape I happen to have on hand. I suppose it will work with other tapes, including Tuck tape, just as well. This makes it much easier to apply without frustration.
Sep 15, 2017, 09:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskers
In Canada you mend fences with tape? It needs to be good...
Now I want some. But really, I looked this tape up and it seems that this stuff is in a class all its own. I found "Sheathing" tape which has similar qualities but it seems that it only comes in a red color. As I am building "foamies" anyway, I really do not need tape of this caliber for those but still I am impressed with the Tuck Tape's reputation and slightly jealous that I can't buy it in the states.
Sep 15, 2017, 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by graywoulf
Now I want some. But really, I looked this tape up and it seems that this stuff is in a class all its own. I found "Sheathing" tape which has similar qualities but it seems that it only comes in a red color. As I am building "foamies" anyway, I really do not need tape of this caliber for those but still I am impressed with the Tuck Tape's reputation and slightly jealous that I can't buy it in the states.
I was curious too, so I had looked it up and came across this;

http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/...n-tuck-tape-us
Sep 15, 2017, 10:44 AM
flyin' fool
Tape talk.................

made here ........................ http://www.cantech.com/product/63

I buy it from ................. http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/tu...-0676010p.html
Sep 15, 2017, 11:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert4613
I was curious too, so I had looked it up and came across this;

http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/...n-tuck-tape-us
Same brand but different type of tape. The Tuck Tape in question here is apparently not a sheathing tape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy
Tape talk.................

made here ........................ http://www.cantech.com/product/63

I buy it from ................. http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/tu...-0676010p.html
I saw the Canadian Tire website but I could not determine if I could order it from them or not.

Thanks to both of you for posting the links though and for bringing this tape to our attention. It sounds like a really good product.
Sep 16, 2017, 09:03 AM
A Day @ a Time - Matt. 6:25-34

Reusing Power Connector

I have a 12 V DC 5 A power supply I needed to connect to my new Revo GT500 charger. It isn't a big power supply, but is plenty adequate for the batteries I use right now. I didn't want to cut off the banana power plug as I use it for other stuff, so I grabbed an old SOHO router I had stored in my closet and desoldered the receptacle. Made an adapter cable to convert to EC5 male, which is the input connector.

The key to getting the receptacle removed from the circuit board was taking my time and using a 40 watt soldering iron.

As a side note, this is a great charger! I can now storage charge, cycle, and check internal resistance. I found one of my 1500 mah 3S batteries was shot; huge internal resistance, fluctuating wildly between full and 50 %. Now I'll be able to take much better care of my batteries.
Sep 16, 2017, 10:02 AM
Hey ruff1, now that is repurposing at it's finest! Nice work.