Dec 16, 2015, 03:42 PM
I Look, Listen, and Learn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac50L
I've given up on them as they are too brittle and I've had a number of them snap. I've gone to using credit cards as they can flex but are stiff enough for the job. Note the slice of bamboo through to spread the side load. They also have 1 mm holes in the tag that goes through the surface (rudder, aileron, elevator) to let glue get a grip on the horn.

Credit cards can be cut with scissors while the CD needed the Dremel and a small hacksaw.
Wow, those look better than store bought ones.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 16, 2015, 04:34 PM
Andrew Radcliffe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo383
Wow, those look better than store bought ones.
Fiberglass circuit boards also make great "high end" control horns. Find a good one (some are Bakelite and are brittle, others are too thin) with the right thickness, cut it out, drill it, and sand off any offending copper paths.
Dec 16, 2015, 04:36 PM
Andrew Radcliffe
Fiberglass drywall tape makes excellent reinforcement for thin foam stress points. Just stick it and rub a bit of glue.
Dec 16, 2015, 04:37 PM
Andrew Radcliffe
Packing tape makes excellent foam hinges.
Dec 16, 2015, 07:08 PM
Hot glue held together by foam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo383
Control horns from cds, that a new one for me......cut with a Dremel cutoff wheel?
Dremel or just scissors . The thin plastic film coating will come off , but I've never had one fail from being brittle .
Dec 16, 2015, 08:51 PM
I got tired of digging thru the drawer for the smaller, leftover size of piano wire or cf rod for small projects. Wood base with replaceable foam.....had it organized with tall in the back to short up front, but that only lasted a week or so.
Dec 16, 2015, 09:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Radcliffe
Packing tape makes excellent foam hinges.
I've tried the hot glue hinges, the floppy disc hinges, even the store bought fiber ca hinge. But for simple and easy, the packing tape hinge is the way to go......plus I get my packing tape for free.....don't tell my boss
Dec 16, 2015, 09:17 PM
Plastic tubes, shave cream caps, pill bottles, etc. make good hole cutters. Just file and sand the edges sharp, and twist and turn them into the foam till the hole is made.
Dec 16, 2015, 09:38 PM
Fiberglass drywall tape also makes great hinges just run an iron over it no glue needed
Last edited by wwmoggy; Dec 17, 2015 at 03:15 AM.
Dec 17, 2015, 01:25 AM
serial scratchbuilder
Bread-bag clips work great for control horns and guides and wood scraps can be handy too.
Dec 17, 2015, 07:24 AM
Japanese bamboo blinds make vey good small pushrods among other things. A lifetime supply from a 4 by 4 ft. blind. They are a little over 2 mm or 3/32 in.
These veneer strips and sheet from Home Depot have glue already on one side and need only be ironed onto foam for strength/ bracing.

Gord.
Dec 17, 2015, 08:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granted
Bread-bag clips work great for control horns and guides and wood scraps can be handy too.
I like the bread clip idea, but the wood and magnets have me a little lost.??
Dec 17, 2015, 08:50 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
for easy and superlight control surface activation , we use Pull-pull cables (string) and no need for control horns , just a short piece of a bamboo skewer does it . Works remarkably well, weighs almost nothing ... cost almost nothing too ..
Dec 17, 2015, 09:38 AM
Retired CAD guy
I happened to have some "Left over from Kite building" Kevlar thread.
NO stretch and Super great for Pull Pull set ups.

Been using PP on a 5 yr old FalClone 60 , No problems !
Same on an Old Timer Buccaneer.
And an over sized 3D plane - The Red Trim.

For Pull Pull on Heavier Gliders I use Berkley Leader line, stranded and plastic coated.
Dec 17, 2015, 10:35 AM
Joystick trans made from an old computer joystick and a cheap HK Orange transmitter.
Foam pockets to keep batts warm for winter flying, made from the thin clear foam that electronics comes packed in.

Gord.