Jan 19, 2019, 11:51 AM
Youtube channel : solentlifeuk
Quote:
Aside: Fuel tubing? Huh? It is the stuff that we slimer drivers use; if you are totally into electrikery flying only, make friends with someone who is a glow fuel type and beg for a handout.
No need ... I have a bunch of Wet Fuel planes .... Glow and Gasoline ranging from 61 (10cc) Glow up to 30cc gasoline ...

mmmmmm I'll check out my gun see if I can do that.

The brass tube gun I had - was brilliant for running fillets along joints ... plus the brass tube getting hot allowed me to use it to create hole in the Depron to inject through ...

Nigel
Latest blog entry: Life goes on and new boat
to remove ads between posts
Jan 19, 2019, 03:27 PM
Closed Account
Quote:
make friends with someone who is a glow fuel type and beg for a handout.
No need to ask, as there's always some left lying around in our club's parking lot (especially around the bin for crashed models ).

CD
Jan 19, 2019, 10:51 PM
Penny. Penny. Penny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerslayer
This may still fit within the highly specialized topic of penny tech. Although it cost a few dollars it is intended to be used on the cheap stuff that we all love.
It seems to be a fairly new product, at least at Michaels, under $20CDN. I picked one up, it seems to work and I plan to use it for more delicate jobs, ideal for that small run of hot glue around the edge of servos, etc.

The following is a totally "girly" video butat least you can see the product.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UCZOLggmr0
Cool idea. Unfortunately, not good reviews on Michael's website.
Jan 20, 2019, 03:58 PM
Out Standing In The Field
10 bucks at WallyMart, only 4 one star reviews out of 86.
You can probably find 4 people out of 86 that don't like free pizza & beer.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hot-Glue-...BoCJ88QAvD_BwE
Jan 20, 2019, 04:31 PM
Penny. Penny. Penny
Interesting. I'm definitely in for the pizza and beer.
Jan 20, 2019, 08:45 PM
I've stopped using velcro stuck to my my batteries to hold them in. Instead I use these large rubber bands around the battery. I'll use a velcro strap around the battery to attach it to the tray. The strap digs into the rubber band a bit, and the rubber band makes the battery grip on the tray.

I've always felt that the constant pulling of a velcroed battery out of the plane puts unneeded stress on the airframe.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OFFICE-RUBB...C6z4:rk:8:pf:0
Jan 21, 2019, 08:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bstanley72
I've stopped using velcro stuck to my my batteries to hold them in. Instead I use these large rubber bands around the battery. I'll use a velcro strap around the battery to attach it to the tray. The strap digs into the rubber band a bit, and the rubber band makes the battery grip on the tray.

I've always felt that the constant pulling of a velcroed battery out of the plane puts unneeded stress on the airframe.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OFFICE-RUBB...C6z4:rk:8:pf:0
What is the smallest and largest size battery that those bands work well on?
Jan 22, 2019, 02:08 AM
I decided that I wanted to start using a neck strap when flying. I found that the strap attachment eye on my JR 9303 is such that the transmitter is held at a very awkward angle. I came up with this solution and now I am getting much more comfortable with the arrangement. If I decide that I will keep using a strap then I will work on a more elegant system.
Jan 22, 2019, 03:13 AM
Danish?Ain' dat' sommin U eat?
That strap attachment eye orignally balanced the typical JR/Graupner type TX case perfectly in that position.......when there was a 72/40/35MHz antenna on the TX
Oddly enough many "handheld" size transmitters still have this issue, even though many were literally born as 2.4GHz devices, like most spektrum transmitters, Taranis, etc., simply because they more or less blindly copied the JR/Graupner case designs (Graupners were originally built by JR). Luckily, this also means there are a bunch of readymade adaptors out there to solve this.

My Taranis came with one not unlike this, and it works fairly nicely: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/transmit...r-general.html; I'd assume something like this could easily be DIY'ed from a suitable allthread bolt with a nut on it to lock it to the TX eye, and a number of holes drilled through the stem. Or you could just attach a freely adjustable eye of sorts to the stem by locking it between 2 nuts - even simpler to make.
Only negative is that it obstructs the power switch a bit, not that I mind that, as it also protects it. But if you want something a little more covenient, most of the currently sold ones compensate a bit for this, like: https://www.banggood.com/da/Aluminum...r_warehouse=CN, as an example. There are also various more adjustable types out there.
Just search for tx neck strap balancer, a bunch of variants will show up.
Last edited by DKChris; Jan 22, 2019 at 03:21 AM.
Jan 22, 2019, 03:50 AM
There is another way that is simple and means no obstruction of ON-OFF switch .. no modified straps or hooks ...

Attach a weight to the carry handle to balance the radio. Could be simply the self adhesive tyre weights used to balance your car wheels. Fishing weight ...

I hate trays ... and love neck straps - because I like to 'hold' the radio. With a tray - my hand is forced to sit on the tray and I do not have the same 'reference' in my mind ... but with a strap - my hand holds and I instinctively know centre on sticks.
So what can be done ? Modify the tray ... cut away the sections so you still 'hold' the radio but the remaining part of tray carries the radio for you.

There are many DIY trays out there cheap and cheerful that this can be done.

Nigel
Jan 22, 2019, 04:23 AM
I had considered attaching a weight out at the tip of the antenna, but then got to thinking about a better way to solve the problem.

I would like to point out that with an eye type of attachment the angle that the transmitter wants to be is fixed and I found that to be irritating. With this sling type of arrangement I can adjust and fine tune the angle at will. And that is an ability that I definitely want to keep !

PS - After posting the above I just now noticed that having a bit of space between the bottom of the transmitter and my 'belt- buckle' is way more comfortable. I will be trying some foam spacers in that area and see how that goes.
Last edited by S.Davy; Jan 22, 2019 at 05:14 AM.
Jan 22, 2019, 05:20 AM
I knew a guy years ago that had a tray that sat into his waistband. No straps ... just an L shape. Yes he was a slim guy and not like me ... fatgutted !!

Nigel
Jan 22, 2019, 07:21 AM
Danish?Ain' dat' sommin U eat?
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Davy
I had considered attaching a weight out at the tip of the antenna, .......
Please don't.
The actual actively signal transmitting part of your antenna is only the outer ~1½-2 inches or so. And it is very sensitive to effects of any nearby material. If you put any kind of metal around it you will have nearly no signal out at all, and just some metal close by on any side wil have marked effect on your radiation pattern(i.e. you will get "blind spots where the metal blocks the antenna), but even nonconductive stuff like wood or plastic will also effect the antenna range a lot. The handle is a far far better choice of place.
Last edited by DKChris; Jan 22, 2019 at 10:59 AM.
Jan 22, 2019, 10:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ooOoo
What is the smallest and largest size battery that those bands work well on?
I use on 3s 2200 and 6s 4000, could go a bit larger and smaller.
Jan 22, 2019, 11:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Davy
I decided that I wanted to start using a neck strap when flying. I found that the strap attachment eye on my JR 9303 is such that the transmitter is held at a very awkward angle. I came up with this solution and now I am getting much more comfortable with the arrangement. If I decide that I will keep using a strap then I will work on a more elegant system.
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/neck-str...nsmitters.html

$0.50 at Hobby King. I've been using my 2 [similar ones] for 7 years.

Jerry

Quick Reply