Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Dec 15, 2015, 08:13 PM
I Look, Listen, and Learn
Idea

homemade ideas for cheap and/or free

Just want to start a thread for good ideas on creating cheap and or free items for planes. I have seen many good ideas posted over the last couple of years and think that they should be shared with all of the somewhat less than fortunate....or cheap people like me....that enjoy this hobby.
I just came up with this idea, and I'm sure someone else may have also done this, for cheap wheels and I wanted to share it. I will also post more great ideas of what others have done when I can find the pics and discription and hope more people will too.
Im sure there are already threads on this subject but I think it would be good to start another for the newbies to see.
Last edited by Timbo383; Dec 16, 2015 at 10:06 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 15, 2015, 08:58 PM
Hot glue held together by foam
For airframe construction I don't think you can beat Dollar Store foam board , bamboo skewers , hot glue and packing tape .
Dec 15, 2015, 09:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon
For airframe construction I don't think you can beat Dollar Store foam board , bamboo skewers , hot glue and packing tape .
Got that one covered
Dec 15, 2015, 11:45 PM
Allways the hard way!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo383
Got that one covered
Are those loooong sticks bamboo? The realy long one i can get are like tree stumps and too thick and heavy to use in my size rc...
Dec 15, 2015, 11:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgy
Are those loooong sticks bamboo? The realy long one i can get are like tree stumps and too thick and heavy to use in my size rc...
You can get 5mm bamboo skewers in lengths up to 36"
http://www.amazon.com/BambooMN-Brand...M58FPACZ35R9NE
Dec 16, 2015, 12:11 AM
Allways the hard way!
My 2c contribution..

Push-rods:
I've been using aluminium Tig-welding rods as push rods for a while now. Works very well when used in the shorter applications. Nice & light compared to piano wire. But you have to support halfway if used longer than about 150mm.

I buy a packet of 20 rods (500mm long) for about the same price of 2 lenghts piano wire. Welding supplies shops will also have 1m lenghts available...

Cyno hinges:
Cut up old x-ray films (the plastic ones) to what ever width/lenghts your heart desires.. collect a few packs now.. cos its paper now-a-days!
Dec 16, 2015, 06:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgy
Got those at an academy store on sale for $1, camping marshmello sticks...but they are a little flimsy.
Dec 16, 2015, 08:03 AM
Fly It Till The Wings Tear Off
I've used the 2 MM fiberglass rods that come with Dollar Tree $1.00 kites for all sorts of things. Landing gear, wing struts, pushrods, and tail ,fuse reinforcement.
Dec 16, 2015, 09:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty909
I've used the 2 MM fiberglass rods that come with Dollar Tree $1.00 kites for all sorts of things. Landing gear, wing struts, pushrods, and tail ,fuse reinforcement.
Strong, flexable, and light....and cheap.....perfect.
Dec 16, 2015, 11:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty909
+1 for Dollar Store kite rods , just as straight and strong as 2mm CF rod !
Dec 16, 2015, 11:50 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Thanks Guys , we’ll add those to the list ...
Dec 16, 2015, 12:52 PM
Don't forget control horns cut from old CD/DVD discs ( very strong polycarbonate plastic ) .

And zip tie pushrod guides .
Dec 16, 2015, 01:09 PM
wd40 spray tubes. wheel bushings, control rod guides, and stab reinforcement.

Hobby lobby( craft store) Micheals, A.C. Moore, they have micro magnet connectors in the jewelry section. I have used them in a power pod so the servo links "snap" in place for the rudder and elevator. A simple piece of paper keeps them from crossing sides.
Dec 16, 2015, 02:14 PM
Quote:
Don't forget control horns cut from old CD/DVD discs ( very strong polycarbonate plastic ) .

And zip tie pushrod guides .
Control horns from cds, that a new one for me......cut with a Dremel cutoff wheel?
Dec 16, 2015, 02:46 PM
Quote:
Don't forget control horns cut from old CD/DVD discs ( very strong polycarbonate plastic ) . .
I've given up on them as they are too brittle and I've had a number of them snap. I've gone to using credit cards as they can flex but are stiff enough for the job. Note the slice of bamboo through to spread the side load. They also have 1 mm holes in the tag that goes through the surface (rudder, aileron, elevator) to let glue get a grip on the horn.

Credit cards can be cut with scissors while the CD needed the Dremel and a small hacksaw.