Acrowot XL - RC Groups
Dec 15, 2015, 11:11 AM
Discussion

Acrowot XL

I just bought one of these http://www2.ripmax.net/Item.aspx?Ite...tegory=010-020,
I've already built the kit Xtrawot and it flew a treat so this is a bit bigger (but a LOT heavier) so should fly OK too.
I won't start the build till the new year as I'm currently repairing all the bits of damage to my fleet. I also have an astrohog on the build and also a sig 1/5th cub.
With the acrowot xl there's only 2 or 3 glued joints and six servos to fit so it should go together in a couple of evenings, so it'll be ready next spring.
I've got a brand new rcgf 30 cc gasser to pull it round and a bunch of digital metal geared servos to waggle the controls.
I've attached a pic of my xtrawot which currently has an ngh 25 gasser up front, when that pic was taken it had an os 160 fx.
I don't know if you get these models in the states, but if you do they fly so well .
to remove ads between posts
Sep 29, 2016, 02:27 PM
Now on my second Acrowot XL - see the video to see why it's my second plane...
Acrowot XL Warning (2 min 25 sec)
Sep 29, 2016, 03:53 PM
Thanks for the warning , I am just starting a wot 4 extreme build.
Best of luck with your new one
Chris
Oct 01, 2016, 05:14 AM
Hi Chris. Thanks for the good wishes and please DON'T use the supplied fittings unless your 100% sure they are good quality. Moving up to a 30cc petrol plane puts far more force onto the control surfaces so to be sure your plane will pull out from a dive - check them... I am sure my new Acrowot plane will fly safely now. Perhaps I should have seen the problem at the build stage however I see the new clevises on my new Acrowot kit has exactly the same problem and the kits were obtained about 4 months apart so unlikely to be from the same batch hence the reason I made the video warning.
I have sent the video link to Ripmax as well - see if I get any reply. Regards Peter
Oct 01, 2016, 12:25 PM
Thanks again for the warning Peter,
I have thrown away the supplied clevises and bought some better quality ones Today from my local Hobby shop ( a rarity these days).
I would be interested in hearing Ripmax's response .....
Nov 10, 2017, 02:38 PM
As a final I have been flying the plane all year now and it’s a great plane with no bad character points. I have found the stall point to be very gentle and far from sudden and I have ditched the NGH35 engine for a DLE which is far more reliable.
When l go to the flying site now I enjoy it instead of worrying if something was going to fail on the plane or the engine cutting out and having to come in dead stick...
If you follow my advice and if you throw away the supplied rubbish hardware and use decent clevises with a good engine you will be very very pleased with this plane....
End of story now.
Regards Peter Bruce UK
Nov 10, 2017, 06:22 PM
I had a similar thing happen on a model I designed. A 60 size low wing. I used Sullivan Nyrod and the 2/56 wire slipped in the inner rod that was controlling the elevator. All of a sudden I had almost no elevator in a dive. So I cut the throttle and pulled out just before I hit the ground. I was skimming just over the tall grass thinking I was going to just have a skinned up plane when all of a sudden the plane exploded into confetti. I couldn't see it over a hundred yards away but there was a tall T-Post out in the field with one of the warning signs about buried cable. It hit it so dead center that it messed up the threads on the crank shaft. End of plane.

Sullivan did examine the golden rod and said it didn't meet specs and sent me a new package. I gave it away and never used that stuff again. Its one thing to dumb thumb one into the ground but to lose a model because of defective hardware is inexcusable. No reason for that.
Nov 12, 2017, 06:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucepeter2007
If you follow my advice and if you throw away the supplied rubbish hardware and use decent clevises with a good engine you will be very very pleased with this plane....
Regards Peter Bruce UK
Well Peter, I just got a kit for my birthday and they are still supplying defective clevises a year on, although it is possible they only made one batch and all kits will all be the same.

The quality of Chris Foss kits has always been so good. Did you get a reply?

Thank you for the warning, another model saved ... John
Nov 14, 2017, 04:18 PM
Well I built the plane, fitted it out with servos etc and a brand new rcgf 30 from HK, then sold it on before its maiden.
I used upgraded hardware from HK btw.
Regretting it now but I have some great 60 -91 sized low wingers that suit me fine.
Nov 16, 2017, 07:19 AM
I loved my Acrowot and WotsWot XLs with NGH GF38s but found them too big to store and carry about. I too replaced all the supplied linkages. There's no doubt they are a little nicer to fly in UK weather than the standard versions and I was sad to see them go. I still have my ancient AW built from an early kit and an artf Wot4 and recently I have added a WW artf. That has the same poor quality hardware in the box, but I'll forgive it that as it flies so nicely.
As I got older and more feeble I do find the trad 40-60 sizes hit the sweet spot, even 90 size seems a lot of model.
I could still be tempted by another AWXL but it would have to be glow powered, no more stinky petrols thanks!
Nov 16, 2017, 11:19 AM
I bought myself an audi tt and can just get two planes in with the rear seats up, a wot4 kit built and a modeltech Dragon lady and I have to take the u/c off that to avoid rash of the hangar!