Dave-
to remove ads between posts
Feb 09, 2017, 03:28 PM
Mum is the word!
Your Marriage sounds to0 expensive if 175.00 turns you off,LOL
Feb 10, 2017, 12:16 AM
Laughs at un-boxing videos...
XD-M
I assume the rear smallish motor makes this your FPV rig?

Personally I have not done that good with rear motored planks. Too noisy for my taste and less stable than front motors.

Klick
nice video, didn't see goggles,
Feb 10, 2017, 01:45 AM
skumgummi dave
Foam toys at $175 is silly expensive to me. Has nothing to do with marriage which you obviously know little about. LOL
Feb 10, 2017, 02:37 AM
Mum is the word!
Yep, still married oldest is 22 youngest is 10 months old. I know what its all about and the wife says spend if I want a plane. The mold for the big Drak and the mini Drak is enough I could buy a nice house with that money, LOL
I do know how much I value performance, its clearly worth much more to some than it is to others.
Feb 10, 2017, 03:21 AM
skumgummi dave
Would rather build my own for a price that fits my budget.

Dave-
Feb 10, 2017, 03:35 AM
serial scratchbuilder
My wife wouldn't bat an eye if I said I was going to buy a plane, but I could never justify the $300cad for something that is merely "prettier" than what I can produce from $20 worth of foam.
Feb 10, 2017, 04:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by klique
Yep, still married oldest is 22 youngest is 10 months old. I know what its all about and the wife says spend if I want a plane. The mold for the big Drak and the mini Drak is enough I could buy a nice house with that money, LOL
I do know how much I value performance, its clearly worth much more to some than it is to others.
You have to admit; there's a certain satisfaction that comes from designing and building something from scratch. Even if it is based on a preexisting design (what isn't).

I was ecstatic to see people building, flying, and enjoying my Combat F-15 that I posted over in the SEMFF Jets thread.

There is also the educational experience of using a CAD program, working with complex geometries, understanding the aerodynamics, etc, etc...

Being a woodworker; I also enjoy the build process. Taking raw materials and adding value by making something useful/enjoyable out of them is highly rewarding as well.

Speaking of raw materials. This plane takes 2 sheets of Model Plane Foam. Using B grade, that's about $4.50. It also takes 6 sticks of CF tube and rod. That's about $12.

So when I consider my emotional and spiritual well being, the educational experience, as well as the cost involved, the Value of this plane, for me, is off the scale.

I'm the same way when I see a nice piece of furniture. I immediately start thinking about how I could Build something like it, what materials I would use, etc.

We scratchbuilders are a rare breed.
Feb 10, 2017, 04:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by klique
Congratulations on the recent addition to the family by the way.
Feb 10, 2017, 06:29 AM
Ken's CAD Models
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDmToter
You have to admit; there's a certain satisfaction that comes from designing and building something from scratch. Even if it is based on a preexisting design (what isn't).

I was ecstatic to see people building, flying, and enjoying my Combat F-15 that I posted over in the SEMFF Jets thread.

There is also the educational experience of using a CAD program, working with complex geometries, understanding the aerodynamics, etc, etc...

Being a woodworker; I also enjoy the build process. Taking raw materials and adding value by making something useful/enjoyable out of them is highly rewarding as well.

Speaking of raw materials. This plane takes 2 sheets of Model Plane Foam. Using B grade, that's about $4.50. It also takes 6 sticks of CF tube and rod. That's about $12.

So when I consider my emotional and spiritual well being, the educational experience, as well as the cost involved, the Value of this plane, for me, is off the scale.

I'm the same way when I see a nice piece of furniture. I immediately start thinking about how I could Build something like it, what materials I would use, etc.

My heart beats in sympathy. Well said!

Ken
Feb 10, 2017, 10:16 AM
treefinder
Absolutely well spoke! A rare breed we are! Perhaps a bit odd as well, but having fun! Gpw got it right, fun per buck!
Feb 10, 2017, 12:35 PM
You sabotaged my plane.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDmToter

Scratchbuilders are not as rare a people think at least in my experience as a laser cutter. I'm in contact with many builders that might want a set of ribs or another odd shaped part they would rather have laser cut. Sure it's not "true" scratchbuilding cutting everything themselves but there are many people building that we never hear about on the various forums.

Jim
Feb 10, 2017, 01:00 PM
treefinder
well, there's "rare" as in scarce, and there's "rare" as in a cut above. I agree with you that we aren't as scarce as the aeromodeling MSM (to use a phrase from general media) might make one think, but I've no doubt that we're a "cut above"!
Feb 11, 2017, 07:40 PM
You sabotaged my plane.
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer
....................... but I've no doubt that we're a "cut above"!
LOL, I'll go with that Mike, whether a single edge razor blade, band saw or laser.
Apr 23, 2017, 11:10 AM
Have you had any chance to finish the plans at all??

Quick Reply