The RCGroups Podcast - The FAA Update Discussion - RC Groups

The RCGroups Podcast - The FAA Update Discussion

The official FAA rules have been released. Listen to the podcast and learn more!

Splash

RCG goes over the recent FAA decision to register all unmanned aircraft.

Theories on how the FAA would handle "drones" or first-person-view aircraft has been debated for a while now. Today the FAA actually released their new rules that not only regulate "drones" but all aircraft from .55 pounds to 55 pounds.

Jim T. Graham, Jason Cole and Matt Gunn discuss the rules and how they will be implemented in this edition of the RCGroups podcast. We were also invited to participate in the live phone call from the FAA . We also feature that along with the questions from news outlets and responses from the FAA.

RCGroups FAA Podcast

You can download the RCGroups FAA podcast here.

The RCGroups editors have created news stories that should answer all your questions:

FAA Announces Rules for Drone Aircraft Registration Process Registration begins on December 21st.

FAA Drone Registration Official Announcement Call - Hear What was Said... The FAA held a media conference call this morning where they announced the official drone registration rules. Listen in on the call...

Dec 14, 2015, 04:05 PM

faa ruling!

refuse to comply! if all of us thats 250,000+ that will tell them they need to rethink this! at only 5.00 per person and if 250,000 register that puts 1.25 million in the governments pocket every 3 years. whats next? taxing every plane we have?
Dec 14, 2015, 04:11 PM
What's next the DMV requiring you to register your rc car. This is a slippery slope. We should fight this.
Dec 14, 2015, 04:24 PM

Just another way to make you part with your money!

Seriously, we need to register drones (I assume this means rc planes as well)?
Our government is run by buffoons, how many people have guns killed and there is no federal mandate to register them. How many people have drones killed?
I guess the NRA is stronger then the AMA!
Dec 14, 2015, 04:24 PM
this isn't a law yet, don't register
Dec 14, 2015, 04:26 PM
The Bag Lady
So to fly in a local contest is government registration going to be required?
Dec 14, 2015, 04:28 PM
Quote " not only regulate "drones" but all aircraft from .55 pounds to 55 pounds."

Surely you don't mean that they want us to register every model we have?

website jam like the obamacare fiasco!

I foresee a website jam up like what happened when a million people tried to sign up for the medical mess. So I suspect that getting the free registration will be a wish that cannot be fulfilled for most because they won't be able to get onto the site for at least 30 days. This is a money grab because simply requiring flyers to have their name and phone number on the plane would have been just as good.
"The
tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to
time with the
blood of patriots and tyrants." --

Thomas
Jefferson
Dec 14, 2015, 04:30 PM
Closed Account
What a confidence builder in the American way of life. Regulate minor stuff like RC planes/heli's and ignore the abuse of power by police, random mass gun violence and let racial activists hijack the discussion to suit their needs here in the good old USA.

I say screw em and let them try wresting my 4 pound RC plane from my cold dead fingers. Maybe that kind of language they respond to better. Goddamned idiots.
Dec 14, 2015, 04:32 PM

Register my drone ? NO !

I AM NOT REGISTERING MY DRONE WITH THE GOVERNMENT !

I agree we have to be sensible about how and where we operate our drones and I do not have a proposal for administrating the safe use of them except being individually responsible in operating them.

I do not believe nor want the federal government to be in the business of policing my use of my private property with in the boundaries of the rules already in place.
Government has already overstepped their boundaries in many many different areas of my life and I'm going to fight this as long and as far as I can to keep them out of my life. They need to defend my country and do a limited amount of administrating of business along with dealing with foreign governments. Aside from that they need to stay out of my life !

Thank you for letting me rant, and to reiterate my position if no one clearly understood me, I am NOT going to register my aircraft with the FAA !
Dec 14, 2015, 04:34 PM

registration

Do not do it!!! If we take a stand united together, what are they going to do
Dec 14, 2015, 04:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbagladyal
So to fly in a local contest is government registration going to be required?
Depends if your from Canada, oh wait... You can't register because you don't meet the US citizen requirement.
Dec 14, 2015, 04:35 PM
This tactic is how our government has been working for the last 7 years. They use the media to create laws that are not even on the books. FOX news doesn't like drones so they are all over it this story. The reason they don't like drones, Hollywood News wants to control all video input
Dec 14, 2015, 04:38 PM
The reason why government doesn't like drones, they won't be able to lie. Our drones will catch the action. The truth!