FAA announces UAS registration rule. - RC Groups
Dec 14, 2015, 03:49 PM
Alert

FAA announces UAS registration rule.

WASHINGTON – The U.S. Department of Transportation’s Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) today announced a streamlined and user-friendly web-based aircraft registration process for owners of small unmanned aircraft (UAS) weighing more than 0.55 pounds (250 grams) and less than 55 pounds (approx. 25 kilograms) including payloads such as on-board cameras.

The Registration Task Force delivered recommendations to FAA Administrator Michael Huerta and Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx on November 21. The rule incorporates many of the task force recommendations.

“Make no mistake: unmanned aircraft enthusiast are aviators, and with that title comes a great deal of responsibility,” said U.S. Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx. “Registration gives us an opportunity to work with these users to operate their unmanned aircraft safely. I’m excited to welcome these new aviators into the culture of safety and responsibility that defines American innovation.”

Registration is a statutory requirement that applies to all aircraft. Under this rule, any owner of a small UAS who has previously operated an unmanned aircraft exclusively as a model aircraft prior to December 21, 2015, must register no later than February 19, 2016. Owners of any other UAS purchased for use as a model aircraft after December 21, 2015 must register before the first flight outdoors. Owners may use either the paper-based process or the new streamlined, web-based system. Owners using the new streamlined web-based system must be at least 13 years old to register.

Owners may register through a web-based system at www.faa.gov/uas/registration

Registrants will need to provide their name, home address and e-mail address. Upon completion of the registration process, the web application will generate a Certificate of Aircraft Registration/Proof of Ownership that will include a unique identification number for the UAS owner, which must be marked on the aircraft.

Owners using the model aircraft for hobby or recreation will only have to register once and may use the same identification number for all of their model UAS. The registration is valid for three years.

The normal registration fee is $5, but in an effort to encourage as many people as possible to register quickly, the FAA is waiving this fee for the first 30 days (from Dec. 21, 2015 to Jan 20, 2016).

“We expect hundreds of thousands of model unmanned aircraft will be purchased this holiday season,” said FAA Administrator Huerta. “Registration gives us the opportunity to educate these new airspace users before they fly so they know the airspace rules and understand they are accountable to the public for flying responsibly.”

The online registration system does not yet support registration of small UAS used for any purpose other than hobby or recreation – for example, using an unmanned aircraft in connection with a business. The FAA is developing enhancements that will allow such online registrations by spring of 2016.

If you have a spare 6 hours, the full rule can be viewed here: www.faa.gov/news/updates/media/20151213_IFR.pdf
to remove ads between posts
Dec 14, 2015, 07:08 PM
LYNX/OXY Team Manager
Sad part is this is only going to effect the real hobbyists and not the people creating the issues.

This is not just quads.

I weighed my heli's and my 180's and up need to have numbers.
Latest blog entry: Our Family heli's.
Dec 14, 2015, 11:55 PM
This sums it up rather nicely:

FAA Drone Registration (Parody) (4 min 10 sec)
Dec 16, 2015, 01:08 AM
Cox Engine Hoarder
This includes kites and control line planes too over 250 grams. Idiocracy at its best right there.
Jan 11, 2016, 01:14 AM
Cox Engine Hoarder
So will you have to call Outagamie Airport every time you fly at the sod farm since its within the 5 mile radius?
Jan 11, 2016, 11:02 PM
I believe Heath is taking care of using an AMA provided form letter to inform the airport. Stay tuned to future meeting minutes for updates but suffice to say the members do not need to contact anyone at this time before flying.

In addition AMA changed their tune on FAA registration per a mass email sent by AMA today. The concern is that they may not have details worked out before the $5 registration with $5 rebate expires next week. For this reason Heath has now posted the official links on the club website and you can find them here.
http://flyvam.club/?page_id=133
Jun 21, 2016, 01:08 PM
FAA delivers first rules document that will take effect in August.
Read here:
https://www.faa.gov/news/press_relea...m?newsId=20515

Maybe Bob or someone can summarize main points.
Jun 22, 2016, 08:45 AM
When I read it (part 107 Summary) it says that model aircraft are not covered by Part 107 Summary.
And " Sec.336, Special Rule For Model Aircraft " is for model aircraft operation. I didn't see anything that limited altitude of flight.

Mike P
Jun 25, 2016, 10:41 AM

SEC. 336.Special rule for model aircraft

I think the FAA was pretty easy on us after all. I says that the" FAA may not promulgate any rule or regulation regarding a model aircraft, or an aircraft being developed as a model aircraft, if"---

1.--the aircraft is flown strictly for hobby or recreation.
2.--the aircraft is operated in accordance with a community based set of safety guidelines and with
in the programming of a nationwide community-based organization . For us, this would be the
AMA and our club.
3.--Limited to not more than 55 pounds unless it follows the guidelines of the community based
organization (AMA).
4.-- Does not interfere with manned aircraft.
5.--When flying from a permanent location within 5 miles of an airport the operator (club) and
airport should establish mutual operating procedure.

Then it goes on to define what a model aircraft is.

1.---capable of sustained flight in the atmosphere.
2.--flown within visual line of sight of the person operating the aircraft.
3.-- flown for hobby or recreational purposes.

I think this is pretty simple when compared to all other unmanned aircraft rules that they have
such as those for commercial operators and everything else that flies which isn't covered by the rules for model aircraft. I hope this helps, it was a little hard reading and scrolling through the whole law to find SEC. 336 for model aircraft.

Mike P.