Dec 14, 2015, 11:24 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

UAV or "Drone" Registration Requirement from the FAA

As of December 21st, looks like ALL "unmanned arial vehicles" including airplanes, helicopters, multi-rotors, or whatever between 0.55 and 55 pounds must be registered with the FAA:

http://www.faa.gov/news/press_releases/news_story.cfm?newsId=19856

Somehow I suspected it was never a question of if, but when this would become a requirement. Too much negative press from unsafe/inappropriate flying or use of guns/flame-throwers from a multi-rotor.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 14, 2015, 11:48 AM
This is BAT country!
Looks like It is time to find a new hobby. This ticks me off to no end. Make me pay a fee to fly my rc airplanes on my on property? Kiss my... I guess they dont care about all the hobby dollars they will lose by doing this. Why is the gov stepping on our toes? It is not right.
Dec 14, 2015, 11:58 AM
Recreational Model Plane Pilot
And what will happen if we don't register?

Added note: Although this isn't an entirely bad idea it's not going to prevent any idiot-use of sUAS.
Last edited by Rhea; Dec 14, 2015 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Added note
Dec 14, 2015, 12:03 PM
$250,000 fine and jail.
At least it is only $5 every 3 years for all your aircraft inclusive. Gives some accountability since the FPV/quad industry has changed the way we are all perceived by the public.
The $5 will be refunded if you register in a timely manner.
I'm not upset about this, but it could get worse if idiots stay reckless and inconsiderate.
Dec 14, 2015, 12:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by restlessswind
but it could WILL get worse if because idiots will stay reckless and inconsiderate.
There, fixed it for you.

Andy
Dec 14, 2015, 12:24 PM
A man with too many toys
All my airplanes are less that .55lb. I wonder if my scales are broken – LOL.
Dec 14, 2015, 12:27 PM
A man with too many toys
I really don’t understand how this is going to protect the US from radical threats?
Dec 14, 2015, 12:35 PM
This isn't about radical threats. It's about inconsiderate idiots ruining it for the rest of us.

I totally support registering FPV vehicles and related equipment in a more extreme manner, as long as "they" can differentiate FPV vs 3rd person view (line of sight).

FPV and easy-to-fly quads have really exploited this hobby.
Dec 14, 2015, 12:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz
There, fixed it for you.

Andy
Thanks! You are absolutely right!
Dec 14, 2015, 12:56 PM
Ochroma Pyramidale Tekton

This is my opinion, so take it as such.

Well, if you ask me, the majority of the problem (the only one, if media reports are to be taken as gospel) has been the multi-copters and [especially] FPVs. I actually saw this coming from the first post about them.

Before they came along no one bothered us because in the public's eyes we were considered to be an educational and respectable hobby.

So In My Opinion we as model aviators should have been pushing for the registration of these types of aircraft as soon as all this started. Then at least the rest of us wouldn't have had to suffer for 'their' sins (I am referring here to the scofflaws, not those who flew in a respectable manner). But did we? No. Instead we went on and on insisting they be allowed to operate just as if they were any ordinary line of sight model, as a result ALL model aircraft got dumped into the same basket along with the rotting fruit.

So I guess we all got what we wished for...

Personally? I would have just banned all civilian use of these products. By "civilian" I mean non military, non commercial and those not used by emergency services. And they would have to register their craft.

As for how the law stands now, I would make one change, that registration would only be necessary if flown anywhere other than indoors or at a registered, sanctioned field created specifically for the use of model aircraft, and then only within line of site (with a spotter if FPV) as already recommended by the A.M.A.

At least it's only $0.005 cents a day and includes all our aircraft. It could have been a LOT worse!
Last edited by Fly Wheel; Dec 14, 2015 at 01:02 PM.
Dec 14, 2015, 01:09 PM
Do a Barrel Roll!
I highly doubt those that are the problem (flying recklessly near people, airports, cities, ect. ) are also going to register - making this whole thing a failure.
Just another way to make money off of the good guys that fly respectably.
Dec 14, 2015, 01:14 PM
Model Aircraft Operations
http://www.faa.gov/uas/model_aircraft/

Model aircraft operations are for hobby or recreational purposes only.

The FAA has partnered with several industry associations to promote Know Before You Fly, a campaign to educate the public about using unmanned aircraft safely and responsibly. Individuals flying for hobby or recreation are strongly encouraged to follow safety guidelines [emphasis added], which include:

•Fly below 400 feet and remain clear of surrounding obstacles
•Keep the aircraft within visual line of sight at all times
•Remain well clear of and do not interfere with manned aircraft operations
•Don't fly within 5 miles of an airport unless you contact the airport and control tower before flying
•Don't fly near people or stadiums
•Don't fly an aircraft that weighs more than 55 lbs
•Don't be careless or reckless with your unmanned aircraft – you could be fined for endangering people or other aircraft

The statutory parameters of a model aircraft operation are outlined in Section 336 of Public Law 112-95 (the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012) (PDF). Individuals who fly within the scope of these parameters do not require permission to operate their UAS; any flight outside these parameters (including any non-hobby, non-recreational operation) requires FAA authorization. For example, using a UAS to take photos for your personal use is recreational; using the same device to take photographs or videos for compensation or sale to another individual would be considered a non-recreational operation.

__________________________________________________ __________________________

Basically no different from existing A.M.A. guidelines.
Dec 14, 2015, 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by restlessswind
This isn't about radical threats. It's about inconsiderate idiots ruining it for the rest of us.

I totally support registering FPV vehicles and related equipment in a more extreme manner, as long as "they" can differentiate FPV vs 3rd person view (line of sight).

FPV and easy-to-fly quads have really exploited this hobby.
I agree. Perhaps an amendment that would require that the serial number (which would be permanently engraved upon any chassis* sold) of these craft along with the user's name be sent to the FAA upon purchase. This would be without cost and could be done electronically or postage free.

*Chassis meaning part of a kit, RTF, ARF, or sold separately.
Dec 14, 2015, 01:25 PM
I hate waiting for parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Wheel
Well, if you ask me, the majority of the problem (the only one, if media reports are to be taken as gospel) has been the multi-copters and [especially] FPVs. I actually saw this coming from the first post about them.

Before they came along no one bothered us because in the public's eyes we were considered to be an educational and respectable hobby.

So In My Opinion we as model aviators should have been pushing for the registration of these types of aircraft as soon as all this started. Then at least the rest of us wouldn't have had to suffer for 'their' sins (I am referring here to the scofflaws, not those who flew in a respectable manner). But did we? No. Instead we went on and on insisting they be allowed to operate just as if they were any ordinary line of sight model, as a result ALL model aircraft got dumped into the same basket along with the rotting fruit.

So I guess we all got what we wished for...

Personally? I would have just banned all civilian use of these products. By "civilian" I mean non military, non commercial and those not used by emergency services. And they would have to register their craft.

As for how the law stands now, I would make one change, that registration would only be necessary if flown anywhere other than indoors or at a registered, sanctioned field created specifically for the use of model aircraft, and then only within line of site (with a spotter if FPV) as already recommended by the A.M.A.

At least it's only $0.005 cents a day and includes all our aircraft. It could have been a LOT worse!
Thank you very much for clarifying... I was flying multirotors and FPV long before it became hot/popular - and been flying model aviation in general for over 20 years now - so I do not deserve to be lumped into the same category as the other idiots who have ruined it for the rest of us.
Dec 14, 2015, 01:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Then
Thank you very much for clarifying... I was flying multirotors and FPV long before it became hot/popular - and been flying model aviation in general for over 20 years now - so I do not deserve to be lumped into the same category as the other idiots who have ruined it for the rest of us.
I don't believe you were lumped into anything. You have to admit that the idiots ruined it for you. The industry exploited the technology. If we have anyone to blame, it's' the hobby companies that promote this behavior (indirectly), but there will always be idiots among us.

Quick Reply