FAA Drone Registration Official Announcement Call - Hear What was Said...

The FAA held a media conference call this morning where they announced the official drone registration rules. Listen in on the call...

Splash

Registration is a Reality

The FAA held a media conference call this morning where they announced the official drone registration rules. Every operator with an aircraft weighing 250g to 55lbs will be required to register by February 19th. The registration website will go live on Monday December 21st and the registration fee will be $5. During the first 30 days, that $5 fee will be refunded back to the operator. You will only need to register once and it is good for all your aircraft. You can listen to the full conference call in the video below.

Dec 14, 2015, 12:06 PM
Pompano Hills Flyers
Well that sucks
Dec 14, 2015, 12:28 PM
As a helicopter pilot who had a near miss with a drone a month or so ago, I can understand the need for some way to regulate who flies what and where, but I'm not sure how I feel about the weight restrictions applied to this ruling. That being said, the fee of $5 is pretty minimal, and is good for three years. Also, that's per operator, not per aircraft. So while I feel this is just another example of the .gov over-regulating the people, at least they're not shafting us on the cost or time frame...
Dec 14, 2015, 01:05 PM

This is just the beginning.

Again...the government making worthless rules...I still fail to see how registration is going stop people from braking the rules and using their toys in a unsafe manner.

While at it, why not make mandatory R/C car registration. Some people uses them on the roads. They could also cause an accident. Yet you don't see mandatory registration on R/C cars. They would look so cute with their tiny License plates.

Why not just fine the heck out people that are utilizing these toys in a dangerous way? Make it $5,000 per offense.

It is our own fault for calling these toys "drones". This will not stop here. Next thing you will see is a requirement for a "pilots license" and maybe a special "medical certificate" to be able to fly your little foamies and multi rotor toys.
Dec 14, 2015, 01:06 PM
Knife edge, are you sure it was a drone and not a bird??? seems most of these near misses have been proven to be birds............
Dec 14, 2015, 01:10 PM
So, again what is considered a drone. I have a Phantom 3 and a 3DR Solo which are considered "drones" but I'm also looking at getting into flying wings and planes so are they considered drones too?.

Also what do they mean by "the $5 will be refunded". How will it be refunded, by check as they hope most people won't cash them.
Dec 14, 2015, 01:11 PM
This is BAT country!
Just another sad fact. The fear mongering media ruining this hobby. This is very bad for the hobby industry. Big brother is watching and erroding our freedoms. Fine the bad guys, not the good guys. The day QUADCOPTERS ruined the hobby is here.
Dec 14, 2015, 01:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TockTari
Knife edge, are you sure it was a drone and not a bird??? seems most of these near misses have been proven to be birds............

The fact that the owner of the drone called and complained to my flight school pretty much nullifies any chance of it having been a bird. I'll admit that I didn't personally realize what it was until the guy called. The guy basically ratting himself out sealed the deal, LOL.

Allow me to add to my list of concerns the fact that my biggest concern here is getting "ramp checked" at the local park or field by someone from the FAA. I'm certain it will be a new thing, and a great way to drum up revenue for the .gov when they bust a handful of people for flying without registration! :-/ As a rated full-scale pilot, I don't have much of a choice but to comply with this new ruling. If I don't, then I can 100% guarantee that I will be held to a higher standard than a non-pilot, and the penalties for me will almost certainly include certificate action against me. As a career-minded pilot, I can't afford to lose my certificate for flying a model without registration.
Dec 14, 2015, 01:20 PM
How much ya wanna bet the drone registration database gets hacked.

They also want an email address so they'll probably end up selling our information to a third party as well.
Dec 14, 2015, 01:22 PM
Have you seen my nut?

Useless

And those already breaking laws on the books are going to register their drones?....ya right. This is

If my quad doesn't have a camera on it, is it now not a drone in the eyes of the government? Because to me, it is still just a quad copter.
Dec 14, 2015, 01:25 PM
Master of the Figure "9"
Quote:
Originally Posted by flexfanatic
How much ya wanna bet the drone registration database gets hacked.

They also want an email address so they'll probably end up selling our information to a third party as well.
Then create a new email account that will be used only for this registration process. Let it get filled with spam when you most likely won't access it again for 3 more years if at all? Nothing in the rule say you have to monitor the email account you registered with.
Dec 14, 2015, 01:27 PM
So after this "rule" goes into affect, who will be the enforcer? Will the local police be required to have a database of registered "drones" in their area?
Dec 14, 2015, 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogflyer
Then create a new email account that will be used only for this registration process. Let it get filled with spam when you most likely won't access it again for 3 more years if at all? Nothing in the rule say you have to monitor the email account you registered with.
So for drone registration should I create a whole new physical street address too?

You must provide your complete name, physical address, mailing address, and an email address. The email address will be used as your login ID when you set up your account.

Also how about this under the FAQ section:

Q. Do I have to register a paper airplane, or a toy balloon or Frisbee?
A. No. Even if these things could be considered "drones" or "unmanned aircraft" and met the minimum weight threshold of 250 gm/0.55 lb., the registration rules also require that they be a part of an "unmanned aircraft system." An "unmanned aircraft system" includes the communication links and components that control the small unmanned aircraft along with all of the other elements needed to safely operate the drone. Paper airplanes, toy balloons, Frisbees, and similar items are not connected to such control system.
Dec 14, 2015, 01:30 PM
I guess anything that flies and is bigger than 250grams will need to be registered?

Even if its just FPV and GPS?
Dec 14, 2015, 01:52 PM
Back after a long layoff

Thank you, Gentlemen.

From the FAQ:

Q. What is the definition of a UAS? Is it different from a drone?

A. A UAS is an unmanned aircraft system. A drone and a UAS are the same for registration purposes.

So, if I am reading this correctly, it's not just multi-rotors that need to be regulated, it's also my sailplanes. If that is the case, then I want to thank all the BLOS FPV braggarts who have posted their thrilling exploits on YouTube for years, just to get their 15 seconds of fame from their buddies, and giving the DHS just what it wanted to get its hands on our hobby. Way to keep a low profile, gentlemen. <slow clap>
Last edited by ah.clem; Dec 14, 2015 at 03:20 PM.

Quick Reply