FAA Announces Rules for Drone Aircraft Registration Process

Registration begins on December 21st. Happy Holidays!

FAA Announces Rules for Drone Aircraft Registration Process

Free for 30 days. Five Dollar Fee After. Only One Registration Number.

The rules are out! It looks as if the FAA followed some of the proposed recommendations from their Registration Task Force, and decided to go rogue on others. The FAA just posted the rules this morning, 12/14/2015, just in time for the perceived influx of toy quadcopters on Christmas morning that might fly into restricted airspace by children and dads alike... the threat is real! (ahem).

Here's a summary of the rules:

• Registration is required for small unmanned aircraft (UAS) weighing more than 0.55 pounds (250 grams) and less than 55 pounds (approx. 25 kilograms).
  • Under this rule, any owner of a small UAS who has previously operated an unmanned aircraft exclusively as a model aircraft prior to December 21, 2015, must register no later than February 19, 2016. Owners of any other UAS purchased for use as a model aircraft after December 21, 2015 must register before the first flight outdoors.
  • Owners may register through a web-based system at www.faa.gov/uas/registration.
  • Registrants will need to provide their name, home address and e-mail address. Upon completion of the registration process, the web application will generate a Certificate of Aircraft Registration/Proof of Ownership that will include a unique identification number for the UAS owner, which must be marked on the aircraft.
  • Owners using the model aircraft for hobby or recreation will only have to register once and may use the same identification number for all of their model UAS. The registration is valid for three years.
  • The normal registration fee is $5, but in an effort to encourage as many people as possible to register quickly, the FAA is waiving this fee for the first 30 days (from Dec. 21, 2015 to Jan 20, 2016).

Will Registered Hobbyist's Information Remain Private?

One question that was not answered involves the Freedom of Information Act. What safeguards will be in place to prevent news agencies from suing the Federal Government for the list of all registered hobbyists under the FOIA? Having private info published could cause a witch hunt by media and vigilante citizens if a drone or rc airplane is reported in your area. I, for one, hope there will be safeguards in place to protect the private information of law abiding citizens that register their rc aircraft.

Links:

FAA Rules for Drone Aircraft Registration Process news release

FAA Drone Registration Website (not live yet)

Last edited by Matt Gunn; Dec 14, 2015 at 11:21 AM..
Dec 14, 2015, 10:09 AM
14s 180mah should be enough...

I wonder how long it'll take for the FAA to make an example of someone?
Latest blog entry: Intro..a few years to late!
Dec 14, 2015, 10:16 AM
www.gunnphotoservices.com
Thread OP
I can put money on a couple of field reps showing up at Nall!
Latest blog entry: www.gunnphotoservices.com
Dec 14, 2015, 10:18 AM
Master of the Figure "9"
Under this rule, any owner of a small UAS who has previously operated an unmanned aircraft exclusively as a model aircraft prior to December 21, 2015, must register no later than February 19, 2016. Owners of any other UAS purchased for use as a model aircraft after December 21, 2015 must register before the first flight outdoors.

Appears to be violation of Section 336 since they specifically mention Model Aircraft...
Dec 14, 2015, 10:18 AM
At least I don't have to get over 35 registration numbers.........
I guess that's one good thing about this........
Dec 14, 2015, 10:21 AM
Complete BS, crap, its going to cost more than $5 to process the $5 fee. And for what? Another data base the Government statisticians and marketing hackers can mine off of. That is about the only use I can think of it for.
Dec 14, 2015, 10:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogflyer
Under this rule, any owner of a small UAS who has previously operated an unmanned aircraft exclusively as a model aircraft prior to December 21, 2015, must register no later than February 19, 2016. Owners of any other UAS purchased for use as a model aircraft after December 21, 2015 must register before the first flight outdoors.

Appears to be violation of Section 336 since they specifically mention Model Aircraft...
Nah, looks like they're re-classifying things that fall into that weight range and saying that you're not grandfathered in just because your [previously] model aircraft is [now] a UAS.
Dec 14, 2015, 10:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Gunn
I can put money on a couple of field reps showing up at Nall!
How will it affect Scale competitions and what about planes over 55 lbs?
Dec 14, 2015, 10:24 AM
Crash 'em if you got 'em
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogflyer

Exactly...
Dec 14, 2015, 10:25 AM
FPV Racer - N4FPV
Oh, let me rush right down today!!!
Dec 14, 2015, 10:29 AM
Today's forecast: Summer
The FAQ is interesting...http://www.faa.gov/uas/registration/faqs/
Dec 14, 2015, 10:34 AM
FPV Racer - N4FPV
Oh no, I have to wait until the 21st? How will I sleep????
Dec 14, 2015, 10:38 AM
Red Merle SJ VIII
Q. What about tethered drones?
A. Both tethered and untethered UAS must be registered.

I believe this would include Kites.

Is registering considered a Rule or Regulation? If not then this doesn't violate the Public Law.

Amazing the AMA couldn't get them to allow our current AMA number to suffice. They want to track us don't they. Oh, you WILL be charged $5 to register then get a refund. So they want to track you further with a credit card info too.

Curtis
Montana
Dec 14, 2015, 10:40 AM
HighFlyGuy
I posted this in the other thread, but I find it funny.

They are really trying to target the idiots who need to be spoonfed
(this is not in response to the post right before mine)
My point is, if you can't figure out or find how much your quad weighs, you really shouldn't be flying it or anything.

Q. If I don't have a scale and my drone doesn't appear on the list is there another method to tell how much it weighs?
A. Two sticks of butter weigh 0.5lbs.

-What does one do with 2 sticks of butter? How much does 6 sticks of butter weigh? Somebody help.
-Thanks for telling me how much 2 sticks of butter weigh, but I need to know how much my drone weighs!!!?!
Dec 14, 2015, 10:41 AM
Wow...just wow...it looks like the first one is free, or reimbursed after you pay, but every 3 years you have to re-register and pay your $5, or whatever they decide to raise it to...

Quick Reply