Thread Tools
Dec 31, 2015, 01:54 AM
Just plane Mad
paramtn's Avatar

scooter


Excellent idea to build one of these babies. I cannot tell you how many guys I have taught to slope with mine. They used to be fairly popular but have not seen another one for quite some time. They float really well in light stuff but get on pace well when the wind picks up. I have one programed twice on my radio. One for flight training the other for extreme rates. Instantly it changes into a le fish. I know most are not into that kind of flying but what a blast for honing your aerobatic skills. Mine is pretty beat up yet it still goes to the slope every time I go flying. Everyone should have at least one.

When I cover a tail set I use two layers of ultra coat or similar covering. Its amazing how much strength with little weight penalty it provides.

Ted with the Utah Gang at the Point.
Last edited by paramtn; Dec 31, 2015 at 01:58 AM. Reason: tail
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Dec 31, 2015, 10:24 AM
"PULL IT" -- S.L.
Any Day Flying's Avatar

Smooth Scootin'


She's looking great Aaron!! Can't wait to see her in person...
Dec 31, 2015, 10:50 AM
U down with EPP? Ya u know me!
Aerogance's Avatar
Thread OP
Thanks guys. I am hoping for a maiden by this weekend. I am eager to get her in the air. She looks like she will be a ton of fun. It has been many years since I have flown a dedicated sloper!
Dec 31, 2015, 04:12 PM
U down with EPP? Ya u know me!
Aerogance's Avatar
Thread OP
Fuselage had 3 coats of spackle on it. After installing the battery, wires and elevator servo I touched up the spackle. I masked off the wing and tail saddles and sprayed it with 3M 77. After letting that dry for a few hours, I taped the fuselage with Tesa strapping tape. Like the wing, I put a base layer of white Uline colored packing tape and then topped that with Orange Uline colored packing tape. I spread straight goop on the wing saddle and connected all wires before centering the wing on the fuselage. I also put a 1/8" goop bead around the wing to fuselage joint and placed the assembly inverted in the top wing beds with a few pounds of weight on top to hold it together while the goop kicks.
Dec 31, 2015, 09:25 PM
U down with EPP? Ya u know me!
Aerogance's Avatar
Thread OP
Tail feathers are covered and installed. All that is left to do is add the elevator control horn and pushrod and then balance the plane. She looks really good in person, can't wait to maiden this beast:
Jan 01, 2016, 12:01 AM
U down with EPP? Ya u know me!
Aerogance's Avatar
Thread OP
The Super Scooter is ready to fly! Weight after balancing is 41.5 oz. It may take 1/4 ounce or so to fine tune the CG. It doesn't feel terribly heavy so I think it will fly in a wide wind range. There is a ton of room in the fuselage to add a ballast bay during the build. I really like the looks of this plane and so I hope it flies as good as it looks!
Jan 01, 2016, 11:06 PM
U down with EPP? Ya u know me!
Aerogance's Avatar
Thread OP
I maidened the Super Scooter at Parker Mountain today. Wind was sufficient at 20-25mph. The maiden went very smooth and the plane required little trim for steady flight. It was a tad nose heavy so I added 1/4 oz of lead to the tail and the plane behaved very well. I can push the CG back a little more, but right now it measures 3 7/8" from the trailing edge of the foam.

We took turns flying the Super Scooter. We did slope aerobatics and DS. Bruce got a speed of 107mph and I got a speed of 104mph. The wind was slightly off angle and slightly bumpy, but at times the wind would straighten out and the Super Scooter would really accelerate quickly.

The Super Scooter is an excellent sloper and it turns out it DS's much better than expected. The longer tail moment and generous tail volume give it a pattern-ship feel on the front. At 42oz AUW, the Super Scooter is very capable in good wind. We discussed how well a heavy one would do and the consensus was that a 60 oz one should be a real ripper.

I shot a short video of Bruce's first flight with the Super Scooter:

Smooth Scootin' (3 min 2 sec)
Jan 04, 2016, 11:53 AM
U down with EPP? Ya u know me!
Aerogance's Avatar
Thread OP
The Super Scooter is now in production!

http://www.jwglider.com
Last edited by Aerogance; Feb 07, 2016 at 09:23 AM.
Jan 04, 2016, 12:25 PM
Objects in mirror are losing
1000MPH's Avatar
Ordered!
Jan 05, 2016, 01:33 AM
KG7NXX
SurfSloper's Avatar
That takes me back to junior high! I miss my scooter! Pat's planes where the best.
Jan 05, 2016, 03:04 PM
U down with EPP? Ya u know me!
Aerogance's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfSloper
That takes me back to junior high! I miss my scooter! Pat's planes where the best.
Pat really knows his stuff.
Jan 07, 2016, 01:58 AM
U down with EPP? Ya u know me!
Aerogance's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by paramtn
Excellent idea to build one of these babies. I cannot tell you how many guys I have taught to slope with mine. They used to be fairly popular but have not seen another one for quite some time. They float really well in light stuff but get on pace well when the wind picks up. I have one programed twice on my radio. One for flight training the other for extreme rates. Instantly it changes into a le fish. I know most are not into that kind of flying but what a blast for honing your aerobatic skills. Mine is pretty beat up yet it still goes to the slope every time I go flying. Everyone should have at least one.

When I cover a tail set I use two layers of ultra coat or similar covering. Its amazing how much strength with little weight penalty it provides.

Ted with the Utah Gang at the Point.
How much does yours weigh?
Jan 08, 2016, 10:02 PM
"PULL IT" -- S.L.
Any Day Flying's Avatar

Super Sweet Scootin'


I had a chance to fly that Super Scooter on the day of her maiden. She flies Amazingly Well~!!

Another Great job Aaron!

Super Sweet Indeed.
Jan 09, 2016, 10:01 PM
U down with EPP? Ya u know me!
Aerogance's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Any Day Flying
I had a chance to fly that Super Scooter on the day of her maiden. She flies Amazingly Well~!!

Another Great job Aaron!

Super Sweet Indeed.
Thank you!
Jan 09, 2016, 10:03 PM
Registered User
How do you campare the super scooter to the comanche?


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Build Log Super Scooter Aerogance Dynamic Soaring 1 Nov 27, 2015 10:14 AM
Sold Bowmans Super Scooter NIB slimefink Aircraft - Sailplanes (FS/W) 5 Nov 18, 2015 03:13 PM
Wanted Bowman's Hobbies Super Scooter or Scooter Any Day Flying Aircraft - Sailplanes (FS/W) 4 Oct 29, 2015 10:11 PM