Dec 13, 2015, 08:15 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

taft viper jet pusher prop

Dear friends.. i have just finished a project that i had in mine. To use a big edf jet as a fpv plane.. i bought a taft hobby viper jet as it was epo and had a good size with good flying caracteristic. I bought the kit only from taft hobby for $150$.

First chalenge was to fit a pusher motor as effective as possible .. powerful and light. That would give me enough thrust. Was a turnigy 4042 1300kv. 2.8kg of thrust appox at 55amps.with 4 s using a apc 10 x 5.5

trying to put a picture here. But seem very difficult due to low res only accepted
Last edited by arnauddecotter; Dec 13, 2015 at 09:37 AM. Reason: title change
to remove ads between posts
Dec 13, 2015, 08:37 AM
Thread OP
Second challenge was to fit the fpv gear without affecting the drag of the aircraft. Wanted a plane with min drag for good flight time and performance. I manage to find a camera that fitted perfectly into the nose. Aomway 700tvl mini cam . Video quality was awesome to my surprise .and camera is light . Come with the cables that fit straight into the aomway 500mw vtx fitted into the front landing gear compartment. See pic
Last edited by arnauddecotter; Dec 13, 2015 at 08:40 AM. Reason: cant put picture
Dec 13, 2015, 08:46 PM
Thread OP

inside size

Here is a pic of the size . For the equiptment.. the beauty of edf is there is plenty of space through the all fuselage. For eg my esc 80amp turnigy is in the ducting were the edf fan was suppose to go this getting plenty of cooling and easy access.
Dec 15, 2015, 02:42 AM
Thread OP

vtx and antenna location

Inside the front landing gear
Dec 15, 2015, 02:44 AM
Thread OP

protecting servos

Protecting the servos and push rods from belly landing
Dec 15, 2015, 02:47 AM
Thread OP

belly landing solution

Floats from 182 cessna. Hard epo ..light and aerodynamic .. make sure the ground contact point is forward to cg.overwise the nose will dig in on landing.
Dec 16, 2015, 01:02 AM
Registered Offender
Okay....

How do you launch?

Do you have some sort of antenna tracker or are you omni?

Were those flaps as well on the wings?

What's your flight time like?

This is an awesome setup, wish there was a video to see...

Nietzsche
Dec 16, 2015, 01:49 AM
Thread OP
Hi.. my friend hand launch it while i keep my hand on the controls. The launch is very easy.. was expecting a big dip in height but it goes straight up. I use a antenna tracker. Only done 2 km and 1km altitude on maiden. I have flaps on the wings but it launch only with half flaps. I only use it for landings if weather is too calm.
Dec 16, 2015, 05:09 AM
Aeronca Champin'
A video would be nice! In EDF form the Taft Viper is an amazing plane, but sucks a ton of power.
Dec 16, 2015, 06:01 AM
looks very nice, have you got any flight video?
Dec 16, 2015, 06:10 AM
Thread OP
Yes i do. But dont know how to unload a video here.. the pusher configuration makes the viper very efficient.
Dec 16, 2015, 01:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnauddecotter
Yes i do. But dont know how to unload a video here.. the pusher configuration makes the viper very efficient.
Load it on Youtube and paste a link into the message here. Like this:

Talon FPV after the first snow (3 min 20 sec)
Dec 16, 2015, 08:30 PM
Thread OP
Unfortunately i only had the maiden last week. I havent set up the recording cam on board. I do have a small video poor quality recorded from the screen.. but pretty crap.

fpv viper jet (3 min 59 sec)
Dec 17, 2015, 09:12 AM
That's not crap - It's a very nice and informative video displaying the performance of you pusher jet. You seem to be cruising at an average of 85km/h at 9A. Very impressive!!!
Dec 17, 2015, 06:03 PM
Thread OP
Thanks mike.. if you want to make one.. which i would recommend to anyone that want a all weather fpv plane that looks awesome

i will gladly help to make it and send all the links to parts you need and the tips. As it is a bit tricky to make to get this performance

Quick Reply