Dec 12, 2015, 05:24 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Looking for some advice for an entry level battery charger

I'm looking for some advice for an entry level battery charger. Will this charger do the trick for charging some drone batteries or do I need to invest ore money into something better?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Turnigy-Accu...3D262174792701
to remove ads between posts
Dec 12, 2015, 05:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubplate
I'm looking for some advice for an entry level battery charger. Will this charger do the trick for charging some drone batteries

For starters you need to specify which batteries you will be charging. There are drones and then there are drones. Their batteries run from 1S 250mAh all the way to 6S 5000mAh. That is a huge range.

or do I need to invest more money into something better?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Turnigy-Accu...3D262174792701
The Turnigy Accucell-6 is a 50 watt charger. As such it will charge anything from a 1S 250mAh to a 4S 3000mAh. That is charging a single battery at a 1C rate. For batteries larger than that or for multiple batteries you should consider a charger with a higher wattage rating. To determine the charger wattage required for a given battery multiply the fully charged pack voltage by the Ah. Ex: a 3S 2200mAh battery would require a 28W charger (12.6V * 2.2A = 27.72W.)

In addition to the charger you will need a DC power supply. The rating would be 12V at 7 amps (about 80 watts).

May I suggest you read this: http://www.tjinguytech.com/charging-how-tos
There is a wealth of information there on LiPo batteries and charging.

May I also suggest that anytime you reference a battery state both the cell count and the mAh. One without the other is meaningless.

Glen
Dec 12, 2015, 06:20 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for the information. I'll be sitting down and reading through the link you posted in a few minutes. Thanks for taking the time to post this response.
Dec 12, 2015, 07:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubplate
Thanks for the information. I'll be sitting down and reading through the link you posted in a few minutes. Thanks for taking the time to post this response.
Great choice. Learn the basics, then come back if you have follow up questions. The folks here are very willing to help.
Dec 12, 2015, 08:14 PM
I have a thunder power 610c ac / dc charger and love it, charges 6 of my 3s packs up in about an hour, and i dont need a power supply.I also have one new in the box, never used for 90 bucks shipped, it's normally 125. Can't go wrong for an entry level charger in my opinion
Dec 13, 2015, 11:33 PM
I am looking for a charger. I just bought the syma X8W n X8G. It uses the 7.4v 2000mAh battery. Will this charger work for me?
Dec 14, 2015, 12:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyd2109
I am looking for a charger. I just bought the syma X8W n X8G. It uses the 7.4v 2000mAh battery. Will this charger work for me?
I don't know. You haven't said which charger.

Glen
Dec 14, 2015, 01:00 PM
Suspended Account
yes mikey this charger will work for you (accell 6 one listed in 1st post). if your going to use it to charge that battery or 2 in parallel it will work..just remember you will have to set charger to charge at 4 amps for 2 in parallel.. ..

I dont think this charger will work for a 4 cell I have a few and unless you get more than 12.5Volts you will get the dreaded voltage error or cell count error. I have personal experience with this issue.. so if ur gonna run a 4 cell to charge get a Higher Voltage power supply not a 12v pone.
Dec 21, 2015, 05:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by losi man
yes mikey this charger will work for you (accell 6 one listed in 1st post). if your going to use it to charge that battery or 2 in parallel it will work..just remember you will have to set charger to charge at 4 amps for 2 in parallel.. ..

I dont think this charger will work for a 4 cell I have a few and unless you get more than 12.5Volts you will get the dreaded voltage error or cell count error. I have personal experience with this issue.. so if ur gonna run a 4 cell to charge get a Higher Voltage power supply not a 12v pone.
Do you have any idea on how long will that take for Accucell-6 for fully charge X8G/X8C battery ? the batery is 2S 2000 mah 7.4v with standard charger it takes 3 1/2 hours
Dec 21, 2015, 10:28 AM
For entry level charging you can't beat the price of the Accucell 6.

They are so inexpensive you can buy several and still be ahead.
Dec 22, 2015, 09:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by balkie
Do you have any idea on how long will that take for Accucell-6 for fully charge X8G/X8C battery ? the batery is 2S 2000 mah 7.4v with standard charger it takes 3 1/2 hours
About 20 minutes. However, you would need to determine the rated charge rate for the battery. If you push the full 6 amps to it that the charger is capable of, that represents a 3C charge rate. If the battery is rated for that, you are good to go.

Quick Reply