Dec 10, 2015, 10:56 AM
Thread OP
Help!

How to clean a build?

So I made my first flights flying FPV and I am getting confident. Weather in Germany is cold right now but not freezing, so all the fields are wet and muddy. Today after making a sharp turn and loosing to much altitude I landed in said mud.

There is mud everywhere. PDB, motors (not inside just on top), cables, Naze etc.. It's not a lot, just spots everywhere. How do I clean all the parts. My guess is letting it dry and using a toothbrush?
to remove ads between posts
Dec 10, 2015, 05:50 PM
"Prince of the Forest"
I would take the quad apart and use a soft dry tooth brush to clean off the components. Be very careful not to break any components off the flight control of leave reside. Then cover everything in liquid electrical tape so the problem doesn't happen again.
Dec 10, 2015, 06:16 PM
I void warranties
You can get all the parts wet (yes even the motors, infact they'll actually run underwater without issue) just don't power it back up till it's totally dry. The thing that messes it up is water causing shorts between components. If you're really worried you can use distilled water, it doesn't conduct so you could actually power up totally submerged.

One thing to be wary of is to not trust the baro for a few days (if you have one or use any altitude hold modes) after being wet.
Dec 10, 2015, 08:51 PM
Also make sure there is no grit left in the motor because when you power up the motor it will act like sand paper inside and destroy your bearings and staters. A low powered air compressor may help too to dry out parts and blow away loose debris but I would keep the pressure pretty low and indirect so you don't damage your electronics.
Dec 10, 2015, 09:24 PM
Team AlienWarpSquad
I have put the copter under running water and scrub with a Tooth brush or Acid brush.
Rinse with distilled water, blow off excess water with compressed air and dry completely.
I dry the copter on the exhaust of a De-humidifier. At work we dry boards after washing in a oven set to 125F (50C) for 12 to 24 hours.
Dec 11, 2015, 04:53 AM
Thread OP
It's so surreal hearing I could clean it with water ! Makes sense when I think about it, but still strange. Thanks for the input I'll try it when I get back home today.

Quick Reply