Dec 09, 2015, 10:15 PM
Bay Area Model Flyers aka BAMF
Thread OP
Discussion

3rd Annual Sunset Beach Camp n' Fly event! April 30-May 1st!!

Ok guys, date is set for next year's Fun Fly even at Sunset State Beach in Watsonville, Ca. Great lift, great friends, great time. Here is where to make camping reservations. http://www.reserveamerica.com/facili...&parkId=120094
Camping is $35 a night. Try to get campsites between 1-37. Closest to the hill. Other sites are fine if none left.

April 30th - May 1st.

Join the party and camp and fly. Bring any slope glider. From balsa to mouldie to foam. Saturday night BBQ. I will bring basics, Dogs and Burgers. Please chime in and let me know how many I need to buy for!!!!

Looking forward to another great event.

Jeremy
Last edited by Diceman89; Dec 18, 2015 at 08:37 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 09, 2015, 11:15 PM
On the Go Fly List
It's on my calendar!

Adam
Dec 09, 2015, 11:19 PM
I just picked up spot 035. Right next to Jer and Chad!
Dec 09, 2015, 11:22 PM
I'm now 1MikeR
Same spot as last year for me too, #15! WooHoo!

Mike
Dec 10, 2015, 12:09 AM
IT'S NOSE HEAVY!!!!
Gonna poach a spot with Dice, hehe. Who's cooking this year?
Dec 10, 2015, 12:50 AM
Thread OP
Um..,, you Chad.
Dec 10, 2015, 12:08 PM
Aeronca Driver
I am in. Site 34
Dec 10, 2015, 12:24 PM
Hey guys, post up some pics from the past events.

This is a great event and always a lot of fun. If you live within a 5 hour drive, you should plan to attend, if you are a 10 hour drive, you should add it to your bucket list.

It is always great to get together on a slope with like minded folks, and even more fun when you can camp right next to the slope!!

-Wayne
Dec 10, 2015, 01:50 PM
Thread OP
Chad and I are in camp 3.
Dec 14, 2015, 03:10 PM
IT'S NOSE HEAVY!!!!
In a fit of inspiration, i put fingers to keyboard and banged away...

Yawning and stretching just outside the tent/trailer/RV, you inhale the pristine coastal air of Sunset State Beach. To the left and still sleeping is your old-time friend from Napa 1.5 hours to the north. Camping to the right is a brand-new friend from Visalia, 3 hours southeast. Behind you are three RCGroup-ers you never knew were local...cool! Folks from far and wide have gathered for the annual Sunset Beach camp 'n' fly weekend, just south of SF bay area.
   After a completely satisfying camping-morning routine, the cool air is warming and a breeze starts to nudge the overhead Oak leaves. Sifting through a pile of planes, you grab your favorite light lift slope soarer. It's truly a delight to walk unencumbered with only a plane and transmitter the 130(?) yards to the sand dune. Your spirit soars upwards along with the plane. How can one express the joy of 9am aerobatics- of the sun at your back- of air so quiet that one discovers a Dreamflight Libelle actually whistles when it speeds up!
   When the early flying session is interrupted by the need for lunch, a returning stroll has you meandering throughout the campground. There's a buzz of activity with planes strewn eveywhere. The continous talk of radio gear, aerodynamics, the FAA, and crude bar jokes has you wondering if the overhead birds enjoy our chitter chattering as much as we enjoy theirs? Everything from silly foam planes to silly expensive carbon ones are being assembled and tested. Excitement grows along with the wind speed.
   The next stroll to the L.Z. is a jaw dropping eye opener! Dozens of planes fill every nook and cranny of dune vegetation. Planes fill the air space. Friends fill the ground space. Games abound! Some play "kick the can" with a soda can on the fence railing while racers try to out turn each other. Games of spot landings or floating as high as possible. Games of trying to knock each other out of the sky. Most exciting are the "beach runs". An F3F plane diving from great heights down to the sand until the plane and shadow are as close together as the pilot dares, with a climb out of epic proportions, is truly a sight to behold.
    The lift deepens to amazing proportions- far, wide, and high...in fact, as far right as you can safely see the largest of planes. The flying continues into the warmly orange light of evening, and eventually the LZ slips into sublime dusk with only the rhythm of waves far below.
   Meanwhile, back at camp, the air is filled with the sights and sounds of friends' back-slapping laughter over the day's antics- of a small group mourning the losses of flight casualties- of the smells of cooking, campfires, bbq, as well as the taste of a nice IPA on yours lips. The stories go late into the night...but the best part? It's only Saturday night with tomorrow to enjoy!
   The annual comraderie of a large group of wildly different yet somehow like minded glider-guiders pulled together from far and wide is an amazing thing to be part of. New friends, old friends, lots of memories, epic flying site...I preduct this annual event will continue for years to come.
Dec 14, 2015, 04:34 PM
Wow Chad, I didn't know you could paint such a pretty picture with your words.

Now this thread could really use some photos!

-Wayne
Dec 14, 2015, 10:10 PM
Thread OP
Thank you Chad for a great description of the Camp n' Fly event! Well done.
Dec 14, 2015, 11:11 PM
On the Go Fly List
And we have to wait until May? Is it too early to start charging the batteries?

Adam
Dec 15, 2015, 03:32 PM
Thread OP
Good idea Adam. Get to cycling your batteries!
Dec 15, 2015, 03:43 PM
Steve and I are in for sure. Splitting a camp site on site #8

Quick Reply