Dec 09, 2015, 08:47 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Hyperion EOS Sentry 3 Battery Checker

Hyperion is proud to announce the New Hyperion Sentry3 2~8S Battery Checker & Balancer, with Store Mode Discharge.

Hyperion was the first to introduce the Sentry line of graphical battery checkers almost a decade ago. After years of feedback and in-the-field use we have reached the pinnacle of battery checking technology. What makes the Sentry 3 unique is the built-in battery discharger that will safely and quickly discharge your LiPo/HvLi packs to a safe 3.8v for storage.

Keeping a battery fully-charged while not in use will decrease the cycle life, mah capacity, discharge performance, and can even lead to packs swelling. Plug the Sentry 3 to the balance tab of your batteries and select "Store" mode and just walk-away while the Sentry 3 does all the work.

The EOS Sentry3 is a quick, clever, and convenient device for analyzing your batteries. The Sentry3 shows at a glance the remaining capacity in your battery pack, cell balance, cell voltages and gap. Stand-alone Balance and Store Modes at industry-leading discharge performance. Sentry 3 provides the information and tools you need to maintain top performance and reliability from your batteries, and to avoid costly mistakes.

Features

- 2S ~ 8S Battery compatible with HvLi LiPo, Standard LiPo, LiFe. NiCd, and NiMh capable
- EOS Sentry 3 displays the total battery pack voltage and a percentage bar graph for estimated remaining capacity
- View screens for Minimum and Maximum cell voltages, and max cell Gap
- Store Mode allows you to discharge your battery to 3.8V (Discharge rate is a powerful 150mah)
- Balance Mode tunes your pack for performance automatically
- 5 ~ 25V auxiliary input voltage check port using JST 2-pin connectors on pack side
- Large clear display and easy-to-use menu
- Powered from the battery pack you connect for testing. No batteries needed for device.

Store Mode: Allows you to discharge your HvLi, LiPo, LiFe to 3.8V for storage. Discharge rate for Store mode is 150mah and will cutoff to 3.8V.

Balance Mode:
Will automatically discharge the individual lithium-based cells such that they are closely balanced, if balance can be obtained while all cells remain at or above 3.8V.

Available for purchase from AirCraft-World.com
To find a USA retailer near you click here

Sale Price: $18.95

Battery Chart:
http://www.aircraft-world.com/dl-229...-BattChart.pdf

※This battery checker is compatible with JST-XH balance adapter when you use directly otherwise require each type of balance board adapter.
In order to use Sentry 3 with the legacy Hyperion G3 packs with Hyperion-style balance connector, connect the battery Sentry 3 via HP-EOSLBA-26CBL cable + HP-EOSLBA-26HP-B multi-adapter board or HP-EOSLBA-7UCBL cable + HP-EOSLBA-7U-B multi-adapter board. These cable&adapter sets are included with Hyperion 6S and 7S chargers. Hyperion G3 packs produced after mid-2014 and all Hyperion G6 HvLi packs use XH balaance connectors and need no adapters to the Sentry 3.

※ NiMh can be checked between 5V~25V using JST connector. JST connector with cable (click here) can be used to make an adapter to other-type pack connectors

※WARNING: Do not keep the Sentry3 connected to your battery for extremely long periods of time while in "STORE" mode. Do not leave your Sentry 3 connected to “STORE” mode once it reaches near 0% battery capacity. Parasitic draw from the internal components will cause the battery to fully-discharge past recommended voltages, thus rendering your battery pack not useful.
Last edited by HyperionRocks; Mar 22, 2016 at 02:46 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 10, 2015, 12:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionRocks View Post
- Store Mode allows you to discharge your battery to 3.8V (Discharge rate is a powerful 150mah)
I guess 150mA (not mah) discharge rate is relative and some may not consider this to be 'powerful'.

At 150mA, it would take ~20 hours to discharge a single 5000mAh lipoly to 3.8V (60% DOD). Some may not consider this to be 'quick'.

Looks like it'd do the trick for very tiny lipolys if one is not in any hurry at all.

Good luck!
Dec 10, 2015, 04:16 PM
Thread OP
The Sentry 3 is designed to be a "walk-away" discharger, plug it in and forget it until your ready for charging again.

150mah is the maximum discharge rate for a standalone unit that does not use an auxiliary power source. To "store" mode a fully-charged 2100mah battery it will take about 6~7 hours.
Dec 21, 2015, 05:46 PM

Might be new but already sold out!

Dec 21 here in Oz ... No good trying to buy one now though, they're apparently already sold out according to their website? ... although they are advertised to earlier customers in their latest sales email together with other gear ...
Daffy.
P.S. ... my earlier version actually works well.
Dec 22, 2015, 08:40 AM
Sufferin sucotash!!!!
While the added discharge function is not of much use to me, if I didn't already own the original Eos, I'd certainly be ordering this new version
Pete
Dec 27, 2015, 07:19 PM
Does this support 1s lipos...?

I have seen some advertisements claiming it will do 1s-8s, while others state 2s-8s.
Dec 28, 2015, 12:43 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickthenorse View Post
Does this support 1s lipos...?

I have seen some advertisements claiming it will do 1s-8s, while others state 2s-8s.
Minimum input voltage is 5v, so 1S input is not possible.
Dec 28, 2015, 12:49 AM
I tried a storage discharge on one of my 3S packs. The pack was completely discharged when I checked it the next day, so I don't trust it to shut off when it should.
Dec 28, 2015, 12:58 AM
The Other Side of Your Screen
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionRocks View Post
The Sentry 3 is designed to be a "walk-away" discharger, plug it in and forget it until your ready for charging again.

150mah is the maximum discharge rate for a standalone unit that does not use an auxiliary power source. To "store" mode a fully-charged 2100mah battery it will take about 6~7 hours.
I keep seeing people that should know leave out some major parts of this Discharge Capability.

So, how many max WATTS can it handle discharging. That 2100mah battery .... what is it 1S or 12S? We can't calculate it unless we know WATTS.
Dec 30, 2015, 09:26 PM

Hyperion EOS Sentry 3 Battery Checker

I just tried it with another 3S pack and it drained the pack to 3.77V/cell before I stopped it. Maybe I'm not setting it right; there weren't any instructions. When I get to the STORE mode, "Store" and "3S" flash continuously and I just leave it there.
Dec 30, 2015, 09:45 PM
Bo Edstrom, Sweden
Hi,

Does it have any load testing capabilities?

Compare:
http://www.jramericas.com/234809/JRPB04037/
0.3mAh load test for NiMH packs gives accurate reading of battery's performance under load

/Bo
Dec 31, 2015, 12:56 AM
No, the Sentry 3 doesn't do load testing.
Jan 02, 2016, 08:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Black Duck View Post
Dec 21 here in Oz ... No good trying to buy one now though, they're apparently already sold out according to their website? ... although they are advertised to earlier customers in their latest sales email together with other gear ...
Daffy.
P.S. ... my earlier version actually works well.
Update ... They are apparently onsale again, and because I can't locate my earlier version. I ordered a new one, with a discount for December subtracted. ... not much but every little bit helps .. ... Unfortunately most of the gain was lost due to shipping from Japan, and the very low exchange rate that Paypal use against the AU$.
But it is such a good unit at a little over AU$65 total cost, that I thought it wise to get one.
Dunno if the 10% discount still aplies now though?
What'll probably happen now is that I'll find the old one .. ?? ...
Daffy ... and a Happy New Flying Year to all!
Last edited by Little Black Duck; Jan 02, 2016 at 08:23 PM.
Jan 02, 2016, 08:21 PM
Y'know, reading through this thread, I personally don't reckon that this unit should be used to discharge Lipos to storage level ... that's what your Charger is for!! ... this, as the name says, is a Checker, now with a few added extras, that can be carried in your pocket for use at the field, as well as at home just before you go! Just my 'd'ruthers
Daffy
Last edited by Little Black Duck; Jan 02, 2016 at 08:34 PM.
Jan 03, 2016, 06:33 PM
Any reason why I would get different readings with the original eos sentry and this one. Thanks

Quick Reply